Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yahoo!

An interesting quote from the article says that the Touareg will be rebranded as their performance-oriented model SUV. I wonder if that means they will offer a more powerful motor like is in the Porsche Cayenne?

"To differentiate the Touareg, Volkswagen is expected to push it upmarket by rebranding the mid-size SUV, with its strong Porsche DNA (Porsche is part of the VW Group), as a performance-oriented model."

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I'm interested. Good timing for me.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Maybe if they'd bring back air suspension and the real 4x4 system they had on the T1/T2s, they'd actually sell more. :- /

Sadly, all we'll probably get are fancy mall cruisers that can barely tow a U-Haul trailer. :- (

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Yahoo!

An interesting quote from the article says that the Touareg will be rebranded as their performance-oriented model SUV. I wonder if that means they will offer a more powerful motor like is in the Porsche Cayenne?

"To differentiate the Touareg, Volkswagen is expected to push it upmarket by rebranding the mid-size SUV, with its strong Porsche DNA (Porsche is part of the VW Group), as a performance-oriented model."
This is amazing news. Without having to decontent the Touareg to meet a price point hopefully we see the base model fall off and we see the return of things like full nappa leather interior, air suspension and the like. A legitimate alternative to a Range Rover at a lower price, much like the early Touaregs were

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yahoo!

4.2 V8 Tdi with air should do the trick . . .

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4.2 V8 Tdi with air should do the trick . . .
Or the petrol Audi 4 liter V8. Probably not the twin turbo version found in the RS7 but still a nice motor.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is amazing news. Without having to decontent the Touareg to meet a price point hopefully we see the base model fall off and we see the return of things like full nappa leather interior, air suspension and the like. A legitimate alternative to a Range Rover at a lower price, much like the early Touaregs were
But if you are perfectly happy with your Touareg TDI Sport (with Navigation and towing), and don't want leather interior or trouble-prone panoramic sunroof, or larger diameter wheels/tires that seem to have more vibration/shake issues, I guess you'll have to go somewhere else. :(

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Pardon me for asking what goes wrong with the Pano roof? Fincher I thought you where gonna drive yur 012 for a while?
Well, I don't see these new ones here until 2018. By then, I'm ready! Besides, I may keep my '12 as a third ride. My girls will need a safe vehicle.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
But if you are perfectly happy with your Touareg TDI Sport (with Navigation and towing), and don't want leather interior or trouble-prone panoramic sunroof, or larger diameter wheels/tires that seem to have more vibration/shake issues, I guess you'll have to go somewhere else. :(
I think that's where the new SUV slotted below the Touareg fits in.

I would think a simpler diesel SUV would be great, as would a version with the SQ7 motor with all the goodies jammed in.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Volkswagen just unveiled a full-size crossover SUV
"The T-Prime Concept GTE will be the new flagship of the Volkswagen brand,"
mid-size Touareg
T-Prime dimensions: L 5070 mm x B 1999 mm x H 1707 mm.
The new concept is just another long haul school bus, akin to Q8.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Here's an exclusive preview pic!

EDIT Well I'd show you the preview pic but the forum seems to be broken right now with regard to uploading photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
Ok. Who broke the internet? Speak up!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Without a diesel I have no interest in any SUV. Those who want a powerful V-8 already have choices like Cayenne or Bmw M seris. You're not going to get VW to compete with Porsche and hurt their profit monster. Sad truth is what makes VW different is the diesel line up.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think that's where the new SUV slotted below the Touareg fits in.

I would think a simpler diesel SUV would be great, as would a version with the SQ7 motor with all the goodies jammed in.
I guess that will depend on what exactly the "new SUV slotted below the Touareg" turns out to be. We found the current (T3) Touareg to be the perfect size for us, and the simplified, lighter AWD works great for our driving (and I suspect for 99% of Touareg owners). The Q5 was too small (especially behind the back seat) and the Q7 was too big (not to mention too ugly). If the new SUV turns out to be like the Macan, then maybe it would work, especially if you will be able to buy a "decontented" version (aka "simpler") with TDI. :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts