Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team,

HELP!! Our 2004 V8 Touareg is making violent lurches shifting between 2nd and third gear. The motor revs up over 3 thousand RPM and then slams into gear. The dealer said that the transmission could not be rebuilt or repaired and a new transmission is the only option, priced over $8K with labor. This is far more than the vehicle is worth. Options?

Thank you,

Frank the Merciless57

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Take the car to a good transmission shop and let them look at it.

Ask around, use Goggle and Bung, do some research.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Team,

HELP!! Our 2004 V8 Touareg is making violent lurches shifting between 2nd and third gear. The motor revs up over 3 thousand RPM and then slams into gear. The dealer said that the transmission could not be rebuilt or repaired and a new transmission is the only option, priced over $8K with labor. This is far more than the vehicle is worth. Options?

Thank you,

Frank the Merciless57
How many miles?
When was the last time the transmission fluid was serviced?
Did the dealer change the fluid/check the level?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don't know, so I am asking: this couldn't be related to the valve chest issues I have read about? Not that that is cheap, but it isn't $8K.

If you need help finding a good transmission shop you might consider asking some reputable VW independent shops for their recommendations on transmission shops. Read reviews from others on the shops or ask for references even.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Yep. Time to start looking for the best transmission shops in you area.

VW won't fix a transmission, they just put a new one in there.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
AND? ? ? ? ?
Aren't you forgetting VW tells everyone the gearbox is a sealed for life item . . . just like the diffs and the transfer box with all that lovely filthy black oil inside them after 60,000 miles or so?!?!:D

Thanks to Ifelix for this fine demonstration of just how much VW cares for long term owners, snapped at 69,000 miles.

Of course, I suppose VW's original oil could have started out as black as the Ace of Spades . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts