Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else with a V6 TDI with a leaky front main seal? Specifically CNRB engines?

I finally got under my new-to-me 2013 and noticed the front of the engine below crank level is quite grimy.. best I can tell without removing all of the boost piping is that it's the front main seal. I'm going to start with cleaning everything up as best I can to make the leak more visible. nothing quite dripping, just a thick coat of oil and dirt. It does have a fair number of miles so far, but I am a little OCD and prefer to work on a clean engine so I'll be getting to the bottom of it.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I think this may be the first thread I have seen reporting a front seal leak on a V6 TDI. Not much help sorry...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Had to have mine replaced earlier this year. It started leaking right after (1-2 days) my water pump was replaced under warranty (74,000 mile). Diagnosed as front crankshaft oil seal. Took them a few hours to replace. The part is cheap, under $100. All under powertrain warranty (10yr/100K).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had to have mine replaced earlier this year. It started leaking right after (1-2 days) my water pump was replaced under warranty (74,000 mile). Diagnosed as front crankshaft oil seal. Took them a few hours to replace. The part is cheap, under $100. All under powertrain warranty (10yr/100K).
Bumping this from way back. I just found that my front crank seal is leaking pretty bad. Did you get this repair covered under the extended emissions warranty? Would love to know yours or anyone else's experience on dealers covering this repair.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have the 10y/100K powertrain warranty. It was not an emissions part (it's the crankshaft seal). I figure they somehow damaged it during the water pump replacement? I'll never know for sure. Even though they always try to charge for diagnosis, VW service departments are like dealing with guilty people who will never fess up and admit wrongdoing. They want to charge first, then let the customer prove it's a warrant-able repair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the 10y/100K powertrain warranty. It was not an emissions part (it's the crankshaft seal). I figure they somehow damaged it during the water pump replacement? I'll never know for sure. Even though they always try to charge for diagnosis, VW service departments are like dealing with guilty people who will never fess up and admit wrongdoing. They want to charge first, then let the customer prove it's a warrant-able repair.
Ah I see. I am trying to find out if it falls under the ‘long block’ portion of the warranty but am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The extended emissions warranty should cover this oil leak

·
Registered
833 Posts
Keep us posted

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not covered under warranty according to my dealer. I don’t really feel like investing time fighting it unless I have some super clear examples I can refer to.

They also quoted me $900+ to do the job, so I’ll be doing it myself. I suspect they want to remove/slide forward the front clip which must be adding to the total hours. If anyone has DIY tips or procedure I’m all ears.

Looking at getting the gasket ($15) and the install/assembly tool T40048 ($40ish) to make the job easier.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thats bullshit. How many miles do you have and when was the fix done? Somebody on here has the documentation, I can't seem to find it right now

·
Registered
833 Posts
Try to do a search for the PDF document that explains EVERYTHING covered. I know I have it somewhere and a ton of people on here have it including turboaba.. i'm positive that piece is covered.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Okay, found a few threads where oil leaks are reportedly covered.

I got a call back from Audi Customer Care a couple weeks ago and was informed that the head cover gasket was supposed to be covered by the warranty.
Fast forward to today and I got my Q5 back today and everything went pretty smoothly.
My advice to anybody who has trouble getting something covered by warranty that should be covered. Get Audi Customer Care involved immediately and be sure to use the language in the warranty booklet against them. Particularly the part where it states " Conflicts concerning coverage are to be resolved in favor of the consumer
So the verdict is in. Oil leaks are covered, falls under the extended "longblock" warranty.
I'm going to chat with Audi Customer Care tomorrow and see what they say but at the end of the day two things stand out:
  1. If I were to buy a TDI longblock from Audi, this part would be included (as with almost any other gasket)
  2. The language in the extended emissions warranty states "Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the customer."

·
Registered
833 Posts
Okay, found a few threads where oil leaks are reportedly covered.

I'm going to chat with Audi Customer Care tomorrow and see what they say but at the end of the day two things stand out:
  1. If I were to buy a TDI longblock from Audi, this part would be included (as with almost any other gasket)
  2. The language in the extended emissions warranty states "Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the customer."
Hold up.. this line I emboldened.. that is very interesting. Is there more context here?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not covered under warranty according to my dealer. I don’t really feel like investing time fighting it unless I have some super clear examples I can refer to.

They also quoted me $900+ to do the job, so I’ll be doing it myself. I suspect they want to remove/slide forward the front clip which must be adding to the total hours. If anyone has DIY tips or procedure I’m all ears.

Looking at getting the gasket ($15) and the install/assembly tool T40048 ($40ish) to make the job easier.
I just put a front seal on my 2013 TDI the other day. Removing the fan shroud gives plenty of room to work(be careful of how delicate the radiator fins are). I already had a lot of the air pipes off for other repairs. I bought the removal tool and the install tool. It went well but I haven’t run the engine yet to test for leaks. The main pulley bolts and shim are supposed to be replaced with new according to the workshop manual. $900 for it is criminal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just put a front seal on my 2013 TDI the other day. Removing the fan shroud gives plenty of room to work(be careful of how delicate the radiator fins are). I already had a lot of the air pipes off for other repairs. I bought the removal tool and the install tool. It went well but I haven’t run the engine yet to test for leaks. The main pulley bolts and shim are supposed to be replaced with new according to the workshop manual. $900 for it is criminal.
How difficult will it be without the removal tool? The tech was nice enough to print out a few pages of the repair process as I told them I do a lot of my own maintenance. Procedure mentions using crankshaft seal puller T40019.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think there are probably suitable removal tools that are a lot cheaper than T40019. Maybe Lisle 58430?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well Audi Customer Care took almost two weeks to confirm that this part isn’t covered. Woman I spoke with said it was “escalated to the highest level” and wasn’t going to do anything else.

What a f*cking joke to state that a long block and related parts is covered and straight up not stand behind it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts