Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Have a virgin key spare and was wondering, it doesn't have the 3 digit code on the metal key part? HAA usually cut in. Does this mean it's useless? It was an eBay purchase online..next time I'll know if it is useless. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
More then likely you will not be able to use it. Did they specify it was for a Touareg? If it was from another VW it definitely won't work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just bought a 2013 and the spare key fob doesn't work at all. I assume there's a replaceable battery(?) but how do I get it open? (no owners manual)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I just bought a 2013 and the spare key fob doesn't work at all. I assume there's a replaceable battery(?) but how do I get it open? (no owners manual)
Yes, there is a replaceable battery in the KESSY fob, a CR2032 3v lithium button cell. Here's a shot of the instructions in the manual, and you REALLY need to get the owners manual! It's terribly written, all sorts of legalese disclaimers, but it's got all the info you need to operate these complicated vehicles. Get one, and read it, cover to cover....

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Get two manual. Put one in the bog and keep the other in the car.

And buy good quality batteries, not cheapos or fakes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh yeh! Called the dealer this morning, it's ordered and being shipped to me.
The online stuff I found said LR44 battery - is that CR -2032 the same thing? I ordered LR44 Maxell's from amazon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Omg, LOL this key fob is ridonkulous! Getting the valet key out? And the battery? Oh my, owning this IS going to be interesting. LOL

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Oh yeh! Called the dealer this morning, it's ordered and being shipped to me. The online stuff I found said LR44 battery - is that CR -2032 the same thing? I ordered LR44 Maxell's from amazon.
LR44 is a 1.5v battery, and not even the same size as the CR2032. Won't fit.
Both getting the emergency key out, easily, and replacing the battery are easy, and have been discussed here in detail. Search is your friend if you can't RTFM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My bad, that's a bike computer sending unit battery I wrote down to buy. ;)
Got the key out, NOT easily. I cut my fingernails short and that's close to a 3 handed job.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ok, I'm right handed, so this is how I do it;
Fob in right hand, with thumb on emergency key release button (VW)
Press fob once to release emergency key chrome end (it pops out about 1/4")
Now grasp the emergency key chrome end between your left thumb and forefinger, with the left thumbnail towards the fob, it will press on the inner fob release button if you grab it fully.
Now press the VW button again, with a slight pressure pulling the emergency key, and keeping the left thumbnail in contact with the inner fob body and release.
It sounds complicated but it's not, just hard to describe.
Practice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts