Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been battling some issues with my valve body over the last few weeks. I had the common 2-3 "clunk" but only when under heavy load and usually up significant inclines.

I ordered a reman from a shop in Florida. Once I put it in, I it was shifting great when cold, but as soon as the trans fluid gets up to about 65-70 decrees C, it would start to shift incredibly hard and would get worse as it got hotter. I would also get a TCC mechanical malfunction code as soon as it got to about 45 degrees and the lock up clutch would stop engaging. Clearing the code would solve it until the next drive and 45 degrees again.

The shop has shipped out another reman for me and should arrive tomorrow. So today I pulled out the bad one and noticed that it did not match my old VB perfectly. There is a square component stamped into the lower VB, that is not present in my original. In the picture below, my original is the one on the left and the reman is the one on the right. I'm not sure what will show up tomorrow.

Does anyone know what the reason for the difference is? Is this just a part variant, or is this something that needs to match up to the original perfectly? Any help is much appreciated! I can't seem to find much definitive info online.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
There was an extra pressure switch there on early variants of the TR-60SN valve bodies (well, there were actually two, but only one on that side of the valve body), which were later removed from the design, because they were prone to failure and not deemed neccessary. Your refurbished valve body is an old one. Putting an old body in a new transmission shouldn't be a problem, because the new controller won't be looking for the sensors - so, it's no problem if they're missing, or present but not connected. The problem only exists with putting a new valve body into an old transmission, where the old controller won't work without the extra pressure switches being present and supplying valid data.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts