Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am new to the forum and on a previous post about a few niggles I am having with a 2006 Touareg I have just purchased, someone has said that I should get a Ross tech VagCom (VCDS). I am certainly no mechanic and wouldn't attempt anything major but it would be good to know where faults are. Are there any good alternatives to the Ross tech system?

Many thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nikoloz. As with all these things I guess you get what you pay for.

I have seen the Foxwell NT500 Professional VAG Scanner on various websites including Gendan and it seems to get reasonable reviews. Anyone on here have any experience with these?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes there are others, but there is only one Ross-Tech.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The Ross tech and software allow you to make changes, most other tools are just scan tools. You can clear codes and get diagnostic codes, but the Ross Tech software allows you to change the programming or even use for complicated servicing procedures (resetting sensors when installing new oxygen sensors, injection solenoids, running electric pumps, etc.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response ToolmanJohn.

I guess the only thing from my point of view is that I dont know enough about cars to be looking to change programming etc. ...........I purely want to be able to identify faults as they occur and reset after servicing etc and for that the Ross Tech looks too much of a system for me.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
A Snap-On scan tool (or something similar) will likely be much more expensive. They're designed to be updated for various manufacturers.

VCDS wil allow you to read the CAN bus modules that a regular OBD-II reader will not. For that reason alone, it's is worth it.

And as already mentioned, the answer to your original question is "No." :- )

My mechanic has VCDS and they use that more than the "professional" scanners.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If all you may want to do is read and reset fault codes, then a OBDII bluetooth scanner and a phone app like "Torque" might be all you need.

If you do have fault codes, they will come back if the problem that caused it doesn't get fixed.

·
Registered
781 Posts
A Ross-Tech cable is the best money you will ever spend. Even if you don't know your way around tools or care to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I think the message is very clear........ Buy the Ross Tech VCDS as alternatives don't come close !! Thanks for your input everyone.

·
Registered
732 Posts
A Ross-Tech cable is the best money you will ever spend. Even if you don't know your way around tools or care to.
Agreed. I kinda feel bad that I bought in almost 15 years ago and have only upgraded my cable once. For a product this good, I should be paying more. :)

Maybe I'll send them a donation...I have 5 cars in my stable that see the Ross Tech software periodically!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ross Tech Cable

Excuse me For the hijack, I'm new to this and need to know if there is more than just a Cable that I need to purchase?
Is the Software down loaded on line, or is it purchased with the cable?
On EBay.... VCDS VAG-COM 15.7.4 Multiscan AI Professional VAG Ross-Tech Diagnostic interface, $612.00.
Is this the way to go, looks like you get a Cable and a USB stick.
Please point me in the right direction and thank you,
Your help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,931 Posts
Excuse me For the hijack, I'm new to this and need to know if there is more than just a Cable that I need to purchase?
Is the Software down loaded on line, or is it purchased with the cable?
On EBay.... VCDS VAG-COM 15.7.4 Multiscan AI Professional VAG Ross-Tech Diagnostic interface, $612.00.
Is this the way to go, looks like you get a Cable and a USB stick.
Please point me in the right direction and thank you,
Your help appreciated.
Be very careful buying Ross-Tech cables (VCDS) from any source apart from Ross-Tech themselves. Should you buy from (for example) ebay etc, then, should you ever email Ross-Tech for assistance, they will shun you, as the print-out of the scan (which they WILL ask for) will show a non-registered licence. Ross-Tech can on-sell a 'licence' so that you may use the support service (back of house), but, the licence cost + the cable cost from ebay will be more than buying the licenced cable from Ross-Tech themselves.

I recommend (but it is entirely your decision), to email Ross-Tech (Ross-Tech: Home) and advise them what VW/VAG vehicles you own, or wish to use the 'cable' on. They will happily advise you the correct cable (there are different versions/formats) that will be best suited for you.

The software itself is freely downloadable from their website. You may wish to purchase a 2nd hand cable, and download the software. The cable and it's reporting ability to you will be fine, and un-encumbered. But...just no support from Ross-Tech. In saying that, there are plenty of knowledgable guys on the forum here, and amongst other support forums.

If you want my opinion, support the company that supports owners. Buy from Ross-Tech.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
$600????!!!! You can get the regular VCDS (10 VINs) for about $350 or so. $50 extra for the wifi "beta" version. That's what I have. It's great to be able to whip it out and check things on your phone instead of having to fire up the laptop or Windows tablet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts