Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a major problem and would appreciate any suggestions. New Zealand new 2003 V8 100,000km.

Had a front grinding noise develop, not loud but noticable around 40-55km/h upwards. Took it to local dealer thinking it was new brake callipers they had fitted but no. They put the microphones on it and traced to front diff. Said most likely drive shaft input bearing but could be axle bearings. Got a 2nd opinion from anther VW dealer and they first said universal bearing but then found noice and dirty oil in transfer case. Had to get them to put back on jack to check fron diff oil and thay was dirty also. My guess is the fron diff is the main problem but after reading horror stories of the transfer case being stripped only for the noise to remin I am trying to correct diagnose the problem.

I have read the blogs re diff bearing problems etc but I guess short of perhaps stripping the diff first and then the transfer case it is hard to tell.

Any suggestions on how to trace the real cause and the most likely cause appreciated.Can anyone also suggest an expert in the Auckland area for this type of problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had my front diff replaced becuase of a noisy bearing. Also had the tranny replaced..total cost of $9800 luckily covered under extended warranty!

·
Registered
4 Posts
How did you get on...I am in Auckland also and my hanger bearing on the drive shaft failed...same grinding noise you described. I got a new genuine drive shaft as I heard stories if replaced hanger bearings not being balanced and prone to collapsing again!! Anyway keen to hear what the outcome of yours is. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts