Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here looking at a Touareg for towing. Dealer pic shows this yet says it has the 7-pin wiring connector. Can anyone please explain what I'm not seeing?

Also, do all TDIs have all the same cooling equip regardless of factory towing pkg?

thanks,
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having the dealer order one then we are going to go around on who's going to pay for it. If this part requires an adapter to make it compatible with standard trailer plugs then dealer agreed to pay for it. If it has the flat and round standard connectors under that flap then I'll pay. No way do you pay for a trailer hitch package and not have a standard plug on the back. Much less a screwed cover. My 05 didn't come this way but my 2011 did. we'll see......

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I'm having the dealer order one then we are going to go around on who's going to pay for it. If this part requires an adapter to make it compatible with standard trailer plugs then dealer agreed to pay for it. If it has the flat and round standard connectors under that flap then I'll pay. No way do you pay for a trailer hitch package and not have a standard plug on the back. Much less a screwed cover. My 05 didn't come this way but my 2011 did. we'll see......
You win.....Dealers paying.

·
Registered
177 Posts
See the square cover to the left of the hitch with 4 screws? My connector was located behind it. Was told it was just a protection cover until needed so the pins wouldn't get corroded.

Mine=2008 T2 v8

Hope yours is the same! Good luck!

:) Peace :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Tregs are made for a variety of markets, and they have a standard OEM style trailer connector on the end of the wiring harness, under the cover plate. The adapter others have recommended ( same as what VWoA will supply) will convert that to a standard NA RV flat blade receptacle. Then you can adapt from there to other common NAS connectors. You think it's a good idea to alienate your dealer over a $15 part?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Really? Lame. My '07 has a hinged & sprung door with a rubber gasket. Protects pins when not in use, easy to get to when needed, no tools required. It has the heavy duty, round 7-pin receptor, & I bought a nice, 7-pin to 4-pin adapter for $20. Works great!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Funny story, on one of the Tregs I looked at had $140.00 on the window sticker for the 78 pin plug. The vehicle that I purchased did not have the plug, only the trailer hitch, that makes alot of sense, right? After purchase, I originally ordered one from the dealer, $69.00. Upon advice on the forum, I returned the plug to the dealer (it was a Pollack Plug, POL 11-893 in a VW wrapper), went to my parts supplier and picked up the plug for around $10.00. Unscrewed the 4 screws and with a little work,(there is a clip to remove) pulled out the square dummy plug and installed the 7 pin plug with a spring loaded flap. I already had the adapter to plug into this recepticle for a pin type plug.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yup, easy-peasy and cheap. I really don't know what all the drama is about....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Funny thing was, when I brought it up to the dealer, he said "check the storage unit where the CD changer is"...sure enough the hinged cover was there, just not installed. Thought I had mentioned it in my first response...OOPS. Sowwy....:(

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Should be.

Good old American free enterprise.

Yes, from any reputable supplier, check the load ratings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used a wiring adapter kit from NAPA, it was $39. I dont remember the exact model number, but it looks exactly like this.
http://chevyavalancheperformance.net/store/images/Hoppy40955.jpg
I had to get creative when mounting it to the stock location mounting tabs, as the mounting holes were off just a little, i used zip ties to mount the four corners of the adapter to the Touareg mount and it sits nice a tight up and out of sight. Love it.

*EDIT*
I believe it is the Hoppy #40955

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just took a double look at the adapter on the touareg, it's made by Hopkins. But I'm sure the two brands are one in the same.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think I'm going to order this one from amazon and only $14

Pollak 11-893P 7-Way Sealed RV OEM Socket
POLLAK 17

I also found this review might be helpful to someone:

"My new Porsche Cayenne came with a trailer hitch plus the wiring and female socket for a hitch connector but not with the 7 pin connector itself. Apparently in Germany they have both a 7 pin and a 13 pin connector so when you get the car if you order a hitch option, you get the wiring installed but only with a flat plate cover "blank" that inserts inside the female wired socket. Neither 7 pin or 13 pin socket is included. To install this part, first you have to remove the flat plate "blank". This is not simple as you have to disassemble the little connector that locks it in. This is a two step process to first remove the little clip that locks the "blank" from being removed and then you can push down on a little tab to remove this blank and flat plate. Now you are ready to insert the part in this review, the Pollak 11-893P 7-Way Sealed RV OEM Socket. Once you remove the flat plate "blank", this part slips right in and you use the same machine screws that held the "blank" to the bracket on the car. I also bought the 4 pin adapter and it plugged well. No complaints. One suggestion is to use some corrosion prevention spray onto the connectors before you connect them. This assembly is pretty exposed to the elements so it's a good idea to protect it before it is subjected to the outside exposure."

·
Registered
383 Posts
Got my parts today from amazon

Pollak 11-893P 7-Way Sealed RV OEM Socket
POLLAK 17
$14.00

And a

Reese Towpower 74607 7way to 4way flat blade wiring adapter
$6.61

I guess these are supposed to be the same as the vw socket from what someone posted here

Here are pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yes, the socket is the same that VW supplies in NA. The 7 to 4 adapter will work, but is not resistor equipped to ensure compatibility with LED trailer lights, it might work, it might give you issues. Lots written here, on that.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes, the socket is the same that VW supplies in NA. The 7 to 4 adapter will work, but is not resistor equipped to ensure compatibility with LED trailer lights, it might work, it might give you issues. Lots written here, on that.
But it won't hurt anything right?
My trailer doesn't have LED tails just normal bulbs? Think it will be a problem?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts