Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Gotta agree with Eugene here......couple of points.......when you buy a vehicle today you truly are at the mercy of the manufacturer which in itself is pathetic. You buy a vehicle,but you cannot do what you want with it, when you want because it can be held against you to void the warranty. Complete BS! I buy the vehicle and if I want to change the oil or windshield wash fluid at 100 miles I should have every right to. Why is it now I buy a vehicle, it's in my name, I am financially responsible for it, but I cannot do anything to it to enhance it's longevity until it is past 3yrs/36k miles....just seems extremely wack to me!!........Niner, you preach to make sure they do that, and watch them do this and that, but I have never seen or been to any dealer of any brand that will actually allow you into the service area or allow you to speak directly to the mechanic doing the work. First, it is against OSHA and insurance regulations for any non employee to enter the work/service area. Secondly, all the techs have to follow what the book/ manual tells them to do. No service manager is gonna allow their employees to do anything besides what the manual says because it opens them up to liability and costs extra time and money. It's also kinda like you telling the low wage grill boy how to cook your burger. You tell him he has to flip it 3 times every three minutes so you have it just the way you like. When you look away he spits in it so you have it just the way you like. You don't tell a mechanic how to do their job!!!.........Every vehicle I have bought I buy it and drive it cause it is a vehicle, it is meant to be driven, not coddled and pampered. You say you got a Sport model, why is that?....you too cheap to get and Exec or Lux model...I'm just asking cause you just said, "cheap owners and TDIs blah blah make poor partners"...well your pretty cheap to just buy the Sport model. What's up with that???.....It appears you like to drive around on a ticking time bomb or at least that's the way you view your Treg and like Eugene said it's like your trying to hype up some type of hysteria over the fuel pump when ultimately NOTHING CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT! VW has more resources than any of us and will always win. It is what it is and every brand has it's faults. Ford just recalled some thousands of vehicles. Toyota did few months ago. So are we all supposed to sell our Tregs and buy a death trap Prius?

How about this sentiment.....you only live once, so buy a 50k+ German engineered vehicle, baby it when you want to and other times ride it like a raped date and enjoy life. If you have the funds to afford such a vehicle then just drive and if things go wrong, oh well **** happens, that's life......and that's applicable to any brand at any price.

Supposedly with all of your experience with VWs and diesels and yada-yada-yada and knowing from all of research about how the HPFP is such a risk.....then why did you buy a Treg? Let me guess, you got it all figured out. Hell your all ready iPhone apps and all to document the moment your fuel pump fails. That's comical!!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
And it seems the best we can do to TRY to prevent the HPFP from failing is to add 2% biodiesel to bring the HFRR of Number 2 BD to 322 microns which is below the acceptable level of 450 microns. All the info is in the attachment of a study done by Stanadyne. The articles in the reference section of the attachment are a good read also.

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's not the biodiesel itself that attracts and retains water, it is the excess ethanol which is not fully consumed in the transesterification process. It's entirely due to process overdosing, which is completely preventable by proper monitoring.
The basic problem is there appears to be no standard enforcement in US biofuel manufacture.
BTW, gasoline with ethanol has the same problem, being hydrophilic, which is why it can be so harmful to two cycle engines.
BULLSEYE......for me, that is why I see possibly more harm than good going beyond 2% BD. And in all reality a lot of fuel treatments that claim to remove water from the fuel contain high amounts of either methanol (MeOH), ethanol (EtOH) or isopropanol (IPA) which are miscible in/with water and decrease the suface tension of water, hence breaking up the large drops/pools of water in your tank or fuel filter and allowing them to disperse as smaller drops throughout the fuel and more easily burned up without doing gross damage or affecting combustion. The same chemistry applies for gas or diesel.

1 - 3 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.