Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty interesting concept from VW for US market released yesterday at the NY autoshow.

Here are two stories:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/03/28/volkswagen-atlas-tanoak-pickup-truck-new-york-auto-show/464763002/

The Volkswagen Atlas Tanoak is an all-American pickup | Fox News

The article indicated nearly 10" of ground clearance, which is decent for what this is...a front wheel drive, with ability to drive rear wheels too, unibody Atlas with the back chopped off.

Curious what others think, personally I am not opposed to unibody as I think it is ultimately stronger if done right (Touareg for example). However, I think the front wheel drive with rear kicking in is backwards and just wrong. Also the engine choice is something that is not appropriate.

I DO love the looks and LED grill and tailgate...very cool direction. I dig the styling between the bed and cab too...since it is unibody it looks better than trying to pretend they are separate.

Wished their was away to do unibody where the cab and chasis were one and the bed was bolted onto the floor...so that if you mess it up, you could replace it.

The comments online were mostly around what the word "truck" means-this obviosly isn't an F150, but it could be quite capable if done right. I never thought I would be towing a 32' travel trailer with a Touareg, but it tows like a dream and the unibody feels much more "planted" than body on frame, which feels like you have no idea what is going on at the asphalt.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
They are a little late in the game. The Japanese learned that Americans love BIG TRUCKS 15 years ago.

It looks like a good competitor to the Ridgeline, since it's unibody.

If a body on frame pickup gets hit in the rear, it's often totalled because the frame ends up being bent. Same same, but different.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It looks awesome and if I needed a mid-sized truck, I'd consider it but, and here comes the but, the 0-60 is something like 8.5 with that same, ancient VR6 that they keep stuffing under their hoods.

When will they come out with a better motor? It is slower than the Ridgeline and I'm no fan of the Ridgeline at all.

Too bad there just won't be a Gen3 of the 3.0L V6 TDI.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the 3.6 is officially an old, slow, inefficient dinosaur motor. Time to move on to something...

Was thinking with all their EV planning they could perhaps do gas generator with electric plug in (batteries and regen capability). The torque output on a setup like that would be awesome for towing and it wouldn't be a front wheel drive AWD setup, rather more like a true 4x4 as the electric motors have good torque at very low speeds like low range and the front and rear axel could be locked as far as output speed for offroad.

The plug in part would be cool only because over short trips you wouldn't need to start the generator.

Another picture...

The second picture in the bed is a sort of pass thru to the cab where a long board could be still carried Inn the bed (just over five feet long), but with the tailgate shut. The other end of the board obviously being in the cab. Kinda odd but cool I guess. I would much rather the rear window just rolled down like Toyota.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
With the layout being front wheel drive with an option too engage the rear, sounds like the original Subaru Brat setup. I would have thought after all the years they would have come up with something better than that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Yeti
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing