Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of help. I have searched all over for a solution with no help. I am attempting to convert my halogen headlight on my 05 touareg to led. My headlight bulb is secured by a twist on connection and the led would need an adapter to secure it. Besides attempting to modify the current twist on and possibly ruining by headlight assembly i am out of luck. Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
why not HID instead of LED ???

Most T1 owners have gone this route because of the cats eye lense

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I very much doubt that the headlight lenses are the correct shape for the correct and accurate projection of an LED light source whereas the lenses will still work with the greatly improved light output of aftermarket HIDs since the bulb shape of the HID is the same as a halogen bulb.

Stick with 4300K or 5000K HIDs. Any higher Kelvin will start moving in to the blue spectrum away from the whiter light I think you are seeking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I very much doubt that the headlight lenses are the correct shape for the correct and accurate projection of an LED light source whereas the lenses will still work with the greatly improved light output of aftermarket HIDs since the bulb shape of the HID is the same as a halogen bulb.

Stick with 4300K or 5000K HIDs. Any higher Kelvin will start moving in to the blue spectrum away from the whiter light I think you are seeking.
the problem that i am having is that the stem part where the leds are attached wont fit through the current twist on that there now. so either i have to dremel /drill it bigger or find an adapter. i prefer the adapter because i just brought the headlight and if i have to send it back i don't want any issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
heads up
I converted my 04 (which dont twist-n-lock, mine have a metal tap the wedges in)
to HID that were not CanBus so I added a Resistor

yesterday noticed in the reflection of the car in front of me I had one out

opened the up the resistor melted threw the black plastic of the housing and melted the wiring

I guess its my fault for putting everything in the housing

I switched back to the crappy halogens :(

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
the problem that i am having is that the stem part where the leds are attached wont fit through the current twist on that there now. so either i have to dremel /drill it bigger or find an adapter. i prefer the adapter because i just brought the headlight and if i have to send it back i don't want any issues.
Why have you bought new headlights units?

A simple HID conversion using a good quality CANBUS compatible kit would greatly improve light output.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
heads up
I converted my 04 (which dont twist-n-lock, mine have a metal tap the wedges in)
to HID that were not CanBus so I added a Resistor

yesterday noticed in the reflection of the car in front of me I had one out

opened the up the resistor melted threw the black plastic of the housing and melted the wiring

I guess its my fault for putting everything in the housing

I switched back to the crappy halogens :(
As above, buy a good quality CANBUS compatible kit that does not require extra resistors and keep the ballasts outside the headlight unit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why have you bought new headlights units?

A simple HID conversion using a good quality CANBUS compatible kit would greatly improve light output.
The originals had specks on them. it appeared to be inside the assembly and the connection to the back of the halogen had kind of melted to the bulb, forcing me to break the plastic around the female connectors to replace the bulb. Once i got a new headlight the difference between the two was too much. Looked crappy actually, so i was forced to buy another one. If i dont find an adapter i am going to have to return the leds that i purchased and call it a day.

·
Registered
734 Posts
What's wrong with the halogen bulbs? If you have new housings, the halogens should be pretty good.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't use LEDs - use a brighter (higher wattage) halogen if you need brighter. Though there's some other discussions on what causes bad light output on the T1s you probably want to read through.

An H7 bulb is not shaped properly for an LED to provide light. LEDs require proper enclosures that can use the panels of LEDs properly 'forward facing' rather than stacked as a fake bulb.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't use LEDs - use a brighter (higher wattage) halogen if you need brighter. Though there's some other discussions on what causes bad light output on the T1s you probably want to read through.

An H7 bulb is not shaped properly for an LED to provide light. LEDs require proper enclosures that can use the panels of LEDs properly 'forward facing' rather than stacked as a fake bulb.
I just sent an email to return my leds, but what about a hid light?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

I would not increase the wattage as I doubt the wiring will cope with the extra power load or heat. The insulation failing is already a well known problem.

As above, the Touareg lenses are designed for an incandescent bulb not LEDs.

Yes, the halogens are crap - dangerous even - so stick to getting a good HID kit.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Use a whole HID assembly if you can, not just a bulb/ballast.
Touareg xenon headlight units [which aren't cheap even when secondhand] are not directly interchangeable with Touareg halogen units - the plugs at the back of the units are wired differently.

The simple and most economical way forward for the OP, as I have said before, is to buy a good aftermarket, 55 watt, CANBUS proof, HIDs kit.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts