Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you, but I'm not letting my dealer touch my rig for this; we'll see what vehicles they come out with and propose this for.

I doubt that the HPFP failure issue is solely because people accidentally put a little gas in their tanks, and that it has nothing at all to do with diesel fuel that is too frictious for our pumps. It would be nice if that were the case, but I'm not sure I buy what VW is asserting.

VW To Help Prevent Diesel Misfueling With Dealer Retrofit

It's ironic that one of the best characteristics of modern diesels is also their downfall, for many owners.
New diesels are so refined, and some owners so unused to filling with diesel, that they accidentally fill their cars with gasoline--resulting in a breakdown.
To help prevent this, Volkswagen is set to retrofit more than a quarter million 2009-2012 diesel cars in North America with a device to prevent improper fueling.
Failing fuel pumps
According to Automotive News, the measures to prevent misfueling have been instigated following complaints from owners submitted to the NHTSA over failed fuel pumps.
The Administration has received 160 complaints and field reports since 2011, stemming from cars stalling, often at highway speeds. Volkswagen has told investigators that 90 percent of affected vehicles had "substantial amounts" of gasoline in their tanks.
Fueling a Volkswagen TDI with gasoline voids its warranty--meaning any repairs lay at the feet of customers.
VW's fix will attach a misfueling guard and fuel filler neck cap to the affected vehicles. Should a driver insert a gasoline nozzle by mistake, the fuel tank gate will remain closed.
Investigation, not recall
The plans were announced in a dealer notice, and include 209,500 U.S. cars and 51,600 vehicles in Canada.
Volkswagen will begin notifying customers on May 28. The investigation has not yet been turned into an official recall.
Have you ever misfueled? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.
VW To Help Prevent Diesel Misfueling With Dealer Retrofit

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The 2013 Touareg TDI has the misfueling guard in the fuel filler neck. Misfueling happens. There's a Shell station here with a big sign at the pumps saying "We are not responsible for misfueling your Diesel vehicle". Wonder what prompted them to put up that sign?

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
I'm here to tell you that there are folks that have owned diesel all their lives with VW common rail diesel TDI's that have had multiple Bosch CP4.1 High pressure fuel pump failures... so it's not misfueling. This reminds me of the 1980's and Audi sudden acceleration. Audi put the brake pedal too close to the accelerator on the Audi 5000's. Audi insisted on calling the drivers stupid... it cost them the market here in the USA. It was a design flaw. Zee Germans are sooo smart, they never learn.

I don't believe for a moment it's misfueling... They are having HPFP failures in Europe too.

Best course of action is don't lend out your TDI, don't let anyone else fuel it, and no distractions while fueling up, ie stay off the cell phone and no texting at the pump... turn the phone off, completely, or consider "fueling mode" to be identical to "airplane mode."

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
One very, very important other item, since VW likes to play games with warranty coverage on these very very expensive items needing replacement, at the dealership level.

If your TDI Common Rail 2009-2014 Touareg has a motor that dies while on the road for no apparent reason... and you get the flashing glow plug light and the check engine light, stop safely on the side of the road.

If you have an ELM 327 Blue Tooth plug in and the $5.00 Torque Pro App on your Android smart phone, go ahead, plug them in and do a Check Engine Light scan. Do NOT delete the code there. You will get a P00XX code number showing up... do a Google search for that OBD 2 code you get. If that code is a "Low Fuel Pressure" code, take a snapshot of your smart phone screen, usually by pushing the on off button and the volume up or volume down button at the same time. Save it for evidence, that screen shot.

That low pressure capture now means that you should file a complaint immediately with NHTSA on line on their website. Your file needs to be part of the Engineering Analysis 11003 set of data.

Once you have filed your complaint, it is now time to have your touareg flat bedded in to a VW dealership. When talking and discussing with the service manager, be certain to let them know that you've filed a complaint with NHTSA, and that it is possible that NHTSA will be contacting the dealership service dept, as well as VW of America, shortly.

That should put an end to the run around crap VW dealerships has tried to pull in the past bilking the customer for repair $ on this flawed design. You can also point out that it is part of the 10 year 100k mile drivetrain warranty if you drive a 2011 on TDI Touareg.

It's my opinion this is a Bosch screw up... but VW and Bosch are in bed together on this, and VW is doing the absolute minimum to prevent this from going full blown and having to issue a recall for all TDI's out there being implemented by NHTSA. They don't want that blemish on their record here when it comes time to selling new cars. VW is notorious for only caring about the sale... not the service after the sale, at the dealership level.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'll do it if they also put the AdBlue fill next to the diesel fill.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you have an ELM 327 Blue Tooth plug in and the $5.00 Torque Pro App on your Android smart phone, go ahead, plug them in and do a Check Engine Light scan. Do NOT delete the code there. You will get a P00XX code number showing up... do a Google search for that OBD 2 code you get. If that code is a "Low Fuel Pressure" code, take a snapshot of your smart phone screen, usually by pushing the on off button and the volume up or volume down button at the same time. Save it for evidence, that screen shot.
Isn't it standard practice to keep a VAG-COM and laptop in a TDI Touareg at all times?

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Isn't it standard practice to keep a VAG-COM and laptop in a TDI Touareg at all times?
yeah, it's nice, but an ELM 327 is $13 and I always have my smart phone with me wherever I go anyways, and $5 for Torque Pro App to do a quick scan. Seems a no brainer to me, I can capture the screen shot on the smart phone too.

·
Premium Member
10,136 Posts
160 vehicles over 260K sold isn't really a staggering number...why would VW be motivated to lie about gas found in the vehicles affected? The pump is made by Bosch and as a supplier they would pay up to VW on something like this?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
OK, got it, no misfueling, none whatsoever, never happens. Every TDI owner is as smart and knowledgeable and OCD about their TDI as we are. Likewise the gas station attendants. A fuel filler neck that allows a gas nozzle to be inserted is a red herring, not a factor. Every HPFP failure is due to product defect, nothing whatsoever to do with misfueling or contaminated fuel.

My mistake.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
160 vehicles over 260K sold isn't really a staggering number...why would VW be motivated to lie about gas found in the vehicles affected? The pump is made by Bosch and as a supplier they would pay up to VW on something like this?
The actual number is much higher if you read all the NHTSA documentation, there were about 5000 tdi's that had their hpfp replaced in the last 4 years or so. Out of those Vw has determined approx. 85% were misfueled, 5 % had a manufacturing flaw and 10 % were unknown. (bad lubricity fuel ect) I agree there is a ton of hype over this. The only point I like to make is that in the USA the fuel barely meets the wear scare recommendation of the pump, that is cause for concern. Having said that I know of at least 1 TDI that ran up to 400,000 on the original pump in the USA with their spec fuel with no additives. So, an additive would probably be beneficial and cheap insurance. Don't loose sleep over this.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Nick, it's more complex than indicated.... the 160 cars was a snapshot in time, a very long time ago, when NHTSA first started their investigation in the fall of 2010, and it was from about Sept 2010 to Jan 2011.

There were not 260k sold at that time in the USA, it was less than 90,000.

160 failures is a static number, a snapshot at that point in time up to Jan 2011... there have been thousands, and I do mean thousands of HPFP failures on US and Canadian TDI's in the 2 liter motor. No model is immune, even the gen 2 2012 on Passats with lower bar pressure down to 1600 bar and solenoid injectors have failed.

There have been vehicles that have had their HPFP fail twice. It's now 2013, and 160 failures of HPFP is the most over quoted piece of information used time and time again, while time marches on, and failures continue to accumulate over time, and will continue to do so. The failure rate is closer to being at or over 4% now, it is unbelievable how many failures continue to happen on 2009 -2012 TDI's. If you want to see the tip of the iceburg, and that's just joe blow TDIClub enthusiast, have a look here at this thread. I doubt they even get 3% of the total number of tdi's out there that have had these failures. The failure continue to keep piling up, for VW, for Ford with their Scorpion motor, and for GM.Chevrolet too.

Offical list of HPFP Failures - TDIClub Forums

Vital information, if you lose a HPFP, please print this out and keep a copy in your glove box, on how to proceed.

TDIClub Forums - View Single Post - Offical list of HPFP Failures

I have read a TON of the original information sent in to NHTSA, including memo's and emails between VWoA and Robert Bosch during this investigation. It was Bosch that claimed misfueling and gasoline in the diesel fuel tanks, and misfueling.... and it got so bad, the trust between VWoA and Bosch, that VW was stealing 1 liter fuel samples from every TDI that came in for service to a VW dealership, looking for gasoline in the diesel fuel, what Bosch was claiming. One very pointed email was a comment from an engineer at VW stating "Where is this gasoline in the fuel, we should have found some a long time ago with the size of sampling we have. " IN other words, VW could not substantiate the misfueling claims that Bosch was making about the HPFP failures... the numbers just were not materializing in all their random sampling all over the country when they snitched fuel samples from customers cars.

I have pulled apart enough older Bosch VE injector pumps to reseal them, or change the plungers from 10mm to 11mm jobs for the kids in their tdi's to know that having a 30,000 psi 2000 bar HPFP that has on little tiny roller IN their CP 4.1 and 4.2 pump as in the Touareg at crank speed, not 1/2 crank speed as in the old VE pumped models, and one roller, not 4 rollers on a pump running 15 times the pressure of the old pumps from the late 1990's is over worked. That little roller is doing 15x the pressure at 2x the rpm, with one roller doing the work of 4 rollers on the older model. Multiply all those factors together, and it's a recipe for disaster with todays materials that are available. It's, in my opinion, a poor overworked design, a cheap, money saving design that is dirt cheap and easy for Bosch to manufacure with 1/3 the amount of moving parts as the old design, which was a bomber reliable design.

Because of this pump d esign, the absolute worst thing you can do to your Touareg's HPFP is put the pedal to the medal and play hard on a Common Rail TDI Touareg. It thrashes that HPFP, the high rpms... that little roller following the cam will be turning 20 to 25,000 rpms at red line. Destruction... so don't go there if you'd like your HPFP to last.

The Bosch CP 4.1 and CP4.2 as found on the Touareg, Cayenne and Q7, is, I quote "a very fragile design." Believe it, or don't, until it becomes your turn and your 3 week wait while your vehicle is down and VWoA waits for parts from Germany to do the R&R. The problem is such that I've heard that VW "kits" all the parts together for a HPFP failure in Germany, before it goes on the plane to USA.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
One of the hazards of reading these forums is the fear-mongering and general hysteria over things like the HPFP issue. The odds of that happening to any particular VW owner are very small. Possibly higher than it should be, but still very unlikely. But you read this stuff and get the impression that Oh my god my TDI is a ticking time bomb!

Take care of the vehicle, fuel it "smartly", and drive & enjoy.

EDIT: Deleted minor rant directed at a particular member...

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
One of the hazards of reading these forums is the fear-mongering and general hysteria over things like the HPFP issue. The odds of that happening to any particular VW owner are very small. Possibly higher than it should be, but still very unlikely. But you read this stuff and get the impression that Oh my god my TDI is a ticking time bomb!

Take care of the vehicle, fuel it "smartly", and drive & enjoy.

EDIT: Deleted minor rant directed at a particular member...
A HPFP failure is a non issue, until it happens to you, out of warranty... or VW decides to not warranty it due to claimed "misfueling" on the operators part. Then it's a $15,000 fix, down time of 3 to 4 weeks, AND when your motor dies, it just dies, no warning, probably not good if you are using your 'Rag as a dailer driver to and from work for your commute on a busy freeway at rush hour time... good luck trying to get pulled over safely to the side with no power...

Just facts... according to those people it has happened to. I'd like people to be prepared, that is all... know the signs, know the symptoms, know your next plan of action, so that you are always a step ahead of VWoA. I know it does happen, I've posted up pics in another thread of all the parts pulled from a 2009 or 2010 Touareg TDI here in California, and not a lot of those were made or sold, maybe 6 or 700 for the year. There were 5000 Touareg TDI's made for US sale in 2012.

·
Premium Member
10,136 Posts
I have read a TON of the original information sent in to NHTSA, including memo's and emails between VWoA and Robert Bosch during this investigation. It was Bosch that claimed misfueling and gasoline in the diesel fuel tanks, and misfueling.... and it got so bad, the trust between VWoA and Bosch, that VW was stealing 1 liter fuel samples from every TDI that came in for service to a VW dealership, looking for gasoline in the diesel fuel, what Bosch was claiming. One very pointed email was a comment from an engineer at VW stating "Where is this gasoline in the fuel, we should have found some a long time ago with the size of sampling we have. " IN other words, VW could not substantiate the misfueling claims that Bosch was making about the HPFP failures... the numbers just were not materializing in all their random sampling all over the country when they snitched fuel samples from customers cars..
This is particularly interesting...so VW is in a battle with Bosch over this, but the public perception may be anti-vw.

makes me wonder who designed the adblue system and if its a similar situation?

Thanks for the detail and perspective in any case...good to understand it a bit more than the superficial understanding I had before.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Broken timing belts are probably far more common among the general population of vehicles, and the outcome is similar: Instant loss of power without warning, and potential for extensive costly engine damage. I should know, it happened to me. It was a 1987 Jetta that I bought brand new and only had 30K miles on it when the belt failed.

I think you're trying to instill panic in Touareg owners in hope that it will drive the market price down for you. ;-) Seriously, given your obvious hatred of VW and its dealers and products, and that you consider the Touareg to have a serious safety-related design defect, why do you own one?

Gotta run, need to write up and rehearse an emergency procedure for when my HPFP fails. I'll tape it to the dashboard so it's always on my mind.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Broken timing belts are probably far more common among the general population of vehicles, and the outcome is similar: Instant loss of power without warning, and potential for extensive costly engine damage. I should know, it happened to me. It was a 1987 Jetta that I bought brand new and only had 30K miles on it when the belt failed.

I think you're trying to instill panic in Touareg owners in hope that it will drive the market price down for you. ;-) Seriously, given your obvious hatred of VW and its dealers and products, and that you consider the Touareg to have a serious safety-related design defect, why do you own one?

Gotta run, need to write up and rehearse an emergency procedure for when my HPFP fails. I'll tape it to the dashboard so it's always on my mind.
Ever heard of trend analysis?

Strange phenomena with VW jetta, golf and jetta sportswagens having a disproportional amount of HPFP failure on the same tank of diesel fuel, right after a 20,000 or 40,000 mile service, which BTW, includes changing the fuel filter. Coincidence? Procedural error with not priming the pump and bleeding out the air in the fuel filter? Or not properly servicing and completely draining and cleaning out the fuel filter cannister, allowing contaminated dirty unfiltered diesel fuel to get in to the HPFP system and contaminate it?

Forgive me for being anal, I've serviced a lot of TDI's in the past, and fixed a lot of hackers and
butched repair jobs on TDI's and VW's... it's pretty sad what some mechanics do to TDI's, more harm than good.

Cheap owners and TDI's, make that and VW's in general, make poor partners.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.