Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2010 Touareg TDI with 4-corner air suspension. I have taken very good care of my car but every time my car goes into a dealership for service, it comes back with some kind of damage or incompetent tech work. I just got my car back from the dealer having the car for about six weeks trying to solve a rain water leak. My car is still collecting water in the passenger footwell. I now believe the water is coming in from the replacement windshield - also work done at a VW dealership.

I have driven a bunch of cars, looking for a replacement but there are none as good as this one.

It pains me to see the lousy job done on my car. I need help getting my car fixed, but I have no faith in any dealership’s work. Yet they have my money, say they want to help me and the replacement parts list is adding up.

Do others feel like VW has let you down in regards to the service their car gets?

Does anyone have a person to contact, someone I can get in touch with?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Try a lemon law..... not a state one. There is the federal Magnus and Moss Warranty act. Used it for my Ford Expedition years ago..

Or.... find another dealership. This leak sounds like nothing more than a clogged sunroof drain tube or a drain tube from the A/C condenser.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, those have been checked. I told them to check there and I know they did because when I got home all of those panels and the gasket around the engine bay were not snapped down. That is also not where the water is coming in.

The majority of the water drips from the middle of the passenger a-pillar, but that is when I park nose down a grade. If I park tail down, I get water in the trunk.

The sunroof channels were cleaned, wind deflector and sunroof weather strip were also replaced.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
To check the bulkheads drains are really clear you need to go in underneath via the wheel arches as per the how-to I posted so you can pull the rubber grommets/valves to inspect for debris you can't see from the top.

However, a quick way to see if they are clear is to place a hosepipe at the base of the windscreen, leave it running gently for a minute or so and then look into the wheel arch to see if water is running out from behind the plastic wheel arch liner.

Ideally you park the car sideways on a slope to check the lowest side, then turn the car around and repeat.

Water in the trunk can be caused by the drains at the top of the tailgate opening being blocked. Here's another how-to:

Tailgate / Rear Hatch water leak - myTreg forums

·
Registered
734 Posts
Have you tried to find a good private mechanic?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yes, there are some less than stellar staff at VW's dealers. I have had a few run ins with them over the years too. That said, finding a water leak that isn't in your "typical" places (if you have already checked out the sunroof drains and bulkhead as others have said) can be a REAL PAIN and require a lot of patience.

Growing up, my folks had a car that had a slow leak, ultimately no one could find the source...dealer...private mechanic nada. My dad was bound and determined to find the leak, so he gutted the side moldings and carpet, and for about a month I have memories of being driven around in a gutted car. He did find the leak, a manufacture defect didn't completely seal two parts of the unibody together with an adhesive sealant (welded + adhesive for seal then painted over). Wheel spray would blow up into a cavity in the wheel well which would result in the leak. As such putting it under the hose did nothing. He was able to fix and it never leaked again.

Moral of the story, if you like the Treg, have the dealer or private mechanic remove the A pillar molding, possibly the headliner (or at least enough to see above it perhaps from one side) on the side the leak is on. Then drive it a while...soon you will see your leak. If you don't follow the trail and remove other moldings as needed. Expensive if you have to pay, but you WILL find your leak.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried to find a good private mechanic?
I have not tried to look. I spent $500 to get this started at a dealership and now another $1000 for the second time. They have close to 30hrs in the car and should know my situation well. I don't know if I could take the stress of starting with a new mechanic now. I was going to try another mechanic before the second time but this dealer said they would fix it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spiegelglatt,

Your dad was very determined. If I had the time and a garage I might try that. I know I would take better care of my car than anyone else.

The dealership did have my car's headliner laying on folded down seats and all the pillars off and outside of the car. Both the mechanic and service manager sat in my car under a custom made shower and watched for leaks. At the point of not finding a leak for two hours - they thought they had fixed it and wanted to give it back to me. A lot of the damage must have come from the disassembly and re-assembly of all the removed panels.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Problem with custom made showers is they still don't produce the exact conditions in which your vehicle leaks. You must drive the vehicle with the bits that cover the source removed to find the true source, and this may take time. I am sure pulling a replacing increase risk of something getting scuffed (especially sitting out of you car)...but water damage is worse. Note also that some very important electronics are in your floor too and on that side, so time is of the essence.

If you are going to return to a dealer or a independent you might offer up front to drive with it torn apart until you find the leak, then take copious pictures and notes when the leak is found or drive straight back.

Edit: if you do this, figure out a way to take your trim or headliner home and store it in a back room away from people, pets, and children it will always be safer at your place and things won't get lost.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did not know they were going to take that much apart. Also my car mainly leaks when parked. The two times water came in while driving it came from the upper center console and while turning or braking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts