Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry Nipal_1 I have copied your thread to get more exposure.

If you own a a CASA V6 TDI built before 2011 I implore you to read this thread particularly from the posting I made at #23. We are seeing evidence CASA TDI's Catastrophically Hydrolocking from EGR Cooler leaking Internally. So far the incidents we have seen have resulted on total loss of the engine involved.

Please read and provide any additional feed back you can.

Original at-

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/coolant-loss-on-2009-v6-tdi-80831.html

Stuart....

Hi everyone!

Wondering if you can recommend a good mechanic in Perth WA, for my 2009 V6 Tdi Touareg?!

Bought it 6 months ago and had to top up the coolant after a month or so (~2.5 litres). Then 3 days ago, the coolant warning light came on again and i had to top up with a further 1.8litres.

Took it to Osborne Park VW, they pressure tested it, said the system was fine, so the only thing it could be is the EGR valve, which they want $2000 to fix!!!

From the service reports i was given with the vehicle, this was changed out exactly 2 years ago (when the vehicle was only 16 months old and still under warranty). Is this a common problem with this model, has there been any recalls for this problem?

Anyway, if you could suggest a good but cheaper mechanic than OPVW, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have done 2 EGR valves and took the turbo out both times on my 2008 V6TDI.

The second time was ~ 2 months after the end of the 3 year warranty. VW covered it all, 100% parts and labour. The dealer (Vic Park) had to push for it, I think it was also to do with the replacement not lasting 2 years?

For non dealer, try German Auto Service, I have not used them but others have been happy.

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers bfry,

Have been back to OPVW and they are sending an email to VW to see if the work can still be covered under the 24month warranty (which finished yesterday!) issued for the previous time the EGR was replaced. Fingers crossed.

Will have a look into German Auto Service too.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I blew the turbo in my 2008 v6 TDI at 102,000 k - reported coolant loss to dealer but they didn't diagnose the problem. Coolant loss continued and another dealer diagnosed EGR valve - this was replaced plus a wiring loom and water pump on extended warranty. All up vehicle was off the road for 6 weeks.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
On my 2010 i have had EGR Valve / Cooler replaced under warranty, and they did not even see the leaking water pump which they are replacing now. It seems to me that VW and they warranty are not really good. Makes you think at times should of have bought a KIA instead....

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi I have started loosing coolant and have no indication of head gaskets or the likes so i'm suspecting EGR system, When I bought the car in 2011 it had just had the EGR cooler and hoses replaced as part of an RACQ inspection I requested and VW Perth done the lot. So has anyone had multiple coolers or is it only the EGR valve which generally fails? The valve looks easy to do, the cooler not so--its not impossible its just for the cooler i'd have to do more digging and order a load more spares. (Exhaust manifold gaskets, hoses, clips, studs etc.)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine has just asked for coolant.
Same problem xactly a year ago when it was pressure tested by the (now defunct) stealer and returned with a we dunno shoulder shrug. It was then on the Allianz warranty extension.
It's now on the Swann policy and due for a service .. where to take it is a problem.
Is there a decent VW workshop anywhere in Brisvegas ?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have had 2 EGR valves replaced and 1 Turbo luckily they have all been under warranty.
I did not even know the turbo was on the way out only warning was a rigidly wire light which went out when i restarted the car. Dealer picked it up at service after holiday. EGR valve seem to common which is a worry especially since i come out of warranty in Sept this year.
I was lead to believe that the EGR valve was up graded a few years ago due to the failure rate.
Cheers Brent

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Looks like I have now developed a leaking EGR cooler problem.

I have started loosing coolant at about a litre per week without any external evidence of a leak. VCDS reports that my EGR cooler pump has gone open circuit, however I am not seeing any warning light (MIL).

The big issue is I am towing the caravan and need to get 370 km back to home to do the repairs... Has anybody found coolant entering the intake from this failure, or does it usually leak out the exhaust. Knowing hydro locking only requires 15ml the loss of over a litre is bloody scary! I intend to drop off the right hand inter cooler pipe this morning to see if I have collected any coolant in the low point on the intake.

The other option would be to temporarily block the EGR return pipe at the throttle body and put up with the error lights until I get home. I would rather that than killing an engine.. Any positive advice is most welcome.

Stuart...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I also started loosing coolant no sign of where it was going. I took a long hard look at every coolant pipe turbo ect, Eventually I found a small 10mm pipe dripping just next to the RH inlet manifold. The drips however disappeared down a gap in the engine so very hard to trace and no visual of where they landed or the residual "white powder" left by the dried coolant, the drips did not reach the ground or bash plate. The clamps on the small coolant pipes are not adjustable and the rubber loses memory after time, hence I think this must be quiet common.

·
Registered
144 Posts
+1 for hose check

Mi_eg was very slowly losing coolant, tested by the stealer , shoulder shrug.. we dunno.
Took about 12 months to run out again , I had a look but found nothing so filled it up and kept truckin'
Recent service revealed a lot of white powder and was traced to small weeps from a few different hoses and also a thermostat (or water pump..forget zactly which) gasket.

Swann warranty doesn't cover leaking hoses but did cover wp gasket so it was a 50/50 deal and quite fair.

When the EGR failed early on the truck blew huge clouds of steam out the exhaust under acceleration. One (stupid) dealer told me to keep driving but a call direct to VW resulted in a rap over the knuckles for the dealer , a firm request not to drive it , and recovery truck shortly after to take it to different dealer… :)

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
After a short run yesterday when the car started misfiring as it reached 60c. Which happens to be the point where the EGR starts to open. I decided to play safe and have it towed back to Melbourne for repairs. Decision was easy after a VW service manager told me about a CASA engine with the same symptoms hydrolocked and became a high $$ hand grenade. Sorry for the typo in the title which was meant to be 2008.

Stuart...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Hi Stu, sorry to hear your dilemma especially whilst on hols and towing your van.
Good to see you took the cautious approach, hoping now that there will be no unexpected surprises awaiting.
Good luck for a speedy fix and will be looking forward to seeing exactly what the issue is and the resulting solution, especially interested as I also had an unexplained coolant loss of some half litre recently.....it's making me somewhat nervous now.

TonyB

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,174 Posts
Stuart.....you have an SMS.

Keen to hear your thoughts after you talk to my mechanic ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can you see the powder build up and or leak using a small bore scope camera.
I just went and checked mine and over the last 2500 km I have lost approx 500mls I estimate.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Stuart.....you have an SMS. Keen to hear your thoughts after you talk to my mechanic ;)
Thanks, I'll give him a call Thursday are we get home.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Back in Melbourne, car is in workshop...fingers are crossed...

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,174 Posts
Back in Melbourne, car is in workshop...fingers are crossed...
Phillip is awaiting your call (he asked me today when you might be calling him) :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts