Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using VCDS for some years now, and been really satisfied. But I just bought ODIS and now I suddenly can fix all the problems VCDS just displayed. My HVAC motor flaps and a few other software related was fixed by ODIS without me doing anything else than pressing "next" a few times.

I highly recommend ODIS for people comfortable with software. It is a little bit more complex than VCDS, but allowes you to fix problems as well through guided instructions and pictures.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but I bought mine off eBay with the V5404A cable. Works with the newest version, 3.0.3.

Here you can upload a VCDS scan and see if all your components have the newest software/firmware installed, and ODIS can flash them if necessary.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have been using VCDS for some years now, and been really satisfied. But I just bought ODIS and now I suddenly can fix all the problems VCDS just displayed. My HVAC motor flaps and a few other software related was fixed by ODIS without me doing anything else than pressing "next" a few times.

I highly recommend ODIS for people comfortable with software. It is a little bit more complex than VCDS, but allowes you to fix problems as well through guided instructions and pictures.
Do you have a official VCDS and what version of software? what module could not be set?

Sounds as though the "cable" you have also updates module software?

BTW Cables do not fix anything :wink2:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"1 Fault Found:
02599 - Rear Left Temperature Flap Motor (V313)
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - Intermittent"

This error I have had since I bought the car. VCDS reported it, but I have no idea how to fix it with VCDS.

ODIS reported it and asked if it should fix it, and so it did.

·
Registered
682 Posts
"1 Fault Found:
02599 - Rear Left Temperature Flap Motor (V313)
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - Intermittent"

This error I have had since I bought the car. VCDS reported it, but I have no idea how to fix it with VCDS.

ODIS reported it and asked if it should fix it, and so it did.

You have to "Adapt" the new/used part after installing.

Replace part.
Adapt part (if needed).
Reset error.
Test.

Looks like someone did NOT adapt the part. (step 2)

Again, on VCDS, just a couple clicks.

Most of your "servo" type devices will need adapting.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have to "Adapt" the new/use part when installed.

Replace part.
Adapt part (if needed).
Reset error.
Test.
Indeed, but instead of searching forums and hoping someone have done this before, AND done a write-up, ODIS guides you trough all the steps with pictures and measured values and everything you need to get it done. VCDS doesn't offer this.

But VCDS offer an easier user experience with the same possibilities regarding coding/adapting, if you know how.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I suddenly can fix all the problems VCDS just displayed...
It is a little bit more complex than VCDS, but allowes you to fix problems...
I was just letting you know, you are incorrect.

As I said, cables fix nothing. But both cable (guessing on your cable) do adaptation is what your trying to say.

Are you saying it's more complex than VCDS and does mostly of what it can do? That sounds terrorable.

Is either the cables you have legit? >:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just letting you know, you are incorrect.

As I said, cables fix nothing. But both cable (guessing on your cable) do adaptation is what your trying to say.

Are you saying it's more complex than VCDS and does mostly of what it can do? That sounds terrorable.

Is either the cables you have legit? >:)
Am I incorrect in now having solved my faults?

ODIS is not a cable, it's a software used by VW-service to do all their software "jobs" with a car. A suitable cable is needed to communicate with the car.

As English is not my primary language I seem to be phrasing myself poorly.

Summary: ODIS can do everything VCDS can, and a lot more as:
- Generate a service plan based on an initial scan and
- guide you through the steps necessary to solve your problems with live values and pictures of the placement of components.
- Flash newer software/firmware to the components if needed.
- Explain what all your cars faults is and why they have appeared, and what faults to ignore.

I still use VCDS as my primary scanning tool because it is easy to use, detects all faults and can do everything I have learned to do. But ODIS gets out when I find faults I do not know what to do with.

This was not intended as an VCDS vs. ODIS, as I tried to avoid by naming the thread "VCDS and ODIS". But it was intended to inform computer interested VW owners that there is other options out there than VCDS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
Xeno555
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing