Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, My V8 is riding really harsh and after checking all the components on the drive train with the mechanic we think the shocks might be bad, working particularly stiff on short imperfections like small bumps. The air suspension is working fine goes up and down and stays in the right hight.

is there anyone out there that knows the part number for the front suspension shocks

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
local VW parts department should be able to tell you this when you give them your VIN number

Also ... FYI ... you didnt mention which V8 ... there are a couple (petrol and diesel) and that will maybe change part numbers

·
Registered
2004, V10, AYH
104 Posts
Do you have VCDS?
Worthwhile to check that they're getting the right signals.

Worn out shocks won't get hard, they will go soft.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Sigh. Nobody will post a VCDS scan anymore, but it seems they are happy to spend 4 digits swapping out parts.

The air shocks have an electronic damping system. That should be checked.

Does changing from sport mode to comfort mode make any difference? It should.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Shut Up and Take My $$$$ !!!

Why diagnose stuff when you can just throw parts at it? There's only like 20+ different components to controlling that system... he will get it eventually.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys, it´s a facelift 2009 V8 4.2 FSI. I´m done taking it to the VW dealer as they always charge 2/3 x the price of the spare parts and they will never fix anything just put a new spare. I took it to my regular mechanic he is pretty familiar with VW and Audi but Air Suspension is outside of his comfort zone. We scan it in full and no faults on any of the suspension or other modules, we road test it and it seems like the shocks are not working on short bumps like small potholes, cracks, and minor stuff, is like a GTI suspension in those situations, but on the highway, if it's uneven it will copy the terrain just fine also. and they got squeaky, the reason I'm asking for the spare part number, is because I got quoted around $ 600 to fix them in a specialize suspension shop and that seems a bit high so I want to check how much it is to just buy the new shocks and put my airbags on them. PS: I´m in Argentina so prices are 2x the US price

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I will bet that the shock is getting the wrong voltage to the dampers. That is making the shocks really stiff. If I am right, you can replace all four shocks and the problem will remain as the issue is not in the shock itself.

PS: It is good to post the vcds scan, even if the error report is negative. It shuts us up a lot faster. LOLz.

Now, drive it in both sport, auto, and comfort modes and report back. No need to change heights, we just need what is asked for. There is nothing more we can do for you until that is done.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The damping force of the CDC two-pipe gas shock absorber can be adjusted over a wide range by an electrically controlled valve mounted externally on the damper. By changing the current to the solenoid, the oil flow through the CDC valve, and thus the damping force, can be adjusted to the instantaneous requirements within a few milliseconds. Oil flows through the CDC valve in the same way in both rebound and bump directions. The check valve function of the piston and the bottom valve ensures this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gu Guys thanks for the replies. I will take it to a different mechanic tomorrow to scan again and will report back.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
You just need to drive it in comfort mode and then drive the same trip in sport mode and tell us how it reacts. If they feel the same, you have just failed the test. IE: I can tell you if it is the CDC from the test drive results.

If it is the CDC you start by checking the wiring for damage and getting voltage readings at each shock. If it is not CDC, we go back to trying to diagnose.

Sigh. At this point... are we are going to find out that we have 22 inch rims with a 20 series tire on it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do that tomorrow and report back.. haha no 22 on it, just regular boring 18´s with 255/55 Yokos X CV

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You just need to drive it in comfort mode and then drive the same trip in sport mode and tell us how it reacts. If they feel the same, you have just failed the test. IE: I can tell you if it is the CDC from the test drive results.

If it is the CDC you start by checking the wiring for damage and getting voltage readings at each shock. If it is not CDC, we go back to trying to diagnose.

Sigh. At this point... are we are going to find out that we have 22 inch rims with a 20 series tire on it?
Back from testing it, feels about the same in comfort and sport still harsh over small bumps and cracks, lot of vibration in the interior as well, I will say sport felt a bit softer over bumps that comfort. It´s currently at the shop with all the COVID protocols I wasn´t allowed in but I guess I will get a report later today.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Yeah. The CDC system is borked and your shocks are locked at max stiffness. Comfort should be really soft and sport should be hard with auto working in between these two.

You need to use vcds to scan the air suspension controller for errors. Also check each of the 4 shocks for the wiring connector that connects to the CDC valve. Inspect for damage to the wiring harness and record the voltage at each shock. You might have to back track from there and check both the +12V wiring all the way back to the fuse box and check the ground wire also.

You might need to share a copy of the air suspension study guide above with the shop. It helps a lot with diagnosis to understand the system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nick, thanks for all the info will share the guide and your suggestion with the shop and see if I can get it to check under your recommendations. Air suspension is common here but also rare so not many shops have any clue of what might be the problem, they all tell me ohh might be the arms or a bushing, but is not I can tell the car is riding like **** and has nothing to do with bushings or links or any of that. So hopefully they can find out where the problem is and solve it. Will report back later today and see if I have better news. Again thanks a lot for all the info and recommendations.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The afternoon report seems like the other mechanic didn´t check much. The suspension is working no errors or faults.. bushings bad bushings on both sides ! I hope that fixes the harsh ride, he sends me a video of braking and you can see the wheel moving backward, and the broken bushings. Could not get a picture of the scan but he mentioned scanning all the modules and all suspension components and no faults.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Shut Up and Take My $$$$ !!!

Why diagnose stuff when you can just throw parts at it? There's only like 20+ different components to controlling that system... he will get it eventually.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 (sorry off subject)
Yup the number of mechanics that wanted me to fork out thousands on new intake flap housings instead of pull off replace small spare part and install .. WTF ..... glad i found this new Porsche guy

Reminds me of what real mechanics ....correction trades persons use to do. Seen the same in plumbing and .... let me think about that there has to be more.........:unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes. Replace the bad bushings if you have them. The control arm bushings do wear out on the Touareg. A common problem. We will see how it drives after that is fixed.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_362.pdf The Audi Air suspension guide
Hi Nick, got the car back and it seems to be riding much better. Most of the noises and clackings when driving over potholes and small bumps are gone and the car does not seem to bump back anymore, there still some stiffness but I think that might be more related to the tires than the suspension, but changing the bushings made a big difference especially on the road imperfections.
Thanks a lot for all the advice also got a crankshaft seal replaced as it was liking oil. Now I'm obsessed over a small clanking and winding coming up when I turn on the AC any idea if that's normal or something else might be dying?

Hard to find the right mechanic for the beast once you stop going to the VW dealers.

Again thanks a lot for all the input

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
It is also Hard to find a VW dealer that has the right mechanic.

You can really change how hard or soft the ride is, just by changing tires.

With the bushings fixed, you can play around with the comfort - auto - sport switch. You should now be able to tell a difference between the modes. The most common error is the switch goes bad after someone spills liquid.

The ac vents usually make a noise at startup, when the servo's are moving the flaps around. If it only happens at startup, you probably are hearing normal noise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts