Club Touareg Forum banner

Vibration Issues

14K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Manoli_101 
#1 ·
I am hoping that someone can help me identify a vibration issue I am having on my 2014 V6 Touareg.
I have changed tires, rims and the impeller shaft all to no avail.
I get the vibration at 102km/h to 120km/hr all the time
I feel the vibration on the seat, very little on the steering wheel.
It becomes very distinctive when I let off the gas at say 110-115 km/hr although I can feel it under load, in any gear.
VW Dealer seems to be stumped.
I have had the car since 89,000 kms and it now has 115,000 kms, vibrating all the way :(

#2 ·
I wonder if you have the dreaded SWS.

Use the Search function and find the long thread on Steering Wheel Shakes and notably the one about the TSB - technical service bulletin - issued by VW.

Then follow those instructions exactly for removing and remounting the wheels .

Your dealer will have this TSB by the way.

#3 ·
Search function does not function. Do a Google search and use "steering wheel shakes site:www.clubtouareg.com"

#4 ·
#6 ·
All 4 tires identical in every way?

And have you actually refitted the wheels EXACTLY as per the TSB?

If not, suggest you do so before anything else as It costs nothing.

#7 ·
Brand spanking new Continentals, and I had the rims balanced separately then again once tires were mounted.
Again, I am 99% convinced its a drivetrain issue.
Even the dealer was convinced it was the impeller shaft after having it up on the hoist for half a day.
Ever heard of a rear differential causing vibration??

#8 ·
Let me try just once more.

Have you actually read the TSB?

And have you then removed and refitted the wheels EXACTLY as per the TSB?

This will cost you nothing to see whether or not it fixes your car before throwing any more money at it.

#9 ·
Once you have painstakingly followed the tsb for the shaking tire syndrome (only necessary since VW deleted the auto centering hub from the later Touareg to save 1/4 pound and 2.5 cents of metal per tire)... do you still have the problem?

If so, I would change the center prop shaft. They are supposed to be lifetime balanced at the factory, but to take it apart, install a new bearing, and reinstall it requires that you mark and put every piece of it in the exact same place. Not only that, put the pieces must be put in facing the same directions that they came out of.

A typical mis-re-build of the prop shaft is to take it apart, change the bearing, and stick it all back together. It will vibrate until the end of time.

Unless you have access to a machine shop with the skills to re-balance it (which is unlikely), the only solution is to throw it away and replace it with a new shaft.

#10 ·
I know I may not be following the advice on here very well.
I have no idea where to find the TSB that you speak of. Sorry.
The prop shaft was replaced and did nothing to solve the issue.
Where can I get a copy of the tsb that I can take to my dealer for his reference.
The brake disc bolt hub??? No idea where to find that but I am sure the dealer will know. (hopefully)
Also, on another note, the brakes were replaced at 89,000 km with non VW parts. Would THAT cause the shake?
Thanks for your help everyone and I apologize if I am a bit frustrating. :)

#11 ·
Bloody hell, this is like pulling teeth!

Read post #4.

Then open the link therein and read that thread.

It does help to give the fulest information when asking for help on line and your new brakes might be the problem - after all you had thebrakes changed at 89,000 kms and, let me see, oh yes, the problem started at 89,000 kms . . . . .

#12 ·
Bloody hell, this is like pulling teeth!

See post #4.

Open the link therein and read it.

It does help you if you give the fullest possible information when asking for assistance on line.

In post #10 you tell us the brakes were changed at 89,000 kms.

In post #1 you tell us the problem started at 89,000 kms . . . .

#13 ·
1) Do correctly reinstall the wheels following the tsb for wheel shaking exactly.

2) If you had the prop shaft replaced with a new prop shaft, I will agree that should not be the problem and we will skip past it. If you used a rebuilt prop shaft, then all bets are off and the prop shaft could be the cause of the vibrations.

3) Brake rotors can cause this. Which brand brake parts did you use and who installed them. While the dealer prices are way over inflated, normally the quality is great. If you used bottom line parts, then the brakes either need to be inspected by a really good shop or simply replaced. In this case, the dealer is unlikely to be good enough to properly check the exisiting brakes, but more then good enough to replace them. You could still save a lot of money by having good brake parts put on by a good indie mechanic.

#14 ·
Thank you Nickyt for being so patient.
I HAVE followed the link Noobytoogy suggested but it only leads me to a post on here. I HAVE copied that post and will take it to my mechanic i hopes of solving the issue.
The Touareg was purchased with 89,000 kms on it so I have limited experience with it as it stands.
I know that the brakes are NOT VW parts so I may start there, requesting that the dealer follow the guidelines suggested on the post regarding the TSB.
The prop shaft was replaced with a VW shaft, so I have ruled that out.
Again, thanks for your help, and I will follow up once I have changed brakes and replaced wheels according to the info in the TSB post that is on here.
Cheers

#15 ·
Again Noobytooby, I apologize if I am upsetting you but, as you can see, I did NOT state that the issue started at 89,000.

I am hoping that someone can help me identify a vibration issue I am having on my 2014 V6 Touareg.
I have changed tires, rims and the impeller shaft all to no avail.
I get the vibration at 102km/h to 120km/hr all the time
I feel the vibration on the seat, very little on the steering wheel.
It becomes very distinctive when I let off the gas at say 110-115 km/hr although I can feel it under load, in any gear.
VW Dealer seems to be stumped.
I have had the car since 89,000 kms and it now has 115,000 kms, vibrating all the way.

I STILL feel that this is a drivetrain issue, and dont feel it in the steering wheel as much as in the seat and console of the car.
This could indicate that the issue is with a rear wheel, I agree, but I am not confident that this is the issue.
You were kind enough to answer and I appreciate it, but if answering results in a loss of teeth, for christ sakes man......don't answer!!!!!

#16 ·
#17 ·
Ken,

Can you please update your profile, to include your location?

If you are in Australia, then there are a number of members here who can point you in the direction of a reputable and dependent, independent mechanic.

Dealerships are good, but when things start happening that appear to be somewhat troublesome, you need a hefty bank account. An independent will have the know-how, and the technology and experience to pinpoint the issue.

#19 ·
Hey Ken, I noticed you said in all gears under load. Pay attention to rpms? is it around the 1500rpm range that it's most notable? I had a loud sounding shudder under slow down engine braking when coming to traffic light etc and I contacted many VW dealers in montreal with no help. Called Sergio at VW prestige in montreal and he said over the phone that it's the exhaust humming near the header, asked about the rpm and if it was just below 2k. Put a low dollar part from a chrysler I believe, a weight, on the exhaust and no probs since.

Maybe....

#20 ·
Having just been to the dentist, and after re-reading all the posts whilst in the waiting room, then if the TSB wheel refit doesn't fix it, my money is now on the drive / prop shaft being very slightly out of position.

#21 ·
Hey T-Rex, as a matter of fact, yes. I have noticed exactly the same thing on mine.
When slowing down to approach a light or stop sign etc, it's like a shudder.
Two dealers/mechanics here in Toronto said ''It's nothing, don't worry about it'' although one DID manage to pinpoint the exhaust as the likely culprit.
Strangely, this seems to be less noticeable in summer for some reason???
LOVE to know what Chrysler part or weight Sergio used to resolve it.
I don't fancy a trip to Montreal to fix it :)

#22 ·
Thanks Nooby, the dealer is waiting for authorization from VW Canada as we speak.
They DID replace the prop shaft without any success or change.
This resulted in a question about the rear differential.
Apparently the technician feels there is something going on with that now.
My plan as it stands is to have the dealer perform the recommended TSB regarding brake installation and wheel installation before attacking the diff.
I will update as soon as I (hopefully) find a solution.
Glad your trip to the dentist went well and you still have teeth to pull!!!!!! :)
Cheers

#23 ·
My dentist is retiring next month and I suspect that's solely on the treatment fees I've paid him over the last 39 years!

Keep us posted.

#24 ·
UPDATE"

My dealer has performed the TSB regarding installation of brakes, no difference.
NOW he has decided that the problem may be in the rear differential.
His theory is based on him using a stethoscope to listen to the diff working noisily as compared to another Touareg on the hoist next to it that was quiet.
Having a differential replaced is a bigger undertaking than I had hoped for, but as they say............''IT IS WHAT IT IS''.
The dealer is working on VW Canada to try and get some of this cost under warranty, so hopefully I wont have to foot the whole bill.
To be continued.......................

#27 ·
hello, were you able to solve it?
I have the same problem, it vibrates from 80km/h, I have changed the complete transmission shaft and balanced tires and the problem continues. the vibration is from the rear.
If I put the car on a lift and roll it with the wheels in the air, it vibrates the same.
I thought it was from the rear group.
can you help me
my car is a 2008 3.0 7L6

#28 ·
yes I have finally fixed the problem! It was not a cheap fix. It turned out that the rear prop shaft (drive shaft to the rear diff) was bad. Turned out the balance weights rusted out. They were completely gone. This caused the ballance issue, also the carrier bearing was bad.
New drive shaft and bearing completely fixed the problem. But was $2000 repair

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.