Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 gasoline VR6 engined Touareg in my work shop. A compression check shows normal on the even numbered cylinders but a low 85 psi on all the odd numbered cylinders. ie 1,3,5. This seems strange on an engine with a common cylinder head for both banks and with single separate exhaust and inlet cams. Can anyone come up with a reason for this coincidence, other than damaged valves? I suspect that the engine may have been overheated in the past. I hear a slight timing chain rattle sometimes when revving the engine. :confused:

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have a 2004 gasoline VR6 engined Touareg in my work shop. A compression check shows normal on the even numbered cylinders but a low 85 psi on all the odd numbered cylinders. ie 1,3,5. This seems strange on an engine with a common cylinder head for both banks and with single separate exhaust and inlet cams. Can anyone come up with a reason for this coincidence, other than damaged valves? I suspect that the engine may have been overheated in the past. I hear a slight timing chain rattle sometimes when revving the engine. :confused:
If the timing chain is elongated (sounds like it) the ECU and camshaft adjusters can compensate for an out of time engine. Not certain if this would only impact one bank or even compression. My chain is elongated same engine but 2005 and car is more throaty but still runs well. I have a CEL for timing camshaft correlation. Have driven for two years this way because when oil temp is above 100f the tensioners take out the slack and noise goes away, however chain needs to be replaced. If the timing is off one would think compression might be impacted but would think all cylinders. Since only one cam for intake and exhaust also kind of odd. Why would only one side of valves be an issue?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts