Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ratting through the web I came across this most interesting piece of equipment.
Vag-COM cable plus genuine Ross tech Software for $77
Seller: Total Car Diagnostics, link: https://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/shop/vagcom-rosstech-vcds
Too good to be true? A Full refund of purchase price is offered for a period of one year if the product is in any way inferior to Ross tech original
Do you think that there's value in a purchase, I'd be interested to hear either first hand (from buyers) or those in the know
Season's Greeting to all

·
Registered
28 Posts
@Phredd, you are better to bypass that one. I bought that last year and it won't access some of the important modules like engine amongst others, so not much use. They also have a more expensive one for $120-130 which is better but still not perfect. I bought the second one, no refund on first one for some reason(can't remember why) which does me ok as I have EGR and swirl flap faults come up from time to time and I am able to clear the fault.
If I had my time over I would go straight to the Rosstech unit. My car has done 325k now and going good(touch wood) so will run it into the ground before upgrading. It only cost me $12k last year as a work car to drive around work sites etc so doesn't owe me much. Cheers Tim

·
Super Moderator
1,712 Posts
Phredd,

the VCDS (Ross-tech)software is free to download and update from the Ross-tech website.

I read thru your prospective purchaser's website and in particular their 'guarantee'. They declare:
* To filter out the tire-kickers from genuine customers, we'll only refund if: (1) You have first asked us to help you with your situation. Because we resolve 99% of cases (2) If support is unsuccessful (which is almost never the case), then product must be shipped back to our address in Australia

Now #1 gives them some room to manoeuvre and has some ambiguity in it. The way that website waffles on about how good their product is, continually repeating the same claims leaves me somewhat concerned.

Then, you have https://www.ross-tech.com/

The old adage "you get what you pay for applies". Any concerns about the higher price of the Ross-tech product are soon forgotten, when you understand and experience the level of support they offer and consistently provide. The unit is a must have if you are touring and have a knowledgeable mechanic back at home, that you can ring and say "the VCDS scan says ........." - this is what we have as a plan whenever we travel.

*unpaid endorsement of Ross-tech ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your informative replies, and I'll admit that I was fishing. I too, noted the continual reference to how good their product is, and that rang warning bells
Whilst it was an interesting ad, I felt that there was too much snake oil in it, hence the posting on this forum
I'll put the pennies together and invest in Ross-Tech
May I wish you all a Safe and Happy New Year and I look forward to continued valuable reading on this most excellent forum
Cheers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
All of the knock-offs are the same so there's no reason to spend $75 dollars over a $15 dollar one. They're hacked so the firmware won't update and then you're locked to whichever version they supply, which doesn't matter too much when you're using an older vehicle. If you accidentally update your software, though, it'll brick your hacked device and they aren't always capable of doing all of the functions. That's likely the caveat they have in there where if you brick it or it doesn't work they'll send you an updated version with an older version of software. All in all a lot of frustration to save yourself $100. Put that together with people selling used versions for $100-250 and you're left without a whole lot of incentive to buy one of these janky versions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very glad to have mine with us on our holiday travels. Used today, peace,of mind. Having 3 VAG cars made it a good investment for minor mods, programming replacement key fobs, and scanning for faults.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
522 Posts
Go with OE Ross-Tech. I bought one from the site you mentioned. Found out after that some files for modules dissapeared. I wound up buying the Ross-Tech one and thankfully it restored the missing files. I contacted TotalCarDiagnostics and I have to say I'm impressed that they refunded my money in full.
My only gripe with Ross-Tech is that it is limited to three VIN #'s, which I think is a big turn off for potential buyers.

·
Super Moderator
1,712 Posts
Go with OE Ross-Tech. I bought one from the site you mentioned. Found out after that some files for modules dissapeared. I wound up buying the Ross-Tech one and thankfully it restored the missing files. I contacted TotalCarDiagnostics and I have to say I'm impressed that they refunded my money in full.
My only gripe with Ross-Tech is that it is limited to three VIN #'s, which I think is a big turn off for potential buyers.
3 VIN unit is $us199
10 VIN unit is $us299

That's not bad.

·
Super Moderator
1,712 Posts
True... it's not bad but no VIN limit is better.
yep, which makes my no VIN limited Dongle (almost) priceless ;) (I have had it for over 6 years now)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I sold my no limit dongle for $250 and I know they can be picked up for less nowadays. I bought a hex-net limited to 10 vins. They can be updated for a reasonable fee. Older models, like MK4 VWs, that don't report their VINs don't count against the number. I've had my 10 VIN Hexnet for a few years now and just hit #4 or #5 on it. It feels more psychological than practically limiting so I wouldn't get too hung up on it. That's been my experience anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys thanks for all your inputs, concur with you finds. I have question regarding what models (Yr) do they work. I ask because I spoke with VW mechanic a few weeks ago who said the VW had endured they don't work on the later models. Any comments please?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts