Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 VR6 in north America. I know the stated frame towing capacity is 7716 lbs, 600 lbs on the hitch. I have towed a 3500 lb trailer (with brakes) and noted a solid 4500 RPM required to go up hills (2500' of climbing).

I am considering a 6600 lb trailer, with brakes. I'd like to hear of real-world experience towing this much weight with the V6, especially crossing mountain ranges (Cascades, Sierras, Rockies) on passes.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Didn't know if you saw this:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f66/v6-towing-19522.html

The above thread starts off stale, but does have many more recent posts starting about halfway.

In summary, yes your VR6 will do it and survive: but you might hate the feel of being up so high in RPMs. I towed 6k with the 3.6 and it did fine but is a high revving experience...

My advice if you do this is increase oil changes to every 5K or six months, flush radiator every other year, and buy premium ethanol free fuel (increased power as ethanol doesn't have the energy content of petroleum.

My 3.6 currently has e-free fuel and LOVES it btw.

Here is how you find e-free fuel:

http://www.pure-gas.org/

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the V6 Gas engine: 280 HP and 265 ft-lbs @2500 RPM.

I don't think it's fair to compare to the TDI (266 HP but a whopping 406 ft-lbs @1750 RPM).

Pulling the 3200 lb trailer I clocked 12.5 MPG, and there were some hills.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
We both know what engine you have, the link is for that engine as well...although there is always a rogue poster that posts for the wrong motor (this would have been easier if VW just called it what it is...a VR6).

My experience has similar mpg with the VR6, worst was 9.5 mpg.

I should mention when looking at trailers get one with a front that is aerodynamic-- if possible. My first TT was like a brick and I couldn't even coast down hill with it (like pulling an anchor). The new TT gets progressively taller and it helps immensely. Naturally this only applies to TTs however.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. My current trailer is a TrailManor - same height as the Treg when "folded". We're considering upgrading to a Lance 2375 (Lance 2375 Travel Trailer - Relax?. You Have Arrived!).

The Lance does have an aero front end. It's the 6600 lbs GVWR that concerns me. I towed the TrailManor to the coast from Portland and needed 4000 RPM+ to get over the coast range; that's what has me worried.

Davis Dam goes from 500' to 3500' in 11.4 miles, a 5% slope.
US 26 is ~175' (at North Plains) to 1174' at the crest, an average 1% slope.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
No, your grades are not right. Rise over run so the first example is a rise of 3,000 feet over 11.4 miles, which is (5,280 * 11.4) = 60,192 feet. This then (3,000 / 60,192) * 100 = 4.98%

The second example is pretty steep (I don't know the run here but it feels around three miles). So (999 / (5,280 * 3)) *100 = 6.3%

My VR6 towed our 6K trailer over the hill just north of Lincoln City on 101 and did as fast as I wanted...there are sharp curves on this as it climbs so you can go too fast. This hill goes from around see level to 800 feet in about two miles as best I can tell from Google maps that is ((800 / (5,280 * 2))*100 = 7.58%

As others can now see (and as you already know) the Oregon Coast range isn't the flat lands, it does have some steep grades.
It (the VR6) does just fine with a 6k trailer in tow. Nothing to gloat about, but it gets the job done with zero issues and will work for you...just at a high RPM. The Treg can rev, it just normally doesn't get to be used for what it was designed...towing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'm feeling much better about it now. Spiegelglatt, perhaps we'll meet on the coast some day! Thanks for correcting my calculations.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Indeed! We love the coast and spend about three weeks there a year. BTW the best Fish n' Chips I have ever found is at Jays on 101 in Lincoln city. Met some folks that come from AZ just for this place.

Happy camping!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Wife ran our V8 into a guardrail two months ago (surprisingly just scratched up one side...no dents), but body shop still has the truck. Made an appointment six months ago (long waiting list) for a recall on the 32' travel trailer for tomorrow am. So the 3.6 VR6 got to head out to storage and tug it home and off to RV dealer tomorrow and back again (sure love having a backup tow rig).

Got to say while I did miss the low rpm shifting and mega torque of the V8 the VR6 did very admirable (aside from being a rever). The truck kept up with traffic from stop lights to 50 mph and I would say I would be willing to tow the 32' with this (even over the coast range), but much prefer the V8.

Trailer loaded here is at about 7k lbs (never is really unloaded anymore as we have two of everything now).

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great info, Spiegelgatt, on the VR6. I've been eyeing an F-150 for towing the new trailer, but would have to give up my BMW to make that happen. The new trailer should be 6500 lbs or less fully loaded, and is 4' shorter than your trailer. Based on your report, it should be fine, but will for certain be turning 4000 RPM or higher to maintain any speed up the hills.

The plan now is to get the new trailer and tow it with the Touareg for a season. If it's obnoxious then we'll get something beefier. I might look around for a V8 Tourareg.

We too have 2 of everything; all we put in the trailer to go is clothes, food and water.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
F-150 is a great truck, I have never owned one, but have to say they are very common at RV sites. Good looking too.

I think what you are proposing is a good idea, try out the Treg and see what you think. If you do go V8, it means an older model (higher miles)...but that means you could find one with air suspension, which would be pretty slick. The V8 FSI is ridiculous for torque versus the 3.6, if you can test drive one and you will see what I mean.

The main reason why I didn't do a pickup is fitting it in my garage wouldn't happen, parking at work (parking garage) would be tough, and the Treg can maneuver the trailer like a fork lift for parking. I am not the best at backing up, but the Treg really compensates with its turning radius.

·
Registered
347 Posts
if your already looking at different touaregs why not buy a tdi and be done with it, to with ease with better mpg and way less rpm and noise

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A TDI would be great, except I don't think they can be licensed here in Portland, Oregon. If you have one you can keep driving it, but you can't buy one due to the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality. Pretty much makes them valueless here.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A TDI would be great, except I don't think they can be licensed here in Portland, Oregon. If you have one you can keep driving it, but you can't buy one due to the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality. Pretty much makes them valueless here.
that sucks...you can buy and sell them all you like here...they even just sold off the dealer stock 2.0 15s with fixes and fast..im sure the 3.0 fix and sell off will be soon. I bought my tdi after the emission deal and have no worries about it...they will need to come pry it from me...pure beast

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think there's a difference between what the body can pull versus the engine. The body has a fixed amount of weight that it can handle, but because we have a number of engine choices each engine can pull a different amount. Our new V8 cannot pull as well as our 2009 TDI. That's why, I believe this is a very important post and a great discussion. You have a tremendous advantage with the eight speed transmission with your V6 engine.

We just returned from a 800 mile round trip with our 4900 pound Kodiak travel trailer. This was the first good test for our new V-8. It took a bit of grade planning and learning some new engine speed's to climb over six mountain passes. Overall the trip went quite well.

Mountain passes at sea level are much different than Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado. So it's all relative.

·
Registered
465 Posts
By the way I really like the shape of your Lance 2375. Probably the most difficult part of our recent trip was a 50 MPH headwind for two hours. I think the shape and height your Lance would've made a big difference in the trip!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I grew up in Denver; dad had an International Travelall to tow his trailer over the high passes. He was able to do 35 over Berthoud Pass. I don't know anything about trailer weight or engine. The thin air has a lot less oxygen than coastal air. I hope to tour the west with my Lance/Treg combo.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts

Fairly sure that you are incorrect about the tdi. They cannot be sold as new or cpo still, however used ones can still be registered and driven anywhere. That includes the states that follow CARB like Oregon and Cali. Now is the time to try and buy one before the fix is available, that is if people are willing to sell them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fairly sure that you are incorrect about the tdi. They cannot be sold as new or cpo still, however used ones can still be registered and driven anywhere. That includes the states that follow CARB like Oregon and Cali. Now is the time to try and buy one before the fix is available, that is if people are willing to sell them.
I'm quite possibly wrong, I'll admit that. However, I don't know how we could get one through DEQ as the test is meaningless, right? Perhaps they just collect the fee and don't bother running the test.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts