Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to recalibrate my air suspension height settings with VCDS
After entering the corrected values for front left, front right, rear left, rear right, I select "confirm", but 'test' and 'save' don't show up/highlight.
How to 'complete' the revision?

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
725 Posts
Leave it alone! It can be changed but it’s not worth the problems it can cause. It changes the ride height.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leave it alone! It can be changed but it’s not worth the problems it can cause. It changes the ride height.
I have been changing ride height (modifying the stock settings) for years on Audi Allroad. "not worth it" is a very subjective statement. "problems it cause": unless the Touareg is different from all the other cars I have dealt with, there are no problems. Maybe with the exception that using extreme values (like I do on my 'power wagon', which I allow to REALLY drop on the lowest level) will increase the wear on your drive axle U CV joints.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
725 Posts
I have been changing ride height (modifying the stock settings) for years on Audi Allroad. "not worth it" is a very subjective statement. "problems it cause": unless the Touareg is different from all the other cars I have dealt with, there are no problems. Maybe with the exception that using extreme values (like I do on my 'power wagon', which I allow to REALLY drop on the lowest level) will increase the wear on your drive axle U CV joints.
Sounds like you know what you are doing. Have fun!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The question was: how to complete the revision? Does anybody know?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you know what you are doing. Have fun!
Yes, I know what I want to do (recalibrate the height system; that is what the feature is for).
The question was: after entering the new values for each corner (test, save), how to finish the sequence.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
There is no harm if someone wanted to permanently change the ride height to plus or minus a small amount. I am not sure that the small amount of change is worth it. If you make a large change, then the system will go into an error mode.

If you search the board, most of these threads have turned into Help! I changed the settings and now my car is screwed over.

So nothing harmful is meant by the Don't do it. It's not worth it! It is just trying to keep someone who doesn't understand how easy it is to the the controller into a error loop from making that mistake.

Now, I would love to hear from someone who has been doing it on an allroad for years. What did you do? How did it help? What extra driving enjoyment did it give you?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I lowered my 2004 Allroad, and all 3 of my Touaregs (2004, 2006, 2015). I lowered each about an inch or so. My 2015 is lowered about 1.5" and looks great with spacers and when in load height. No issues with any of the 4.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back to my original question/problem:

How to 'complete' the revision?

I go through channel 1-4 to test/save/confirm the values.
I am used to going to channel 5, enter "1" test, save, confirm. Then close, log out.

This does NOT work for me on this car, not sure why. when going to channel 5, fields are filled with red 'error' text.

I am still getting error code "adaption not completed"

I also tried using the pull down menu for 'step 5' ("confirm settings"), same effect (fields filled with red 'error' text).

·
Registered
63 Posts
This isn't going to be helpful or answer any questions because it's a simple anecdote, so my apologies ahead of time. When I lifted mine, I just followed the instructions on the Ross-Tech website (which is what your'e describing with channels 1-4 and test/save/etc) and it more or less worked out as described. I think I had a few hiccups where things didn't work exactly as instructed the first time, but I went through it two or three times and kept remeasuring just to be sure and everything ended up as I had intended which was a Touareg that was lifted 38mm over stock at all four corners.

Hopefully some of the other knowledgeable air-ride/VCDS guys can chime in. I am totally out of my element with VCDS, honestly; I just stumble around and hope I don't brick the ECU lol.

And for everyone else. Changing the ride height is not a big deal. Quit trying to scare people. Why are you so afraid of modifying a vehicle? We're on a forum that's got a pretty rich history of customization.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And for everyone else. Changing the ride height is not a big deal. Quit trying to scare people. Why are you so afraid of modifying a vehicle? We're on a forum that's got a pretty rich history of customization.
Thanks for your input.
Do you recall the last step?

I am still unclear why it does not 'accept' the procedure close out.
Output test also goes through without a hitch.

And thank you for your support of the DIY and modify community out there.
Next, we have someone posting "don't put another brand of tires on your Treg; the engineers know what they were doing by selecting xxxx brand". Or similar UNFOUNDED scares.
I am not saying there aren't any substantiated "DON'T DO THIS" (like mix 'green' coolant fluid with the G12) out there.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
___

Whatever you do, don't try to clear, force, or trick the controller into taking the inputs. Those of attempted that in the past ended up with the controller setting an internal error and going into a fail-safe mode. Then, the auto leveling stopped working.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then, the auto leveling stopped working.
I assume that would then required to repeat the process with correct inputs, complete the adaption. Clear the code.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only guess I currently have is that with the softcoding already done to "-25mm", the values to be entered must be outside the acceptable range (even so they WERE accepted during step 1-4) and step 5 is NOT allowing them to be permanently accepted.
I will try with standard height softcoding ("0mm") and standard height numbers, see if I can go through the sequence including step 5.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I assume that would then required to repeat the process with correct inputs, complete the adaption. Clear the code.
There are some old threads on here about it. Yes, eventually you should be able to get cranky to accept the inputs. But, as you see, cranky is quite cranky about it when it is working. If you try to force clear out the old values, it actually gets stubborn.

At least now, when it will not accept new inputs, you can drive the car on the old inputs.

Imagine trying to get it to accept inputs and knowing that the car is not derivable until that happens. Stressful.

Good luck with your mod.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The only guess I currently have is that with the softcoding already done to "-25mm", the values to be entered must be outside the acceptable range (even so they WERE accepted during step 1-4) and step 5 is NOT allowing them to be permanently accepted.
I will try with standard height softcoding ("0mm") and standard height numbers, see if I can go through the sequence including step 5.
Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. There is definitely a range that they won't go beyond due to the level sensors, but I'm unsure of how VCDS acts or responds when you try to go outside of that range. I still can't speak to the specific issue you're having, though, so more anecdotes here. User Dillon, I think, tried lifting his more and he said it got cranky at/above 40mm and wouldn't accept it, so he ended up modifying the level sensor arms. When I did mine, I had already messed with it to some extent and so I ended up putting it back to stock height before making my desired adjustment, just to be sure I was within range.

Unfortunately I no longer have my Touareg or I'd go mess with it and try to help troubleshoot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts