Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in colorado and recently purchased a 04 touareg. Snowed last night got very cold. now the check engine light is on and is staying on let the car warm up light still on, car warm turned off then back on to see if the light would reset did not. This never occured during the summer. has anyone else experinced this or have any ideas on what it could be. also the truck runs fine nothing out of the ordinary???????

· Registered
22 Posts
i think i got the same thing as you a few months ago, although it was summertime. It was the check oil pressure?? something like that. I checked the oil level and it was fine...brought it to the dealership, and it was a faulty sensor for the gauge. It was the gauge on the dash all the way to the left...not sure if that is the one you are having problems with. good luck.

· Registered
104 Posts
This was one of the reasons I got a VAG-COM. Here in the People's Republic of California, frequent skiers have learned to live with their check engine light always on. Dealers charge big bucks just to plug in their machines. My Ford Ranger was $260 to learn I might need a $15 part.

While under warranty, learn what lights the light. You could also borrow or buy a VAG-COM.

I anxiously await the snow...for many reasons.

· Registered
104 Posts
Cold, pressure changes, moisture, etc. all play havoc with smog sensors and their connections. Sometines it is not the sensor, but its connection. I (we)have just let the check engine light burn until just before our meaningless smog inspection. The smog guy checks for proper function and emissions, gets the light to go off, and clears the vehicle. The light typically lights back up on the ride home.

· Registered
6 Posts
Check Engine Light

In December when the temps got down to single digits the engine icon came on. I called VW they said you can drive forever like that, a week later I brought it is, it was a faulty temp sensor. This week we are back in the single digit temps again and once again the light is on. Will call VW on Monday, I suspect it will be the same sensor again. I had the same thing happen on my 02 Passat when it got cold last January.

· Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
If it is not flashing it is probably just an O2 sensor just not operating right. You won't know for sure until you get it scanned. There are plenty of people in the Denver area with VAG Com cables, you just need to find them to scan your car.

· Registered
9 Posts
Ok ..similar issue. it was -8 F here in Denver when I got up this morning...on my way to work CEL came on and did flash a couple times. car seemed to hesitate and misfire. Some vibrations sitting at Stop light....I have never had this before this point. 2006 V6 32k miles. i am curous if it is the extreme cold. I also read a couple posts about high octane gas in the cold. I always use premium 91 in CO. Never had any problems on my audi with premium gas and cold weather.

· Premium Member
10,136 Posts
I think people are making irrational connections between cold and CELs. If that was the case anyone in the northern US or Canada would spend all winter long with CELs on...obviously that's not the case.

CELs can be cause by hundreds of reasons from something as simple as a loose cas cap to as complex as a fuel mixture issue.

Get it check out with a VAG and get the real answer vs. jumping to conclusions.

· My God,it's full of stars
5,764 Posts
Re. Stateofclarity:
i am curous if it is the extreme cold.
You have absolutely no idea of what extreme cold is. If you'd like to find out, please join me for a foretaste this Sunday as they're predicting the bottom to fall out to -40F. Which is still a very long way from our annual -56F.

And no, as Nickm states, there isn't a correlation with cold other than connections if not the CFO would be blinded by the CEL being constantly on.

Bottom line is get a VAG-COM and check the problem.

siberian

· Registered
9 Posts
Re. Stateofclarity:
You have absolutely no idea of what extreme cold is. If you'd like to find out, please join me for a foretaste this Sunday as they're predicting the bottom to fall out to -40F. Which is still a very long way from our annual -56F.

And no, as Nickm states, there isn't a correlation with cold other than connections if not the CFO would be blinded by the CEL being constantly on.

Bottom line is get a VAG-COM and check the problem.

siberian

Thanks For the Help??????:confused:You my friend have no idea what I know and what I don't. I am sure it gets a lot colder in alaska. A medal is in the mail.:clapclap:

I found this thread this morning During what was -8f.(pretty sure that is very cold for most places***I know not Alaska***). So i saw it at the time to be coincidence of the Malfunction and weather same day. And others reporting something relativley similiar I am in the process of getting it Vagged but wanted an idea before hand.

Enjoy your -40f, sounds great.

Cheers

· Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Thanks For the Help??????:confused:You my friend have no idea what I know and what I don't. I am sure it gets a lot colder in alaska. A medal is in the mail.:clapclap:

I found this thread this morning During what was -8f.(pretty sure that is very cold for most places***I know not Alaska***). So i saw it at the time to be coincidence of the Malfunction and weather same day. And others reporting something relativley similiar I am in the process of getting it Vagged but wanted an idea before hand.

Enjoy your -40f, sounds great.

Cheers
Going by your description in your first post it would seem to me you have a coil pack issue. It just so happened it has shown it's self when it happened to be cold there. It is not related, just a coincedence imo. I bet that is what the VAG Com scan will probably show.

· Registered
118 Posts
a couple of things... for the 06 V6 reg owner, check with your dealer as I just had all coils replaced as VW sent me a letter telling me that I needed a different set, they covered it as a recall.

also, for all you cold weather folks... her in CT my treg seems to really never warm up and really takes a long time to get around 180 (and I recall this past summer in SC the temp running around 220, seemed high), runs really rough when coming to stops (idle appears to go below set RPM then back to normal with some vibration in the steering wheel). most cars run different in cold weather but would not expect this and have not experienced this in my Passat, Altima, Tahoe and Mustang.

Questions.. what is your experience for cold (in the teens) , a normal running temp and while we are on it what is normal temp for 100 degree weather? believe it or not the dealer really doesn't want to say either way. Also, my electric engine fan.. I never here it come on in warm weather but when really cold the thing comes on?

· My God,it's full of stars
5,764 Posts
I don't have a problem with heat in cold weather - mind you we haven't really hit the -50s and below. I would check your thermostat and test your electric fan.

siberian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.