Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a lot of time to type out everything as I need to let the shop know if I want them do the work..

Long story short...i've been throwing random misfire codes for the past 2 months..
Engine stalls under load
White smoke out the back when under load within the first 20 min.. of driving.

I replaced the plugs & coil packs last month...noted that there was oil accumulated in the 2nd cylinder, right side (from front).

Shop diagnosis is failing/weak fuel injector and recommends replacing all 8

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
injectors do cost a lot of $$$, misfire can be caused by lot of things, like vacuum leak, fuel pumps, O2 sensors, NOX sensors, MAF, plugs, coils, throttle and more. you can take off all the injectors and take them to professional to clean them and see if some of them are not spraying fuel correctly. as far as i know FSI V8s have very high preassure fuel system and its as easy as an early V8 to do injector swap by yourself. also i know that all FSI engines have problem of carbon buildup in intake system that needs cleaning time to time. do you have fault codes? post them here so the other members will see it,
kind regards, Nikoloz

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,415 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Cleaned your MAF sensor(s) recently??? That solved my misfire and lean bank problems.

You'd only be out the cost of the sensor cleaner if it doesn't solve the problem. And you'd have clean(er) sensors, so it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of you were spot on.
Ultimately I ended up having the work done.... exPENSIVE! ...but worth it as the truck runs like new.
Ended up being sever carbon buildup described by Nikoloz and shown in the video in the link to the thread that Nickyt posted.
No way I could have tackled the job myself. Had all 8 injectors replaced and the shop used crushed walnut shells to clean the carbon buildup. First i'd ever heard of that method but they had seen the problem many times before and finally determined it to be the best approach. Similar to the video in the other thread, the buildup was heavy and I'm only at a little over 80,000 miles on my 2008 V8. For the oil leak in the cylinder 2 bay they recommended that I just monitor it over the next few months by removing the plugs and checking.
Overall i'm chalking this up as one more quirk of this otherwise great vehicle. Guess i'm in it for the long run now. I've spent well over 5K on the thing over the past year. Cheaper than buying a brand new vehicle that doesn't really tickle my fancy....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a lot of carbon buildup for only 80K!

Be sure to run the recommended synthetic oil and change it out according to the schedule.
I purchased it used in 2012 with 28K on the odo. I'm 2nd owner and i've always had service performed at dealer using synthetic....except for the LAST oil change I got dumb and lazy after all these years and had the oil change done at Midas.. But that was only about 2 months ago...

I've always run premium gas from Shell or Exxon. Always kept up with regular oil change intervals and pretty much had all recommended services performed since I had a certified pre-owned extended warranty.

The shop said they'd seen excessive buildup on models with as little as 60K on the odo...
So i'm not sure there's anything more I could have done to prevent it....like you said, I guess it's just something these FSI engines are prone to?

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,415 Posts
Yes. With the Pre FSI engine, the fuel injectors sprayed high quality detergent gasoline at the intake valves, cleaning both the valves and some of the intake manifold.

With the FSI directly spraying gas into the cylinders, the cleaning agents in the gas never get to touch the intake valves or manifold. Effectively you are running the equivalent of non detergent gasoline... as far as the intake system is concerned.

The results are pretty obvious.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
thanks for the update, the carbon buildup is a big problem in FSI and othe direct injection engines, crushed nutshells or sodablasting are one of the best solutions. im running my own blasting shop here in Georgia, Tbilisi and we use soda to blast engine parts as it also desolves in water and be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2004 V8
31 Posts
@nikoloz your insights here are great. Here is a history of codes:

Swapped coils around (w 7&8 since never errors)

then swapped plugs between 5&8.

insights?

how easy is it to change injectors or is there something else I should try first (cheapest to most expensive) haha

·
Registered
2004 V8
31 Posts
Fixed a vacuum leak and it runs better... still getting misfires, but runs smoother and MIL cleared. It's down to intake manifold and/or injectors. Are reconditioned/cleaned ones any good?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had great success rerouting the PCV system on Audi VW V6 and V8 motors. Remove the PCV valve Plug the hose to the intake manifold then run the breather hose to the air box, drill a hole and use a threaded nipple. Make the hole on the atmosphere side of the air box before the filter. Some vehicles have a plate inside the air box which can help serve to condense any moisture so it doesn't get sucked into the filter paper. I usually try to direct the breather air flow towards this plate and change to a washable high flow filter. You can always add a plate too.
Doing this will help prevent oil getting sucked into the intake and gumming up your valves. Plus if you have an air leak in your breather system your manifold never sees it and your annoying misfires disappear like magic! Theoretically your fuel octane level will also not drop due to contamination from crankcase gases. Bonus!
If you have blowby issues you may want to also run a catch can between the breather and air box to reduce the oil and moisture reaching the filter.
All comments and reasons why to and not to do this are welcome. I just know my older 150k mile vehicles run better afterwards...

·
Registered
2004 V8
31 Posts
I've had great success rerouting the PCV system on Audi VW V6 and V8 motors. Remove the PCV valve Plug the hose to the intake manifold then run the breather hose to the air box, drill a hole and use a threaded nipple. Make the hole on the atmosphere side of the air box before the filter. Some vehicles have a plate inside the air box which can help serve to condense any moisture so it doesn't get sucked into the filter paper. I usually try to direct the breather air flow towards this plate and change to a washable high flow filter. You can always add a plate too.
Doing this will help prevent oil getting sucked into the intake and gumming up your valves. Plus if you have an air leak in your breather system your manifold never sees it and your annoying misfires disappear like magic! Theoretically your fuel octane level will also not drop due to contamination from crankcase gases. Bonus!
If you have blowby issues you may want to also run a catch can between the breather and air box to reduce the oil and moisture reaching the filter.
All comments and reasons why to and not to do this are welcome. I just know my older 150k mile vehicles run better afterwards...
This is a cool idea. Do you have a little graphic map? It just might be more visually understood. I think I get it from your words too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts