Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

On the weekend I took off from a mates house to drive home and the Treg started making a very strange sound from underneath.

It's hard to describe ... but it sounded like (wait for it) ... a high pitched "metallic magpie" chortling. Seriously. Very weird.

Went through some elimination steps. Rev'ed motor in neutral ... noise still there. Rolled forward in neutral ... noise still there. Rolled forward ... light and hard touches on brakes ... noise still there. Noise increased on hard lock right, noise dissipated on hard lock left.

By the time I got home, the noise had disappeared, drove 100km's yesterday and it hasn't returned.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Power steering pump or fluid issue?

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Check the power steering fluid level though to rule it out.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The noise sounds like a center main drive line bushing that has come detached at the bracket. Speed of drive line reaches a harmonic resonance at some specific rotation, thereby creating said noise. Once it is resonating it can be impossible to stop other than a full stop. Both of my Tregs did this, but the second time I knew what it was and nipped it in the bud. What will happen next is the sound will increase in re occurrence and then volume finally leading to bushing failure (don't let it get here, replace before it deteriorates further and leaves you stranded). Can take a year or a week...it depends.

From under the vehicle drop the center main bearing support plate (has a few 16mm and two 13mm bolts and comes right off). Inspect the bushing by pushing / pulling the support bracket found on the other side. More than likely you will see the obvious...don't even need to know anything about mechanics to identify a torn bushing. Lots of info on here using search on replacements, but I prefer the Vertex Solution out of Florida, USA.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'd have suggest centre bearing too but, if the noise is there when the car is stationary and the prop shaft is not turning, then I think that is not your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coming from lower suspension?
Dry lower control arm ball joint?
My car did this after a trip to The Remarkables (bad road). Does it sound like metal to hard bushing?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Must be your lower control arm bussing's and ball joint, I have been driving with my screaming at me when going over bumps and turning for about a year and 15,000 miles. My research has found the cheapest is to replace the complete arms with new. The VW ones are stupid expensive, therefore I will be going with the TRW ones at 10% of the VW units. Sick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts