Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Standard Disclosure: I'm not responsible for your actions, this is only meant to be an aid. If you damage your car, that's on you. blah blah blah....

Now...

It took me a year to put these things on, but this is only intended to be a visual reference to help you out with the even poorer supplied directions.

I'm talking about this piece:

Apologies about my low light cell phone captures in advance. You will need:

Torx Set
Medium Phillips Screwdriver
Medium Flathead Screwdriver
3M Bonding Tape or VW Body Panel Adhesive or Liquid Nail
Painter's Tape
~2 hours (if you're comfortable removing and installing the rear bumper, you'll be done in like 30 minutes)

Also: Hint - You might want to replace your tail light bulbs while you're doing this as the outer tail lamp units are such a pita to remove.

From Sylvania/Osram's site:
Rear turn signal
7507LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Tail light
7225LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Stop light
7225LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Back up light
H21W (64136)

Skill level - maybe a 4 out of 10. Not terribly difficult, just lots of finicky steps.

I removed my bumper after trying to do it with it on. The exhaust piping gets in the way. Make sure your bumper is washed and clean, use some microfiber and rubbing alcohol just to be safe.

This video is a good reference point:

After you remove the two torx bolts holding the taillights in you will have to carefully, but firmly pull back on the taillamps to 'pop' it out of its ball socket. This is a headache, and hurts your fingers. There's also a 'strap' trick - search for it.

Next, remove the five torx screws that hold the bumper cover to your wheel well.

Repeat this on the opposite side.

Finally remove the 4 large torx bolts on the underside of your bumper cover.

You should be able to carefully, but firmly pull your bumper off now. Make sure you have saw horses, or something soft and scratch resistant to work on.

Next, open up your supplied instructions and hardware.

Remove the two torx bolts on the inside of your bumper. Side the supplied clip onto the supplied bracket then use the original bolts to fix it onto the bumper.

The instructions now say bust out your sawzall, however my hitch cover was covered by a removable piece so I didn't have to trim anything. Find your 3M tape

Tape/Layer up the attachment points. I used a razor blade to help me remove the backing - especially the center strip.

Partially remove the backing and leave as so until you're ready to attach.

Make sure everything lines up, it should be fairly obvious as it almost 'clicks' in - also make sure all your holes line up.

supplied torx bolts anchor the entire piece into the bumper

Now, once your anchor screws are in you will need to remove the backing on the tape and press into your bumper. Once that's done you should reinforce it with painter's tape.

Then, find your phillips screwdriver and use the supplied tap screws to screw INTO your bumper. There's no going back now.

Now, take a deep breath and try to re-install your entire bumper cover. This is a total pain in the ass, but take your time. It's not easy, but not the most difficult thing either. Make sure your wheel well covers line up with the holes in your bumper and if you have oem mud flaps the wheel arches go BEHIND the flaps, and in front of the bumper cover up top.

After things are lined up and bolts are back in place it's time to bolt up the hitch cover. I removed my pre-existing hitch cover and the original clips in the pre-drilled squares in my bumper. If you push back on the heat cover it's easy to get to. Once those are out, replace them with the supplied clips.

Bolt everything together and that's about it!

Now...off to figure out that custom exhaust issue...

Hope this helped you.

·
Registered
394 Posts
those hangers should be adjustable. If you loosen the bolts holding the hangers you may be able to pull the muffler down some to adjust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
those hangers should be adjustable. If you loosen the bolts holding the hangers you may be able to pull the muffler down some to adjust.
04 v8: NOT adjustable hangars, but removable hangars- install rear bumper- reinstall hangars.

THIS was the PITA... and getting everything together the top of the new cover just kept popping out after the exhaust was in place. The bright green 3" tape may become a permanent fixture. My shiz is custom!!! woot woot

·
Registered
44 Posts
dang bro, Melted? how so? Have any pics? the only issue I had with meltage was all the tar stuff on the rubber stripping that goes around the edge of the piece. Other than that, nothing yet. It is something I will look out for though because its been 97 here in VA beach area already.

Let me know

·
Registered
44 Posts
04 v8: NOT adjustable hangars, but removable hangars- install rear bumper- reinstall hangars.

THIS was the PITA... and getting everything together the top of the new cover just kept popping out after the exhaust was in place. The bright green 3" tape may become a permanent fixture. My shiz is custom!!! woot woot

dang man, same issue witht he top corners where the piece hit the corner of the bumper pops out a little. they had to use some serious glue it looked like.

·
Registered
165 Posts
melting

I am waiting to install mine as well because it looks like the exhaust tips will actually touch the plastic and will therefor melt. I think I will have to cut away some of the plastic. Has anyone else had to cut away any of theirs?
Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm installing these (front & rear) in the coming weekend. I'll post up my results. Mine is an '06 V8, but that shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I installed this with minimal issues. I certainly didn't need to remove the bumper. As far as the exhaust tips, they're held on with a clamp that can be loosened with a 15mm socket, then rotated down out of the way. After that, install per the instructions, then rotate the tips back up, just short of touching the new piece. Pic to follow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts