Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Official CT Ricer!
1,452 Posts
My timing belt broke suddenly at 30K miles. Replacement was recommended at 60K. Car had all regular maintenance and it still broke. Car was out of warranty but VW paid parts, I had to pay labor. Still cost me $1400 and that was 23 years ago. @@@@ happens. My sister's 1993 Honda Accord stopped running on the freeway, at night, in the rain. The ignition igniter failed. Very common on accords of that vintage. Safety defect?

We're still hoping you will explain why in the heck you drive one of these things if they're so horrible. You hate VW, its dealers, and its policies. Why do you own any VW at all, let alone a Touareg, arguably their least reliable vehicle and the most costly one to maintain? It seems at odds with your strong convictions that the company and its product are crap and in fact unsafe to drive. You imply we need an emergency plan for what to do if we're driving a touareg at 70 MPH when (not if) the HPFP inevitably blows up). Yet you have one of these vehicular abortions yourself! Are you hoping for an accident related to HPFP failure so you can sue VW? I mean I just don't get why you own a Touareg TDI if you know it's such a POS and you want to scare every Touareg owner into selling while they can or be prepared for a $15K repair. Seems like with all the knowledge you have you'd be looking to get as far away from Touaregs as possible.

All that needs to be said is there are probably more HPFP failures than there should be. Some failures are due to owner misfueling, or contaminated fuel, and some fail because mechanical devices fail. This doesn't mean even 1% of HPFPs fail. Am I wrong?

Enquiring minds want to know. ;-)
I think he is merely stating that the possibility of the HPFP going bad is higher than it should be and there are ways to ensure you do not become a statistic. He is only flabbergasted that VW is still selling the vehicle as is without any changes to account for the poor Diesel standards we have to work with here in the US. I don't think he meant any ill by his wording.....which does come of crass sometimes.

·
Official CT Ricer!
1,452 Posts
Very true. I guess I just get tired of reading new posts rehashing the same issue. It sucks the joy out of owning and driving such an awesome rig.

If a moderator sees this, I suggest creating a sticky thread about the HPFP issue. If new information comes up, by all means add it to that thread. Meanwhile we can get relief from what seems like a repetitive barrage of Touareg & VW negativity over this issue that just gets very tiresome. That horse doesn't need to be beaten over and over.

Maybe it's just me. ;-)
No, its not just you. :) But rest assured, Niner will not stop. Ha ha!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.