Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several TREGs and got reasonable wear with my OEM tires. This new one 2016 is going through GY LS tires fast. 5,000 miles, tires are almost done. My 2012 got 30+ miles before replacement. The car has had alignment and balancing checked. Ideas? I'll be going to Michelins soon.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had Goodyear LS Tires on my '15, they didn't quite make it to 30K, down to the tread bars. They also turned the vehicle into a boat in any standing water near the end of their life. I replaced with Continental TerrainContact A/Ts. When I traded it in for my '16 TDI, I made moving the Contis over a condition of sale. The Contis are great tires, I get better than 50K per set, rotate every 10K. Could probably push for more miles but winter was coming on.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Are you towing? Are you driving like a maniac? Are you running them super squishy for comfort?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I just looked up the specs.... LS2s are soft... way too soft for a rig this big. My OEM Pirellis are rated at 600 as a comparison. I wouldn't personally run anything that soft on the egg.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the comments, I don't drive on rough roads ,don't drive like crazy(78 yrs old LOL) I rarely tow and not very far when I do,so All the usual reasons for issues don't apply. and I did have the same OEMs on my 2012 a got so so mileage 30K +. Most of the miles are on several long trip each yr. NE to SWFL and back. 3000 mi round trip at 75 MPH. I guess I'm surprised VW used them for OEM. I'll replace these before going north in the spring. I will look into the continental Contact ATs.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would suggest that you feel them after one of those 3k trips at 75mph trough a warm climate.... I bet the heat is "melting" them away with that kind of usage pattern.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've never been a fan of tread wear warranties since they are prorated based on list price (so basically worthless) but I'd make an exception for tires that only lasted 5k.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it is any consolation, I did about 5k miles on mine at the time when I still had it and they were either too soft as well (do no recall the brand and type) but the front ones were well beaten when the vehicle was traded in. I do not see the same problem with Q5 I am running right now. It was either badly picked tire type relative to the weight of the car, or I am just an insane driver.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for my error in the first comments, I meant 15K miles not 5, DUH must be brain dead. I still can't believe any decent tire would be going bad at 15,000 miles. These tires cost over $200 bucks a piece. Had to buy one at 5000 miles from a nail in the side wall. Just a consumers report on SUV tires I'll be checking out when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Certain tires just don't wear well and certain tires just don't wear well on 5,000 lb suvs. also keep in mind that the manufacturer doesn't always put the greatest tires on their cars. In fact I've never liked a factory tire that's come on any of my cars they are one of the first things I upgrade as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
C'mon you guys, there are tons of contributing factors. Take everything into consideration.
It's a heavy vehicle on soft tires.
It's used a high speeds and it even tows.
It's a 2016 so it probably sat on some lot for years, just baking in the sun.
The tires on it are probably dated 2015/2016, so they are past their "shelf life" by now.

Is anyone really surprised that they are wearing at an accelerated rate?
Give your head a shake.

OP, entertain me. What's the date on the tires?

·
Registered
29 Posts
For what it’s worth, my 2015 came with the Goodyear LS. They still had 5/32 at 32k, but I had to get rid of them as they had no grip in any kind of weather. Replaced them with Michelin Premier LTX, V rated. 23k later, they have 6/32 left. Mind you, these tires start at 8.5/32 when new. Great ride, handling and wear. No matter what tire you run, you have to increase air to 36 in front and 39 in rear. Fixes a lot of issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
At least you wore them out.
I have never been able to wear out Goodyears, they usually separate long before they wear out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For what it’s worth, my 2015 came with the Goodyear LS. They still had 5/32 at 32k, but I had to get rid of them as they had no grip in any kind of weather. Replaced them with Michelin Premier LTX, V rated. 23k later, they have 6/32 left. Mind you, these tires start at 8.5/32 when new. Great ride, handling and wear. No matter what tire you run, you have to increase air to 36 in front and 39 in rear. Fixes a lot of issues.
I just put a set of Michelin Latitudes on and so far love the ride. Time will tell how they wear. FYI pressure does depends on tire size. Mine are 275/45/19 and the tag says 39F/46R.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,019 Posts

I have noticed that the pressures used in North America are higher than Europe - my 2016 TDi is 33/33 on the door sticker, for ALL sizes - set at that they wear evenly although the rear feels too hard when running unladen.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I run my tires near full pressures outside of winter, and above sticker levels during winter.
I can't understand how anyone justifies longer wear using a softer tire with a greater contact patch.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,019 Posts
I run my tires near full pressures outside of winter, and above sticker levels during winter.
I can't understand how anyone justifies longer wear using a softer tire with a greater contact patch.
My experience is that going significantly above sticker pressure leads to premature wear in the centre of the tread and reducing tyre life,

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think that's too broad of a statement.
If a specific cross section (size) tire is mounted on the correct width rim, it shouldn't "bulge" out in the center as per your statement above when it is designed to run max pressure of 50psi (for example) and you run it at say 40psi vs the 33psi that's on your sticker. Now take that same scenario and mount it on a 6" wide rim instead of a 8" wide rim and you'll have a different story.

But there are many other factors, such as road surfaces, driving styles, vehicle condition, loads, etc. Everyone needs to understand that stickers are only suggestions and don't apply to all conditions, makes and models of vehicles, etc. Monitor your own situation and requirements and adjust as necessary.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts