Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my 17 year old son got into a head on collision in our new GTI on Sunday. All the airbags deployed and no one was seriously injured.

Maybe it was my fault by giving him a hot hatch to drive. I replaced the GTI with a low miles Q5 Premium Plus.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad all that safety stuff worked and he's ok.

Yes, GTIs encourage impetuous driving behavior. ;)
They sure do!

I'm going to wait for a MK8 Golf R to arrive because they are lots of fun to drive (and they don't have a red stripe on the grill) :)

Must've been a lower speed impact.

Glad everyone is OK. Vehicles can be replaced.

Hopefully your 17 yr old has gotten it "out of his system" and won't have any more wrecks.
:- )
Police estimated speed on impact was 35 MPH and yes, vehicles can be replaced.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
Here in trhe UK, car insurance for young drivers is very high and can be the equivalent of $1,500 or more for a small car with a small engine.

Your Golf would be a lot more, possibly $5,000 for a 17 year old and with a very high excess in the event of a shunt.

And insurers have clamped right down on "fronting" where parents claim to be the main driver of their children's cars which used to be a way of keeping car insurance costs down.

So now, to, keep costs down a lot of companies insist on the car having a black box that records everything and transmits data about their driving as the youngster drives.

There's usually a monthly mileage limit but if you drive well you can earn extra miles.

And a time limit - no late night/early hours journeys for example.

Drive badly, and it is quite possible that if you accelerate hard, brake hard, and exceed the posted speed limits that you will get a text message cancelling the insurance as you drive!

You get 6 penalty points on your licence for no insurance and since you only have 6 points to play with for the first two years anyway, that means you have to retake your driving licence test all over again.

So cars being driven like Aunt Sally may now be young drivers taking care!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I always wondered how it works state side for youngsters driving premium, large cubic capacity cars which kids in the UK couldn't even dream about owning or afford to run. Really glad your son was ok!

Out of interest how much roughly does it cost to insure a 17 year old on a car like that? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It appears the insurance companies in the U.K. are keeping the teens (and others on the road) safe by charging so much to insure young drivers. Here in our state, insurance companies are by law not allowed to charge more for younger drivers even though they cost more to insure. After filing a claim or two, rates will defiantly go up. We have accident forgiveness which I will take advantage of and hopefully our son will keep from getting into another accident. For the time being, he is only allowed to drive to school, work and practice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It appears the insurance companies in the U.K. are keeping the teens (and others on the road) safe by charging so much to insure young drivers. Here in our state, insurance companies are by law not allowed to charge more for younger drivers even though they cost more to insure. After filing a claim or two, rates will defiantly go up. We have accident forgiveness which I will take advantage of and hopefully our son will keep from getting into another accident. For the time being, he is only allowed to drive to school, work and practice.
Sounds about right for the UK, to be fair pretty much the entire country is overflowing with cars so part of it will be pricing people off the roads. I wish we had the same rates for the price of fuel too although many places have hit an all time low of £1.12 a litre at the moment, no doubt it wont last.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Good old VW, they have been making safe cars for some time now. I too wrecked a newer beautiful black 1988 GLI when I was in high school. I still remember the body shop pointing out the hood latch / hinge system that hooked onto a firewall bracket at impact, keeping my hood from coming through the windshield at my head (I was going too fast---way too fast, and got wedged under a pickup when I couldn't stop...). I have since been VW for life.

Later in life a friend's son rolled a new 2006 GLI down an embankment at a high rate of speed, his son and friend walked away. They immediately bought another VW...this time a low powered Golf.

Glad your son is ok :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.