Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this was covered.

Channel 16 Steering wheel -> Adaptation -> channel 10.

Factory default is 28C, I changed mine to 34C. Toasty!

forgot whether you need security access to it, but it's provided in VCDS.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,718 Posts
I have an '11 Treg Lux gasser. As far as I know it doesn't have a heated steering wheel. Is it really there but just disabled or does this model just not have it installed at all?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an '11 Treg Lux gasser. As far as I know it doesn't have a heated steering wheel. Is it really there but just disabled or does this model just not have it installed at all?
Lux doesn’t have the hardware. You will need a heated steering wheel and a different clockspring. You can search my username, I’ve covered the part numbers and installation in the past.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,718 Posts
Thanks for the info yuyueyuyue.
I was just curious if my model had the hardware installed but wasn't activated. TBH in the winter I just face the vents towards the steering wheel where I grab them and I have a heated steering wheel. I don't plan on changing the SW or the associated HW.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Any idea if the wheel can be linked to the heat level of the seat?

Is there a way to use the green screen to change the temp?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anyone that has done this mod notice that it does heat to a hotter temp, but then shuts off and waits a long time before coming on again? I'd like to shorten the "off" interval if possible.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I changed the set point of my heated wheel and initially I thought the same thing you did... but, most heating elements are controlled with some form of PID method. So what will happen is it will 'over heat' to get the steering wheel (mass) itself up to temperature. Then once the steering wheel mass is up to temperature it will turn off and only maintain the wheel at the programmed temperature by periodically turning the heat on or up. This creates a feeling 'hot' while it warms up the cold soaked wheel. And when the heating element turns off it feels cooler relative to the hot setting, but it is not. Relatively speaking the wheel is colder than the hot temp used to get it to temperature fast.

Check the temperature with a non contact infrared thermometer when the wheel heating element goes back off the wheel should still be around the set temp. Of course you can set it to be a higher temperature (say 37.5 C / 99.5 F) but you may find it too warm once the vehicle comes up to temp. Even on a cold 20 F day a wheel set to 35 or 36 will feel warm once it arrives at the set temperature. But really the time we 'want' a warm wheel is right when we get in and the entire interior is cold soaked. Then that nice 100 F feel is nice and toasty. which is what you feel while the wheel is coming up to temperature.

On my '13 I set the wheel temp to (IIRC) 35.5 C which is about 96F. I found for my preference that if I set it too hot my hands would start to sweat on a longer trip. So I backed it down 1 -2 degrees C from what felt warm.

I would recommend trying a few settings and seeing how youl like them. Try 34 C to 38 C and see what you like. I think I was able to adjust in 1/2 degree increments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts