Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My car seems to have developed a moderate, steady vibration which is apparent only when the car is still and idling. This vibration doesn't affect the performance so the engine accelerates as expected without any hesitation.

I'm thinking motor mounts. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Check the idler pulleys and belt tensioner on the accessories belt drive, they have failed on mine and cause noise (can't remember if it caused vibration).

Stuart...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Failing motor mounts would likely cause a bit of clunking when shifting - can you hear anything when this happens? Pop the hood and have someone rev the engine while you watch it, see if there is excessive movement as the RPMs change.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am going to throw in plugs and coils, mainly the coils. I replaced both recently and the difference is impressive. Best of all its an quick and easy DIY.

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments guys.

Now that I think about it, I haven't noticed any clunking underneath, seems fairly tight. My mechanic said that the mounts seem to have become a bit hard and that's what might be causing the vibration. I recently replaced the spark plugs, but the coils may need replacing, although I don't see how they might cause this vibration problem without affecting performance. I'll check the pulleys and tensioner and see what comes up.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A/C on when it does this? Noting that the A/C is on when the defrost is on too... My truck has a bit of a vibration when in gear, stopped with A/C on.

I remember reading about heater hoses / auxiliary pump assembly (for the the "rest" feature...located on drivers side behind fender liner) also being an area that can developed an odd vibration... See post number 18 here:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/new-owner-need-help-already-216713-2.html

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't make a difference whether the A/C is on or not.

It's kinda weird that the vibration intensifies just at the point when applying the brakes and coming to a stop, then gets less again. Like I said before I want to point at a vacuum leak but the normal acceleration and the smoothness of the vibration make me thing it's more a mechanical or physical issue.

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guys, looks like I'll be replacing the motor mounts. Any advice on a good place to get them from? Should I go with oem (dealer) only or can I get good aftermarket ones too?

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think it is unlikely you will find aftermarket parts like this - not enough Touaregs have been made to generate interest from independent manufacturers.

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called a place specializing in VW parts here in Bahrain and they do have aftermarket mounts (Chinese made or German made, I get to choose :)

I think these are some of those parts that may be shared with the Q7 and the Cayenne. So, yes, there are aftermarket ones available, even on ebay for $175 for both. But I'm not sure about the ebay parts I think they may be lower quality Chinese repros.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
In that case buy German!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts