Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I have a 2012 4xMotion V6 TDi Touareg, which has developed a significant oil leak which appears to be coming from the gearbox to engine interface.
In 1000+K it drops a mark on the gauge.
I have it booked in to VW to have it diagnosed, however the over the phone diagnosis is a timing cover seal replacement, which requires the removal of the gearbox.
They have quoted this as (roughly):
$1500 parts plus $3800 in labour.
How have others dealt with this issue?
Is it possible to tighten these bolts insitu?
Would a Euro garage likely have the tools to do a gearbox removal?
Hoping to keep this machine for a number of years, so willing to pony up if required, but looking at options...
Thanks Howard
2012 7P 4XMotion Touareg
Off-road pack (18")
Comfort pack
Sports pack
Drivers assistance pack

·
Registered
2014 V6 TDI 180kW with Interior Comfort Package and Sunroof
71 Posts
I would find an indie if you can for a 2nd opinion. The price sounds a bit high.
If the oil appears to come from from the lower part of the motor/gearbox join it could also be a sump gasket. The 1st 7P's ie 2011 to 2015 were often having these oil leaks. There was a problem at the factory with applying gasket goo correctly.

·
Registered
2011 (MY12) V6 TDI180 4XMotion, 275,000km
250 Posts
On my 2011 Treg, the timing chain cover seal went at about 130,000 km. Oil leak was more of a seep than a leak and was not enough to register a drop on the oil level gauge. Had mine fixed by an independent euro mechanic under extended warranty, and yes, it required dropping the gearbox.

Suggest you find a good independent euro mechanic to confirm the nature of your oil leak - it might be something other than the timing chain cover seal.

I do not recommend using VW service - way too pricey, for a start.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have a MY2014 and experienced an oil leak this year. Have consulted an independent coz my experience with the dealer have been really bad.

Found that the oil came from the steering column. Had to have it replaced. It was quite an effort.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Probably crankshaft seal.... find a capable independent as it won't be cheap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2012 4xMotion V6 TDi Touareg, which has developed a significant oil leak which appears to be coming from the gearbox to engine interface.
In 1000+K it drops a mark on the gauge.
I have it booked in to VW to have it diagnosed, however the over the phone diagnosis is a timing cover seal replacement, which requires the removal of the gearbox.
They have quoted this as (roughly):
$1500 parts plus $3800 in labour.
How have others dealt with this issue?
Is it possible to tighten these bolts insitu?
Would a Euro garage likely have the tools to do a gearbox removal?
Hoping to keep this machine for a number of years, so willing to pony up if required, but looking at options...
Thanks Howard
2012 7P 4XMotion Touareg
Off-road pack (18")
Comfort pack
Sports pack
Drivers assistance pack

Hi Howard,
I have a 2012 180TDI and have an oil leak which looks to be in the same location.

Under investigation by VW I was advised that there were a number of V6TDI engines that had faulty (or less-than-ideal) seals and longevity issues with the "upper sump seal" (other wise known as the upper oil pan gasket).

Visually, from the underside, the oil does appear to be leaking out of the rear of the engine where the big end/rear main bearing is (not that you can see in there, but that's what one would assume the leak is when looking at the underside) - the oil collects inside the bell housing and drips out of the rubber seal and adjacent weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing at the connection point to the motor.

I actually noticed this leak at around 20,000kms and had VW (Darwin) inspect - I was advised that the oil was a result of 'turbo oil over-pressure relief" due to the hot weather up there (we had moved from Sydney for a major project) Clearly completely bogus, so I documented it quite deliberately in case of later issues.

Anyway, the car has done 120,000 now and the leak is no more serious that it was 7 years ago (engine really doesn't use oil), but the underside of that area of the car looks a disgrace - when the plastic underbody covers are off.

VW Port Macquarie are the dealers that determined, just last year, that it was in fact the upper oil pan leaking and advised it was a full engine removal to resolve, estimating $10 to $12k for the work - I didn't bother to investigate if there was a way of perhaps tensioning the bolts without engine removal - I would think it would/could be possible.

I have pictures of the issue from back in 2014 and the inaccurate service reports from VW Darwin etc, but did not pursue warranty resolution as once the car was more than 5 years old I reverted to servicing myself, so I cannot demonstrate continued maintenance by a 'qualified' mechanic.

Anyway, this info might help. There is quite a lot of info around for this issue as there was a real run on it back in 2012-15(ish) when the issue first seriously surfaced.

For me, I have stopped being concerned. Not enough oil is lost for it to be of any serious worry (I put about a litre in every 10,000kms under normal driving),

Cheers,
Colin

Photo of bell housing from when I first noticed back in 2014 (it is far, far grimier now...)

Upper Sump detail

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 9.30.58 am.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Postofficebox for your detailed response.
The Treg has been diagnosed by VW as a leaking timing chain cover.
I passed on your comments, but they feel confident that they are correct.
The proposed resolution includes engine out, and replacing all gaskets and seals on the back of the motor.
At the same time they will check the timing chains and doing an intake carbon clean.
It should be obvious, once out as to the exact course.
All up they have allowed 25hrs.
Should have it back next week.
Cheers Howard

2012 7P 4xMotion Touareg
Off-road pack (18")
Comfort pack
Sports pack
Drivers assistance pack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts