Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed some weight from the Touareg this past weekend. Amazing how heavy these components are. Throttle response is much better. Combined with the Malone stage 2 tune, it's an absoute rocketship now. :) Bought the Rawtek delete kit during their Black Friday sale for $500 USD. Noise is about stock at idle and low load. Under WOT you can definitely hear the engine/turbo a bit more.

Only downside is that I'll have to clean the tailpipe tips regularly.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Can you report back with actual consumption improvements..... I love power, but realistically, I drive around in "granny mode" 97% of the time....
I'd suspect that your average consumption would go from an unmodelsted 9L/100km/tank (combined city/hwy), to something like 7.5-8L/100km/tank

Maybe turn your fancy pre-heater off too for this test..... I don't want tainted results :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
What is your plan for warranty? Will your dealer ignore the modifications (doubtful) or will you just reinstall the DPFs if you get a CEL?

·
Registered
219 Posts
What did you do with the pressure sensor thats connected to the SCR? I plan to do the same to my touareg this weekend and get straight pipes, but im unsure about the hard line that connects to the downpipe and the pressure sensro that connects to the SCR. Please advise. I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is your plan for warranty? Will your dealer ignore the modifications (doubtful) or will you just reinstall the DPFs if you get a CEL?
I shouldn't have to worry about warranty too much, as removing the DPF/SCR won't have an effect on the engine should an issue arrise. If my injectors fail, it won't be due to removing the DPF/SCR, for example. However I could always re-install if I feel the need, takes less than an hour.

What did you do with the pressure sensor thats connected to the SCR? I plan to do the same to my touareg this weekend and get straight pipes, but im unsure about the hard line that connects to the downpipe and the pressure sensro that connects to the SCR. Please advise. I greatly appreciate it.
I just connected them together with a 3/8" hose barb. Packed the electrical connectors with grease and taped them up. Very easy to revert back to stock should I have to.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I shouldn't have to worry about warranty too much, as removing the DPF/SCR won't have an effect on the engine should an issue arrise. If my injectors fail, it won't be due to removing the DPF/SCR, for example. However I could always re-install if I feel the need, takes less than an hour.

I just connected them together with a 3/8" hose barb. Packed the electrical connectors with grease and taped them up. Very easy to revert back to stock should I have to.

Did you do the down pipe as well? My 16 has two 02 sensors and a hard pipe running to it, not sure from where yet. Havent investigated. Wondering what that hard line is for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you do the down pipe as well? My 16 has two 02 sensors and a hard pipe running to it, not sure from where yet. Havent investigated. Wondering what that hard line is for.
I have both waiting to go on. Waiting on some free time and my tune.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn’t replace the downpipe/pre-cat. Smokes a bit under wot when cold. Barely any visable smoke once warm.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any idea/guess at the increase in power after doing the deletes?
No idea, and to be honest, I don't care. It's a definitely noticeable improvement, and that's good enough for me. Reducing any restriction post-turbo is good.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just finished my full delete and tune install. Went pretty smoothly after figuring out how i wanted to attack it. For anyone who does this, i recommend removing the mid pipe/SCR off the dpf section first. You have to remove the rear most 02 sensor off the midpipe, then remove the heat shield to get to the plug above. Remove the exhaust hanger brackets from the body to lower easily, then remove hangers from exhaust while on the ground. I then loosened the downpipe from the turbo then removed the bracket and bolts from the trans that connects to the down pipe. I then removed the bolts that hold the exhaust hanger brackets for the dpf section. Remove the pressure sensor hoses that connect to the dpf. I removed the pressure sensor completely now. After all this, I could then easily get to the 3 12mm nuts that hold the dpf to the downpipe. Remove dpf out of the way. Remove downpipe from the bottom. Dont forget to remove the 2 connectors by the trans for the downpipe as well as the 2 02 sensors on top. The rear splash guard under the trans has to be removed. I plan to do a DIY with photos this week. Im trailering the Treg over on monday for the rest of the exhaust work. Straight piped to the stock tips. I also have special tune to try out after its all said and done ;-)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Can you report back with actual consumption improvements..... I love power, but realistically, I drive around in "granny mode" 97% of the time....
I'd suspect that your average consumption would go from an unmodelsted 9L/100km/tank (combined city/hwy), to something like 7.5-8L/100km/tank

Maybe turn your fancy pre-heater off too for this test..... I don't want tainted results :)
Chew,
Any consumption improvements noticed?
Or are you busy blowing the doors off everyone else "from a dig" to care about MPGs?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chew,
Any consumption improvements noticed?
Or are you busy blowing the doors off everyone else "from a dig" to care about MPGs?
I haven't been paying too much attention to the fuel economy, I've been thoroughly enjoying the tune. Plus I didn't buy a 5000+ lbs SUV for fuel economy lol. But it does seem to have improved at least .5 L/100km.

P.S. - It's Chewbacca. >:)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I can't say that I was expecting anything different Chewy >:)

But I was hoping to hear that there's a slight improvement, as it makes sense theoretically at least.....

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes there will be an improvement, anywhere from .5 to 2L/100km depending on how you drive. My commute is only 13km/20 minutes so I probably won’t see much improvement. Maybe if I lay off the throttle it will improve, but where’s the fun in that? :)

When I go on my next road trip I’ll report back. Previous highway driving was around 8L/100km.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ive picked up 1mpg better mixed driving.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts