Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this topic has come up in the past but I haven't been able to find any threads.

My 2012 is due for the 40k service (the first one I have to pay for). The dealer quoted me $950 for the service. I imagine going to a corner garage would be cheaper but being pretty complicated machines requiring computer updates etc, I'm not sure having them service it would be a good idea. And I wonder if servicing at vw is better for resale value in the long run ....but I also don't want to overpay

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
That price seems high. I think my 40k was around $720. A good indy shop specializing in German autos is something to consider, too.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Computer updates are rarely necessary and if they are, you will be advised by the dealer to bring it in. There is NOTHING in a 40K mi service that a good independent shop cannot do. Most even have computer systems such as VAG-Com [VCDS] to read and reset electronic systems.

·
Registered
499 Posts
When I first got my Touareg I paid an Indy shop to do my 80k service and it came out just under $500 for everything. But I looked into it for my 100k service and decided to do it myself. It cost me under $250 for everything, including paying a shop to do my oil change since I didn't feel like crawling around on the floor. The fuel filter is a super easy job, just be careful of those small cap head bolts that hold the lid on.

In no way should it EVER cost someone $950 for an oil change, fuel filter, cabin air filter, engine air filter and general visual inspection. That is crazy talk. It takes an hour for all of it on a lift.

Oh and the only electronics that need to be adjusted are the service and inspection intervals reset.

·
Registered
399 Posts
That price seems high. I think my 40k was around $720. A good indy shop specializing in German autos is something to consider, too.
Agreed. $950 for a 40K service is too pricey. I paid $750 for mine at a VW dealership. Keep shopping around.

·
Registered
411 Posts
When I first got my Touareg I paid an Indy shop to do my 80k service and it came out just under $500 for everything. But I looked into it for my 100k service and decided to do it myself. It cost me under $250 for everything, including paying a shop to do my oil change since I didn't feel like crawling around on the floor. The fuel filter is a super easy job, just be careful of those small cap head bolts that hold the lid on. In no way should it EVER cost someone $950 for an oil change, fuel filter, cabin air filter, engine air filter and general visual inspection. That is crazy talk. It takes an hour for all of it on a lift. Oh and the only electronics that need to be adjusted are the service and inspection intervals reset.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner. My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'm sure this topic has come up in the past but I haven't been able to find any threads.

My 2012 is due for the 40k service (the first one I have to pay for). The dealer quoted me $950 for the service. I imagine going to a corner garage would be cheaper but being pretty complicated machines requiring computer updates etc, I'm not sure having them service it would be a good idea. And I wonder if servicing at vw is better for resale value in the long run ....but I also don't want to overpay

Any advice appreciated!
Unauthorized corner garage service will make manufacturer's warranty void, however it's not applicable for 3 years old VW. Agree with other members as to the difficulty of the works involved. There is nothing mech Joe couldn't do (dependably and hassle-free).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts