Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in another thread that the RNS 850 should play m4v video files, however I haven't been successful. It will play DVDs just fine, and plays mp3s and m4a's. My m4v are DVD rips converted to m4v using Handbrake with the AppleTV 2 profile, which uses the h.264 codec. Owner's manual (pg 212) says this should work. My bitrates are below 2000 as well.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been pulling my hair out trying to use Handbrake to make m4v's that will work. It is very frustrating and I've tried so many settings I have lost track. If I remember correctly, I was able to get it to work when I used the "Universal" setting under the apple drop down. I changed the average bitrate to 1000 and then my videos worked. It did however change the aspect ratio of my movies just slightly, a bit stretched horizontally but not too bad. Give that a try and see if it works.

Robert.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try to convert the video's to MP4. I had a MP4 file, put it on a SD Card and also saved it on the HDrive in the Treg. Both work fine. Great when I have to wait an hour for the kids to finish their after school programs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Took all the great advice this thread had to offer and low and behold it all worked, most of it anyway.

Instead of being letterboxed or in a 4:3 aspect ratio video is squared off. This is just from one video, but I'll experiment with setting in HB and see if I can get it to work in its original ratio.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Brewdude, any luck with the settings on Handbrake to get the aspect ratio right?

I have tried toggling anamorphic on and off, different screen ratios etc, without success. I just get black strips either side of the video when playing around with the width and heights...:mad:

Cheers

·
Registered
426 Posts
Haven't had time with the holidays and work schedule to do any tweaking. I'm thinking resolution must be set manually to whatever the screen size it. Saw it on here somewheres...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Played with settings of all differents kinds and realized that you need to keep the framerate at < 29.97 fps. Using handbrake profiles doesn't necessarily change the framerate. So make sure however you are converting the files that the framerate is <29.97 fps.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Bump.

I'm also working through this encoding issue.

None my videos played initially. I then got one to play with the Universal settings, but the next two encoded with the same settings didn't work.

I looked and the video that is working is a 29fps with 3400 bit-rate. I think most of the others I tried last night were <2000 bit-rate (spec in the manual) but with a variable fps.

Changing FPS worries me a little from previous handbrake experience. An issue I've had with changing the framerate fps with Handbrake in the past is a disconnect between the audio and video sync. Another can be some strange effects in action sequences.

I've got the encoder running a variety of different settings today and will see what my results are.

Aspect ratio is a lower priority although if I can get some settings that are consistent, I may look at that as well.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hi. Just a few years later . . .

Back in 2012 I figured this out and was able to encode pretty much anything and get it to play back using handbrake and h.264 with a 720 maximum horizontal resolution.

Fast forward to 2016, I no longer have the machine I used in 2012 and don't have any record of the settings I used. ](*,)

Currently I am experiencing issues encoding a full movie to play back on the RNS850.
When I encode the whole movie just about 2 hours it will not play back in the Touareg.
Using the same settings, if I encode the movie into a 1st half and second half split evenly they both play fine.

I know I got past this previously because I have a several encodes from years ago that were each over 2.5 hours and play fine.

I have also ruled out a file size issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. Just a few years later . . .

Back in 2012 I figured this out and was able to encode pretty much anything and get it to play back using handbrake and h.264 with a 720 maximum horizontal resolution.

Fast forward to 2016, I no longer have the machine I used in 2012 and don't have any record of the settings I used. ](*,)

Currently I am experiencing issues encoding a full movie to play back on the RNS850.
When I encode the whole movie just about 2 hours it will not play back in the Touareg.
Using the same settings, if I encode the movie into a 1st half and second half split evenly they both play fine.

I know I got past this previously because I have a several encodes from years ago that were each over 2.5 hours and play fine.

I have also ruled out a file size issue.
Have you played around with the FPS?

My issue is that is displays fine but the sync between the audio and sound if of by a few second. I changed it to 25 FPS and it seems to work 100%.

Still playing around with in though...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Reviving old thread. I've tried many formats on my 2012 Touareg and none of them managed to play.

.mp4, h264, 23.976fps
.mp4, mpeg4, 23.976fps
.mp4, h264, 29.97fps
.avi, divx, 23.976fps
.avi, xvid, 23.976fps
.avi, h264, 23.976fps
All formats in 800x480 resolution and all were test files <2mins.

I'm assuming the audio doesn't matter? For reference I was using mp3, 128kbps, 48.0KHz, stereo.

Does anyone know a format that always works on RNS850?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here is the handbrake profile I used a year ago. Both Minions and The Gruffalo plays well on the RNS850 from this profile.

rename to Touareg.json and import in handbrake.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is the handbrake profile I used a year ago. Both Minions and The Gruffalo plays well on the RNS850 from this profile.

rename to Touareg.json and import in handbrake.
I'm unable to import the preset, which handbrake version are you using? Or just tell me the settings you use.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
12 Participants
Lazarusz
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing