Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has experienced being locked out of their vehicle as often as I have??

I an 04 Touareg 4.2 that I bought relatively brand new 7yrs ago. The original owners never drove it, so it had just rolled over 25k when I purchased it in 2012. I changed the original battery 3yrs ago with a Sears Diehard that only lasted a couple years before I started having to jump it and have to call a locksmith on numerous occasions. I went back to the OEM battery this past winter as the Diehard simply wouldn't hold up.

The Touareg is my second vehicle so I don't drive a ton in the summer months. It'll sit 3 or 4 days at a time. Only today I've had my first "lockout" situation with the new battery. It's been sitting since the weekend and upon preparing to run some errands, doors wouldn't open and the flashing lights for the alarm on both front doors weren't flashing. I figured I'd ask around first instead spending another $75. Fyi...I've never used the the actual key on this vehicle. Tried many occasions to break it free but not successful. Thanks in advance for any helpful info!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Lube your lock. You can use VCDS to check your voltage and such... perhaps you have a draw somewhere. How old is the current battery? Have you entertained putting a battery tender on it since you have it sitting most of the time?

If everything is good on it, it should be able to sit for a couple of weeks between uses without any fuss.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lube your lock. You can use VCDS to check your voltage and such... perhaps you have a draw somewhere. How old is the current battery? Have you entertained putting a battery tender on it since you have it sitting most of the time?

If everything is good on it, it should be able to sit for a couple of weeks between uses without any fuss.....

I appreciate the info!! I ended reluctantly calling a locksmith. What I did do and totally forgot about though was left my phone charger plugged in more. The battery went in in December. For now I think lubes and unseize door lock, and be sure not to leave my phone charger plugged before I let it sit for days on end. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Learn how to get the key out of the fob and use the emergency unlock - do it at a sociable hour as it does set the alarm off!

The plastic key needs turning quite hard - if you'd worried it might snap, get a steel copy cut, VW blank HAA - I must get a copy for mine!

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
For those with the hard to turn key... Are you sure that you don't need to lube the keylock.

The T1 keyfob has a metal key built into the keyfob as well as a plastic valet key. If you don't lube the T1 door lock at least once a year, it feels like you are going to break the metal key. Lube the lock and it turns pretty easily.

___

There are a variety of issues that can cause a T1 to battery drain. There was a TSB to check / fix a bad battery cable. It is possible for some of the modules to go bad (Compass was a classic one) and drain the battery. If you have the keyless entry, that module can go bad and drain the battery (See rebuilding a kessy thread).

As a T1 owner, you should be pretty safe for about 7 days as long as you give it a good 15 minute run when you start it. If you don't run the engine for at least 15 minutes, then you probably are not giving it a full charge.

If everything is working correctly, you can move up to the larger battery as shipped in the V10 for 2004. All you have to do is to buy a new positive battery cable from VW, as the original is about one inch too short. Install that and then the V10 battery will fit.

Diehard, Craftsman, and Sears are now all junk that I avoid. Lowes has put so much red Craftsman crap into Lowes that I have to stop at the Harbor Freight across the street, to get higher quality tools.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those with the hard to turn key... Are you sure that you don't need to lube the keylock.

The T1 keyfob has a metal key built into the keyfob as well as a plastic valet key. If you don't lube the T1 door lock at least once a year, it feels like you are going to break the metal key. Lube the lock and it turns

___

There are a variety of issues that can cause a T1 to battery drain. There was a TSB to check if fix a bad battery cable. It is possible for some of the modules to go bad (Compass was a classic one) and drain the battery. If you have the keyless entry, that module can go bad and drain the battery (See rebuilding a kessy thread).

As a T1 owner, you should be pretty safe for about 7 days as long as you give it a good 15 minute run when you start it. If you don't run the engine for at least 15 minutes, then you probably are not giving it a full charge.

If everything is working correctly, you can move up to the larger battery as shipped in the V10 for 2004. All you have to do is to buy a new positive battery cable from VW, as the original is about one inch too short. Install that and then the V10 battery will fit.

Diehard, Craftsman, and Sears are now all junk that I avoid. Lowes has put so much red Craftsman crap into Lowes that I have to stop at the Harbor Freight across the street, to get higher quality tools.
Much appreciated!! And agreed on Sears batteries due to that the one I purchased only lasted a couple years, and the OEM battery that preceded it had been in the vehicle at least 10yrs. For now I'll be sure that my phone charger is plugged in while it sits for days on end, and to get that door lock lubed and functional👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
FindingForever...
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing