Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who everyone has signed up with on the lawsuit. I am stuck in limbo. I bought and imported my Touareg TDI in 2011 on a 2012 model used with only 2000 miles on it. I knew in advance that VW Canada would not honour the warranty on it so I would always have the work done in Michigan. No big deal. Now with the Goodwill incentive VW America will not provide me with the $1000 even when the vehicle was under warranty in the U.S. and VW Canada will not and does not know what to do in this situation.
I read in one of the Class Actions that the legal fees would be approx. 33% so if VW decides to buy back a vehicle then does that mean you would have to pay 33% to the class action lawsuit lawyers.
I don't know if I should join the Class action suit here in Canada or the Class action in the U.S.
If any of the Canadian guys want to respond and especially the guys who imported their vehicles. Thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
You should talk with a knowledgeable, independent, lawyer. Well worth the hour consultation fee.

You should also contact VW Canada HQ and press them for the $1K, perhaps have the lawyer send a demand letter on his/her letter head. Or take VW USA to small claims court in Michigan for the $1K.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't know if I should join the Class action suit here in Canada or the Class action in the U.S.
Normally in class action lawsuit, the attorneys sue for all members of the "class" that they get certified (e.g., U.S. owners, Canadian owners, North American owners), and you will be IN the class unless you opt OUT when given the opportunity. If you opt out, then you will be able to sue individually (generally not a good idea for something this small individually) instead of accepting the class settlement or result.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Normally in class action lawsuit, the attorneys sue for all members of the "class" that they get certified (e.g., U.S. owners, Canadian owners, North American owners), and you will be IN the class unless you opt OUT when given the opportunity. If you opt out, then you will be able to sue individually (generally not a good idea for something this small individually) instead of accepting the class settlement or result.
And the lawyer's fees and expenses are approved by the court and taken from what VW pays BEFORE the remainder is distributed to the claimants. Even if the suit is NOT successful the lawyer fees are not normally chargeable to the members of the class.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I know this, but I was wondering with all the Touareg owners here on the forum, what firm are you using or recommending?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Yes. I know this, but I was wondering with all the Touareg owners here on the forum, what firm are you using or recommending?
Part of your question was about who pays the fees.
Which firm you, me, or anyone else uses will become a moot point. ALL the separate actions from ALL the lawyers will be consolidated by the court and the court selects ONE set of attorneys to proceed. That is invariably the practice in these large class action cases. You don't have any control over it.

Reactions: BeemerMikeTX

·
Registered
454 Posts
The court has already selected the attorneys and consolidated the cases for the US. If you live in Canada and the car is registered there, I am not sure you will be considered in the class for the US case. Hopefully you will be covered by the Canadian courts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts