81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'd love to get a translation of what they say after the SNAP

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think "WTF" sounds something like "Cho za ga lima"!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Apart from straps, that particular Touareg is equipped with the davit.
Does that translate to a winch? If so, I did notice that, and certainly could have been a better choice for recovery. That said, the dangers present in that video only prove to me, that dumb luck can overcome clear and present dangers. I doubt the winch would have mitigated any of the dangers present, nor generated 'more' or 'better' recovery success.

Proper recovery of a vehicle is serious stuff... As I pack my yellow safety jacket for another ice driving event this week, I am certainly contemplating showing that video as a clear demonstration of the risks inherent in any and all recoveries.

Cheers

Scott J

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I'd love to get a translation of what they say after the SNAP
If I had been sitting in the front seat of that Touareg... "I pooped my pants." >:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Firsthand witness failure of both the bolt and the attachment point.

In the last couple years alone, at least a half dozen with me in the tow vehicle: The one that made me make the 'no-way ever again on that eyelet" call? A brand new, never-used bolt from the trunk of a 900mile Panamara dealer demo car, snapped on the first tug from a snowbank, left the threads in the hole. Another time, the bumper with the bolt, pulled through the cover on a Cayenne turbo only a couple years old. On a bolt inserted into a v8 quattro, replaced with new eyelet in front bumper, broke that too... The bolt on a B8 S4quattro... Me, I wouldn't trust that bolt as a flatbed anchor point.

I claim that the internet quote floating around these forums from a "VAG engineer" saying it is both a winch and snap-strap recovery point, directly conflicts with page 105 of the owners manual in my 2007 treg regarding *free-wheel towing" with the eyelet bolt:

"Do not pull too hard with the towing vehicle, and avoid jerking the tow rope. When towing on an unpaved road, there is always the risk of overloading and damaging the attachment points."

Yep, btdt, btst. 2 critical failure statements there, "don't pull too hard with the towing vehicle" (WTH does that mean?) and "avoid jerking the tow rope" (that is obvious = no snap straps)

That quote with a free rolling treg tow - tells me, that bolt was never designed for a stuck treg scenario, and no to snatch straps, as in never use one. If it can't take the jerk of a free tow, how is it supposed to take the pull of a stuck vehicle? In mud up to the body, the pulling force is 2-3 times the GVW, I'm betting that defines "don't pull too hard" in the owners manual even if using a winch! I sure would want whomever quoted a VAG engineer saying it is safe to recover and snap-strap from that eyelet, to put that in writing on corporate letterhead. Every piece of 'your' hardware can be rated, and I have yet to see or hear a rating on that eyelet (I asked many times over the years). My claim: Until that eyelet is documented with a rating, it is assumed to be the weakest link for recovery. That's my claim, and my direct experience with the failure of that hardware is consistent with what is printed in my owners manual.

Be safe folks. With this thread, and reading up more on that eyelet, convinces me, several of you folks have been darn lucky? Easy solution, pull from the hitch.every.time.

Cheers and rally on

Scott J

'07 v10tdi - Xena

'03 Suburban 2500 - Thor

'94 FZJ80 Landcruiser - Sumo

So, it actually sheared the threads off the eyelet? How about the female side in the bumper? We’re those threads compromised as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Does that translate to a winch? If so, I did notice that, and certainly could have been a better choice for recovery. That said, the dangers present in that video only prove to me, that dumb luck can overcome clear and present dangers. I doubt the winch would have mitigated any of the dangers present, nor generated 'more' or 'better' recovery success.

Proper recovery of a vehicle is serious stuff... As I pack my yellow safety jacket for another ice driving event this week, I am certainly contemplating showing that video as a clear demonstration of the risks inherent in any and all recoveries.

Cheers

Scott J
Yes, I meant winch of course, my mistake. And the wire could easily part too.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
So, it actually sheared the threads off the eyelet? How about the female side in the bumper? We’re those threads compromised as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yes. And to a comment you made earlier, my tow eyelet is steel, not aluminum. I checked it with a magnet for S&G

I freely admit, I have witnessed and documented the failure and the remedy, the cause really isn't something I have time to delve into. At track rental rates approaching 1000USD/hr, my primary directive is to recover the vehicle, not do a lot of post mortem. My claim is the threads on that bolt are likely stronger than the female threads in the bumper, but I don't go digging to find the 'rest' of the pieces, and usually just hand the left over hardware back to the vehicle owner.

I pinged a good friend who owns a towing service, he won't touch a eyelet mount to even load a car on a flatbed. Too many insurance claims of bumpers coming off. Could be a salt in Chicago thing, but I bet very few tow truck drivers would trust that eyelet bolt for any recovery operation.

See my thread on the eyelet bolt for recovery. My opinion from that research is, there are a lot of lucky Treg owners... And, until someone comes up with the ECE 1005 M1 test results for the Touareg, I will continue to refuse recovery with an eyelet mount.

Cheers

Scott J
07 v10tdi

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Oh boy.... just wait till all the keyboard racers see this...... next thing will be tug wars with bulldozers and crap....

81 - 93 of 93 Posts