Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I was finally able to capture what the engine was doing at startup. It doesn't matter whether the engine is hot or cold. I've only owned the Treg for a month when I bought it CPO but I'm pretty sure this is not normal behavior. It doesn't do it all the time which is why the dealer said they couldn't reproduce the problem. There are no codes via VCDS. I haven't checked the measuring blocks but if I did, I don't know which to check or the proper values. I was thinking of taking it to my Indy, letting them find the problem then tell the dealer what the issue is. I know they won't fix it unless they can see the issue but I may be able to send them in the right direction since it is under warranty. The surging occurs at idle but could be related to outside temps(40-50degrees) so I was thinking the MAF sensor but not sure. I also have another problem that could be related. Fish biting. IT stutters at about 1800-2000RPM in gears 3-7 under slight load and when I slow to a stop or light, it takes too long to downshift which causes a vibration while the engine seems to lug. The surging is at about the 34sec. mark. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll see if I can find and check that. What parts could go bad needing replacement at 22k miles?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

So I took the truck to my local dealer to have them look at the idle issues. They spoke to tech level1 at VW. They advised to check the moisture/water in air box, drains and air filter. It wasn't too bad but they drilled/cleaned the drains, changed the filter and will be replacing the MAF sensor due to possible moisture affecting it. They don't think this is the reason for my issue but are ruling this out. It was then advanced to level 2 and the VW tech knew exactly what the issue was although I am suspect and so is the mechanic. They asked if I use high test which I do. They said DON'T. The engine is designed for 87 like it says on the label. Running higher octane messes with the air/fuel mixture and the ECM can't compensate for the changed detonation or something like that. I've only had the truck for 3000 miles so I don't know if this is correct but I seem to remember the reason I switched to 93 was because of this issue that I'm trying to solve. I can say that the problem was getting worse so there my be something to this. I haven't burned through the tank of 93 yet and a new MAF sensor will go in next week since it wasn't in stock so we'll have to see if this resolves the problem. Originally the mechanic suspected the PCV since "that's what they do" but it's ruled out for the time being.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. I was also surprised to hear that they have to put it in the sevice position to change the valve cover. Crazy!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts