Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Denver Colorado,
I have a 2005 V8 and the check engine light is on. Took it to my regular mechanic and they can't view much in regards to the issues reported other than:

Heated O2 Sensor
B1S1
B1S2

SO basically Block 1 front and back O2 sensor. However there are my questions:
( I am not having any driveability issues)

1. Is there anyone available to help me diagnose this further with a VCom or similar? ( the dealer wants $120 )

2. I need to get emissions done this months and with all of the xmas shopping I do not want to necessary spend money in repairs.

3. However if based in your experience there are no work arounds where is the best and more economical place to take my Egg here in the Metro areaand get those O2 sensors changed?

4. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and I want to know if I can do those repairs in my garage? ( Any DIYdocumentation, videos or tutorial are appreciated.)

Thank you and I am looking forward to hear back from you.

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
A good shop should have either a Snap On scanner capable of scanning VW modules or VCDS (aka VAG COM) to scan your car.

I'd want to know what the error was. Are the sensors reading too high, too low, not ready when they should be? The cold weather we've been having lately might cause them to throw an error code of they're not heating up as quickly as the computer thinks they should.

VCDS is a little expensive, but worth it IMHO if you want t diagnose things like this and be able to figure out if it's something you can repair at home or if it's something best left to your mechanic.

Sorry, I'm up north of you, so I don't know of any good independent VW-friendly shops in the Denver metro area.

Worst case scenario: Reset the codes, drive it a few times to let the computer reset the emissions-ready status, and if the MIL stays off, run it through the e-test and see if it passes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TY. FSJ, I have received information about a place in Parker called Parker Imports.
Forgot to metion that the Check engine light is been on for at least 2 months.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
TY. FSJ, I have received information about a place in Parker called Parker Imports.
Forgot to metion that the Check engine light is been on for at least 2 months.
LOL! Sounds like Car Talk on NPR!!! (For our non-US members, it is a radio show about car repair that was on National Public Radio for years and is now in syndicated re-runs)

Looks like they service Audi, so they'll have all the equipment for your VW.

There are coupons on their website. Every little bit helps!

••• Parker Imports ••• | Coupons

·
Registered
8 Posts
This may sound a bit unconventional but it's worth a shot and will cost less than 25 bucks to do.

1. remove your throttle body

2. Clean it with throttle body cleaner. Use a toothbrush or cloth to help remove the stubborn gun, if any.

3. Reinstall the throttle body

4. Place the Y shaped intake connection on the throttle body

5. Buy some Seafoam (some say you can use water or acetone as well, but I used Seafoam) and a spray bottle that mists

6. Pour the Seafoam in the spray bottle

7. Start your engine and either get some one to help press the gas pedal and get your RPMs to 2500 - 3500

8. While the RPMs are up begin spraying the Seafoam into the throttle body. Spray until bottle is empty.

Your car will smoke.......a lot, it's normal. Spray the Seafoam as fast as you can until you hear the engine sound like it's going to die. At that point, stop, let the engine recover and reapply Seafoam. This method will saturate your o2 sensors and CATs. The unburned Seafoam should help raise the CAT temps and burn off / clean the gunk out. If you want, you can get another bottle of Seafoam and pour it in your gas tank.

9. Change your intake air filters and clean your MAFs too if you want, it can only help. (You may want to do this first)

I performed this on my car (2004 VW Touareg) and all my codes are gone except my brake booster and 1 o2 sensor. My cat had failed readiness before this routine and now it passed. Fuel economy is way better too. I was getting 300 or less mph city and now I'm 370 mph city. I just have to replace my o2s and I'm a happy man. Again, all I listed here should cost no more than 70 bucks including filters and MAF cleaner too. The part removals are really easy as well.

I hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it has been a while since I wanted to attempt the process that trstanley3 suggested ( Thank you for that). However recently had to replace the oil pan and that required the engine to be lifted.... guess what I've found? a hose from the auxiliary pump was cracked. Once the hose was replaced, the O2 error disappeared.
I am going to do the Seafoam process as I know it will clean all those other components, but I though I would share this with you.

Thank you everyone for the great ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.