Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Touareg owner here, 2014 V6, I have had for about 3 months. Seem to be developing a subtle but noticeable vibration around 1200-1500 rpm on down shifts only, that's about 25-35 mph. VW tech tried to say nothing out of the ordinary but he admitted he felt it as well, would not comment on if this was a common problem with all Touaregs. Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. Could be transmission or engine or even an exhaust vibration. Tech is willing to work on it so I am trying to help him find the source thru forum contact.

Thanks all

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have had exactly the same problem on my 2011 V6. they traced it to a loose muffler clamp. hopefully your issue is as simple to fix as mine

meanwhile, running in Sport mode may help. shifting manually you can almost entirely avoid it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got my T back today, loose/broken guts in muffler, likely caused by ice due to extreme cold lately. Muffler was replaced and dealer did a good job tracking it down, hope the ice build up does not happen again but it's been unusual weather here. They tried 2 new 2015's and all had a rumble at around 1300 rpm, so they tell me that is "normal", I guess in case I bring it back for the same problem.

·
Registered
172 Posts
great, sounds like you had my issue.

interesting that they say new tregs do this. did you experience it as well? I do hear a bit of a rumble at around that rpm, but not enough to make me panic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not notice the rumble until it started to get worse. Now that it's fixed it is noticeable but not to the extent that it bothers me. Just hope it does not happen again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im having SAME issue yet its in ALL gears and only vibrates just ahead of the downshift to lower gear. So muffler clamps?? Loose? Hmmmm... took to dealer twice and they DONT feel the vibration. Unreal. Is so obvious. Any other ideas? I will mention the muffler clamps to them and internals to the muffler. THANKS! Im new to the site as of today... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my T back today, loose/broken guts in muffler, likely caused by ice due to extreme cold lately. Muffler was replaced and dealer did a good job tracking it down, hope the ice build up does not happen again but it's been unusual weather here. They tried 2 new 2015's and all had a rumble at around 1300 rpm, so they tell me that is "normal", I guess in case I bring it back for the same problem.
> gumby99---- so the internal muffler components had come loose due to ice? I am at my dealer here today having them look at mine. SAME issue and at same RPM as yours. What state do you live in? Im in Louisville KY region...need all the data I can find to help get this resolved. I don't guess you would or could email me a copy of the VW service diagnosis and fix??? Id like to show that to my dealer... thanks! email if so to [email protected] or via the forum is ok too.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There have been other reports of exhaust condensation building up significantly inside the exhaust when cars are repeatedly doing just short trips and/or the owner is starting the car and letting it idle first thing to clear the ice off the screens [NOT a good idea for diesels especially - they should be started and driven off!] and the exhaust isn't getting hot enough to allow the condensation to pass right through so the water collects in considerable quantities of a gallon or more.

Left overnight, the water then freezes.

On at least one car the problem was cured by drilling a small weep hole in the exhaust pipe just before entry into the last silencer so the moisture can escape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 V-6 with 18,000 miles and it is garage kept at temps above 32F. I noticed the vibration this fall at 1220 - 1400 RPM and its there right away. There is no time for ice to form even though I have been driving in cold weather. Its also there after driving an hour. I'm not sure I support the ice theory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The ice in the catalytic converters theory is a real issue. Have your dealer research. I’m confident this is your issue once everything else has been checked for tightness. Thx!

·
Registered
5 Posts
To all these suffering this issue, its not the cold that causes it. Here in Malaysia, its 85C all tear round.
Found the vibration but not what causes it.

Muffler & exhaust system around the trsnmission area vibrates, from idle to peak rumbling at 1500rpm. On hot days, the aircon fan runs max, that vibration and the exhaust meets just under the right side seat. manifest into shaking of cabin, and a resonating hum up to 1500rpm. When coasting on straight quiet roads<, comes of as jerking surging jolts.

Identified all 3 mid area exhaust mounts transmitting it. Have removed all 3 and testing now. Either reposition them or change to softer rubber.

Do share in how you solved yours, will update my solutions soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To all these suffering this issue, its not the cold that causes it. Here in Malaysia, its 85 F / 32C all tear round.
Found the vibration but not what causes it.

Muffler & exhaust system around the trsnmission area vibrates, from idle to peak rumbling at 1500rpm. On hot days, the aircon fan runs max, that vibration and the exhaust meets just under the right side seat. manifest into shaking of cabin, and a resonating hum up to 1500rpm. When coasting on straight quiet roads<, comes of as jerking surging jolts.

Identified all 3 mid area exhaust mounts transmitting it. Have removed all 3 and testing now. Either reposition them or change to softer rubber.

Do share in how you solved yours, will update my solutions soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, wondering if you resolved your vibration issue yet?? - Kim
Solved 90% of it. exhaust has 3 affected joints to chassis.

1-At centre, rubber mounting to transmission crossbar-stuff a hose in there and rubber glue it tightly.
2-Slightly off centre. another rubber mounting that needs same treatment as above.
3-At edge of car, a mounting that bolts to chassis ceiling. I removed it.

There is a mismatch of resonance, muffler to transmission. That manifest into such jerking at low rpm speeds. Remove item No 3 above. You will feel those vibrations on the metal tip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts