Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've got an 09 V6 TDI with the 19" factory wheels. My abysmal Continental tires that came on my Touareg are at the end of their life. I spend a lot of time off road, and I'd like to get a good set of off-road tires; however, there are not any good options that I can find for the stock wheels.

Does anyone know of any good off-road/all terrain tires for the 19" wheels? If there are indeed none, which set of wheels should I buy to maximize my tire options?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Does anyone know of any good off-road/all terrain tires for the 19" wheels? If there are indeed none, which set of wheels should I buy to maximize my tire options?
You're wasting your time looking for off-road rubber for 19" wheels. Go 17" (the smallest you can fit on a V6TDI) and you'd have plenty tyre options.

In 17" the best two sizes are 265/65R17 or 245/70R17. These two sizes have very similar diameters and are slightly larger than the OE spec, which gives you a little extra ground clearence without any interference issues on the car. It also puts your speedo basically spot-on accurate.

If your off-road driving involves a lot of snow, go for the narrower 245/70. If you do more sand, go for the 265/65.

I'm not going to go into brand preference as opinions differ. Do a search here for plenty more info.

HTH ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
2nd what AndrieK said.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm a big believer in having two sets of tires and wheels, but there are some 19" off road tires out there. If you can spend the money go 17 or 18" and get some Nitto Grapplers and go play in the dirt. Yokohama makes some very nice street tires wih tread wear numbers in the 400 range that will last. Look for 108 or 109 load ratings, the Treg is a heavy beast.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
If you're hell-bent on offroading with 19's, Pirelli offers their ATR in 255/55R19. I know of at least one member that runs these (canon_mutant). Otherwise, AT tires on a set of 17" or 18" wheels would be your best bet, as others have said.

Andrie's listed consensus sizes for snow and sand. I drive through both, and will probably split the difference with AT's in 255/65R17.

Good luck with the decision. Let us know what you choose & how it works out.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You are much better off with 17s or 18s which yield more choices which yield lower prices.

That said, these DO work:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello.

I know this is an old thread but I also have a 2009 TDI and am looking to invest in a set of offroad wheels and rims. How did your solution turn out?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Go to 18's - you'll only need one set if you fit decent A/T's. I cannot speak highly enough of Hankook Dynapro RF10's as a great all-round solution. In terms of fitness for purpose, they are the best tyres I've ever fitted on any vehicle I've owned.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My 19s are working out fine but you're still "better off" with 17s or 18s and will have much higher tire selection which means lower tire prices.

Keeping my 19s was the best solution "for me" and have had no problems, to date. I cannot say enough good things about the Pirelli ATR tires either. Bought a set for my Ford Ranger I like them so much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
None of 'ya'll mentioned that the smaller diameter wheels have a huge advantage - more cushion and MUCH less likely to bend a wheel hitting something off road. Just get a set of 17" take offs - should be cheap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the Pirelli ATR's on 19" as well and have been pleased with them so far. They do a great job off road and the treg still handles the highway fine. I did notice an immediate difference in mpg/speedometer readings though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just put a set of 265/65 R17 BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA KO's and they are wonderful. I was having trouble finding a matching Makalu wheel for a full size spare for a decent price. Discount Tire has a database of wheels taken off cars when owners swap wheels for aftermarket, they found four Makalu 17" wheels in Southern California.
$100 for one wheel and they cover shipping. So check them out for a set of used 17's.
If I'm lucky TPMS will still be on the wheel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
18, 19 or 20

Thought I'd post here versus new thread b/c you guys have good insight ... I have 17's on '10 TDI now with Pirelli Scorpion STR. Pretty squishy for handling. So in the Summer I had been thinking about a second set of wheels and was set on 20's. Until reading this thread.

That said, here's my conundrum: yes, 99% of my driving is on-road. BUT, in the Summer I drive out to Colorado where we do some pretty serious off-roading to get to trailheads. So my question is: are 20's truly, seriously going to be completely useless off-road just b/c of the wheel size, or, are they just not as desirable? Should I seriously consider 19's instead? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Thought I'd post here versus new thread b/c you guys have good insight ... I have 17's on '10 TDI now with Pirelli Scorpion STR. Pretty squishy for handling. So in the Summer I had been thinking about a second set of wheels and was set on 20's. Until reading this thread.

That said, here's my conundrum: yes, 99% of my driving is on-road. BUT, in the Summer I drive out to Colorado where we do some pretty serious off-roading to get to trailheads. So my question is: are 20's truly, seriously going to be completely useless off-road just b/c of the wheel size, or, are they just not as desirable? Should I seriously consider 19's instead? Thanks!
You seriously should keep the 17" if you are going to offroad at all. At the very least as a middle ground go with 18". Cannonmutant has 19" and did fine on the Rally last year with his Pirelli ATR's, but it still made him nervous since he did not have the sidewall height those of us with 17 and 18 did. 20" is even worse with low sidewalls. I personally would stick with 17" and my TDI came into port with 19 and I had the dealer swap them out for 17".

·
Registered
33 Posts
True about the sidewalls. But I meant to say that on the 20's, I would NOT get low profile rubber no matter what. I'd get as much rubber on the wheel as possible.

·
Learner
5,351 Posts
For offroad Cooper make the LTZ in 18 & 20 inch sizes. Great looking, performing tyre despite being a lower profile!
Try it out, you should be pleased...
For 19s try the goodyear MTR, aggressive offroad tyre

·
Registered
27 Posts

There is really no such thing as a perfect combo for both on and off roading... Have two sets, one optimized for each. I'd stick with 17"s for off road with as much sidewall as possible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think I'm asking a different question: I am keeping the 17's, I will off-road and drive snow on the 17's, and I'm *not* looking for the *perfect* combo. Au contraire. I want to know if 20's *by definition* absolutely will not perform off-road b/c of wheel size. I want to know if I can get by on 20's off-road with high profile M+S tires. Or should the second set of wheels be 19's because that size is so far and above a better off-road option that I shouldn't even consider 20's. Sounds to me - like all things - it's highly subjective. But I can't imagine those Coopers recommended by Singh not performing pretty dang well even on Colorado single-track. Those things are beefy. If anyone knows 20's to be a horrific call for even remotely getting off the beaten, then by all means let me know. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I want to know if 20's *by definition* absolutely will not perform off-road b/c of wheel size. I want to know if I can get by on 20's off-road with high profile M+S tires. Or should the second set of wheels be 19's because that size is so far and above a better off-road option that I shouldn't even consider 20's.
The problem with 20" wheels and offroading on our trucks as you can't fit anything with a high profile sidewall in that wheel size. I know there are plenty of new pickup trucks and other SUV's that are coming with 20" wheels that can fit a decently high profile tire, but that's not the case with the Touareg. So, on the Touareg, a 20" wheel and offroad is a very, very bad idea.

Nineteen inch wheels would be *slightly* better, but still a bad idea for anything approaching gnarly. I wouldn't even consider buying a set of 19" wheels since the tire selection is so poor (especially for any aggressive tread.) Avoid these too.

If you are going to be doing "pretty serious off-roading" (your words) 17" or 18" wheels are the only way to go with the 17" wheels having the edge.

If anyone knows 20's to be a horrific call for even remotely getting off the beaten, then by all means let me know. Thanks guys!
I wouldn't drive over a curb in the mall parking lot with a Touareg on 20's let alone go anywhere described as off the beaten path.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts