Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a 2006 v6 3.2. I am in New Zealand - the car was originally sold in Australia. It has a non-VW tow bar attached which is rated to 3500kg. It has wiring also.

How do I tell if the wiring is the vehicle specific wiring that enables the towing stability control to work? Is there likely to be some clue on the wiring connector near the towbar or will I need to take it to a VW dealer for them to check it?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Is there a plug underneath the cover? If not, is there a wiring harness connected to the blank cover? Unscrew the cap and look. YES, they really DID sometimes run a wiring harness to a BLANK cover plate!!

The factory wiring harness will run up into the body somewhere near the taillights. In the right rear corner, over the wheel well, you will find the towing module lurking. Mine was forward of where the rear CD changer mounts.

You can plug VCDS into your vehicle and look for the towing module that way, too. Two trips or so to the dealer and you've paid for VCDS. ;- )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply - I'm pretty sure the plug cover has wires behind it - do I have to try and trace these wires back to the towing module in the wheel well? If they are connected then that is good yes??

Cheers

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Should be. With a used vehicle, who knows.... A VCDS autoscan will show the trailer module if it is installed, however. Or you can google image search for the trailer module and try to find it in your rear fender well. I think you'll have to pull off the side trim panel, however, to reach it. But looking inside your fender well behind the taillight assembly will give you a good idea. If that wiring hasn't been hacked (spliced, Scotch-lok connectors, etc), chances are good that the wiring is OEM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts