Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
160 vehicles over 260K sold isn't really a staggering number...why would VW be motivated to lie about gas found in the vehicles affected? The pump is made by Bosch and as a supplier they would pay up to VW on something like this?
The actual number is much higher if you read all the NHTSA documentation, there were about 5000 tdi's that had their hpfp replaced in the last 4 years or so. Out of those Vw has determined approx. 85% were misfueled, 5 % had a manufacturing flaw and 10 % were unknown. (bad lubricity fuel ect) I agree there is a ton of hype over this. The only point I like to make is that in the USA the fuel barely meets the wear scare recommendation of the pump, that is cause for concern. Having said that I know of at least 1 TDI that ran up to 400,000 on the original pump in the USA with their spec fuel with no additives. So, an additive would probably be beneficial and cheap insurance. Don't loose sleep over this.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
While I have to say I love my touareg and vw in general I think it's good to be in the know about my vehicles and any potential weaknesses, the HPFP is a weakness for sure. I wont be losing any sleep over it, if it breaks it breaks, it's something out of our control so we can't worry about it, it'll make you nuts. Do I have 15k sitting around to blow on a stupid repair like that? No, but i'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it. I think one thing we're all forgetting about is on those charts it shows BMW with a totally different hpfp having similar issues with misfueling, as has Mercedes. It's not necessarily a vw issue just because vw is the front runner of diesel tech everyone points fingers at them.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
There is no secret to the fact that US ATSM spec diesel is required to have a wear scar of minimum 520 HFRR. This is higher(worse) than what is required by the manufacturer. Breakdowns will occur at some point especially if your fuel provider cheapens out and doesn't add the lubricity additive they normally would or the diesel is contaminated with gasoline. Whether this is a Bosch fail, or a Vw Fail, or just a plain old USA(lack of) standard fail remains to be seen.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
the only danger with bio is the fact that the regulations for storing and processing are not uniform across the board, because bio attracts and retains water, it's important to make sure your bio is the freshest best quality bio you can get other wise you can do more harm than good.

The chart is great however represents pre ULSD wear scar levels. I'm sure there is an updated chart somewhere.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Did they redesign the fuel pump from 011 to 012? I called my service guy who felt my 012 had a manufcturer date with new design. That would seem to tell you it is more than mis fueling.

Also said only thing not covered in the plat warrantee on the fuel system is the filters. sure don't need 3 weeks down time though.
They have redesigned the pump several times over the last few years in order to make it more durable or resistant to the poorer quality fuels found here in North America. So yes they've changed, with the 2.0 tdi the hpfp had a new revision every few months for the past few years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.