Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I took a 220 mile road trip and was surprised to see that my 09 T2 TDI was indicating 33 MPH with cruise control and straight and level roadway. When I first saw the computer indicate 3 MPG, I figured I was going down hill, but I wasn't going down hill at all and the cruise control was engaged. The 33 MPG remained steady at 74MPH for many miles. The next thing I though of was that something really good has happened to my engine, or something bad has happened to my electrical.

After about 30 miles at between 30 and 33 MPG, it dawned on me that I was driving with a nearly 40MPH tail wind. I figured this out after passing a state building with the flags blowing almost as flat as a board, in my direction of travel. So, with a 40 MPH tail wind, there was far less wind resistance for the Treg to overcome and thus, much better fuel economy. It was an interesting experience. I used about 7 gallons of fuel on the trip of 220 miles rou8nd trip including the surface street portion.

Generally, 27 MPG would be considered outstanding highway mileage for a 09 TDI.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you think a wind makes a difference without a trailer, try it with a trailer. You will notice the difference at far less than 40mph of wind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts