Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Long time lurker, new time member. Google plus you have always equaled the answers for my 2 tregs.

Let's see, I have 6 VWs, including Porsches (dont be jelly, one was free, the other one $400). I have 2 2004 T1's woth v8s. One with air, the other not. Got the 2006 rabbit, the 01 Jetta (selling). I've driven air coed, I just love my dubs. I have some physical restrictions, so, I cant wrench on all my babies, but, when it's something my weak self can dig into, im on it.

I know, girl mechanic. We're unicorns. Dubs, animals and computers. That's my 3 loves. Not in that order. Dog would probs kill me.

From Arizona, currently living in Indiana, where its wet, cold, and the people are backwards. I get looked down at cause I dont drive me an american pickup, and get called a bad american almost monthly, maybe more.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You know about the life of V8 timing belts -mileage/time?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the horrid phone spelling today, my hands type faster than my phone apparently.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Is that a V6 you are working on where the timing chain is at the rear of the engine?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Correct, but 2004 V8s have timing belts which, as you know, I bore folk about their service life, hence my first post in this thread.

The latest photo looks like a timing chain with the bulkhead behind hence my latest question in this thread as I'm wondering if there was a typo in the very first post?

It will also be relevant to the other current thread running on here about a failed V6 timing chain wherein I posted that I understand that if you have small hands it is possible to replace the V6 timing chain at the rear of the engine rather than having to remove the engine to do the job.

If this lady really is doing a V6 she could be a valuable contributor to that other thread.

But, as usual, I could be completely wrong!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, def a v8. Both of my girls are v8s. Havent had any issues with the belts. But, my blue beast is going down for a total overhaul. After 190k, and the previous owner just abusing her, we're going to make sure shes loved.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You threw me by referring to the cam chain as a timing chain albeit you did also mention cam chain tensioners!

Regardless, I raise my hat to you for tacklng the job!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I should have been specific. This is the timing chain for the DOHC on the v8. Theres one in the back on the left side, in the front on the right side. The cam guides go bad, make clicky noises, can ruin engine. I was taught by an old skool vw tech, and I've always called them timing chains. Although, I thought I said cam timing chain tensioner, but whatevs. The rest, yes, is belt driven. See photos of the project. About to do the front right side.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Thank you - I can count the number of cylinders on one side now! It's a proper beast - you can't beat the burble of a V8!!

Please post more pix as you go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Old habits doe hard, I probably will never not say timing and chain on a car... but then, I also usually call it a doohickey, thingie, clicky clacky noise maker, brake squishy thing. It's all from my real job, having to explain tech to people who shouldnt even own the tech, let alone troubleshoot it (I work for a tech support call center, and my subordinates can barely turn on their own computers, let alone work on them). Trying to break down what their trying to explain to customers is daily headache material.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you - I can count the number of cylinders on one side now! It's a proper beast - you can't beat the burble of a V8!!

Please post more pix as you go.
Of course, this is my green one, shes being redone so we can out the blue one down for a few months, see previous post earlier. Cant wait to see more than 11mpg in a treg!!! (Blue girl has bad vacuum leaks, SAI pump still wont work after replacing half of everything, cats are shot, brake boosters been replaced it doesnt work, etc etc etc.)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Old habits doe hard, I probably will never not say timing and chain on a car... but then, I also usually call it a doohickey, thingie, clicky clacky noise maker, brake squishy thing. It's all from my real job, having to explain tech to people who shouldnt even own the tech, let alone troubleshoot it (I work for a tech support call center, and my subordinates can barely turn on their own computers, let alone work on them). Trying to break down what their trying to explain to customers is daily headache material.

Ah, you're using my language - the thingummyjig, the whatchamacallit, the oojamaflip, the thingummybob - yup, completely understand all of those!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh gods that sucked!!! But yea, still cant do the heavy lifting, but I check before he tries to randomly top crap off without me making sure hes putting brake fluid in the brake fluid reservoir!!! Working on the green thing before we put the blue beast down. Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found some damage to the green thing, so, got the dad to weld it back together (I'm epileptic, cant be around flashy lights). Heres before, will get the after here in a bit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
10 Participants
Don_Harden
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing