Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife wants a Touareg so we have been looking at 04,05,06. Which engine has the least issues??
She wants the V6 for better mpg and im leaning towards the V8 for future towing capacity.
I can pretty much do all my own work so im not worried about little things, but I don't want something that's constantly needing repairs... Just went through that with my F250 with the 6.0.
What ever we get will get a complete fluid change-oil,tranny,diff's
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I would avoid the 2004 since it was the first model year and although I owned one that was pretty reliable, others have been plagued with problems. The Touareg is a heavy SUV and the V6 may be a little short on power for towing and the V8 gets very similar MPG compared to the V6. If 2004-2006 are the model years you are looking to buy, I'd try to find a 2006 V8 with as low miles as you can find.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
well, honestly i have never heard of ANY vehicle on the earth with no issues, every engine and needs care, some are more or less reliable, if you want good MPG you need diesel, if you want normal performance and nothing special take V6, if you want a little umph.. and good performance and towing get V8, and if you you want big UMPH! + amazing towing power and ''ok'' MPG get all mighty V10 TDI :D hope this will help :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My main worries are things like timing chains. Ive never owned a VW with the exception of Type1 bugs, but from looking at pics of the engines it looks like the V6 has a timing chain located on the back of the engine and the V8 has a belt on the front. Seems to me Replacing a front mounted timing belt would be easier and cheaper than having to drop the engine.

I've already had my share of engine problems with my Ford Truck with the 6.0 diesel.

Thanks for the replies so far.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I agree with all of the above from Perry and Nikoloz. I dont want to be biased (being a V8 owner) so i will only say what several ex-VW mechanics i use that i have over heard say before which is the Audi V8 motor is old school (thinking now that is only regarding the way it makes it torque) but in saying that is very very reliable

The timing belt job is probably about as big as it gets for this motor as it includes not only the belt but also the thermostat, water pump, tensioners and rollers ... i think that is it

The kit its self is pretty cheap if you ask me. Here is one link

Volkswagen Touareg 1 V8 - 077198001 - ECS Tuning Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate - ES#250282

·
Registered
187 Posts
V10 everytime :))

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Buy as late a car as possible with as few miles as possible, but you are looking at 8-10 year old cars that don't get cheaper to fix and are now wearing out . . .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wearing out? a VW? surely that man is mad?!!?

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I wouldn't buy an 04-06 V6. They are 3.2L version and the vehicle is underpowered. If you are looking V6 go 07+ as they moved to the 3.6L engine.

07+ V8 also has timing chains instead of belts, this saves the cost of belt replacement.

I'll be honest with you, for the price difference in the vehicles I'd go 07+ all the way...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good summary there.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The wife wants a Touareg so we have been looking at 04,05,06. Which engine has the least issues?? She wants the V6 for better mpg and im leaning towards the V8 for future towing capacity. I can pretty much do all my own work so im not worried about little things, but I don't want something that's constantly needing repairs... Just went through that with my F250 with the 6.0. What ever we get will get a complete fluid change-oil,tranny,diff's Thanks.
I would go 2006 or newer, much less pealing on the soft touch buttons and if you want air suspension I believe that was updated as well, that and DVD nav instead of CD. I'm sure I'm missing other things as well.

Gas mileage between the v6 and v8 aren't that much different as its a heavy car.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Get the V-8. The power...especially if you plan to tow anything is key. The early V-6 is underpowered for applications such as towing as previously stated by others. I have no experience with the bigger V-6, so opinion there.

However, nothing beats the V-8 growl as you punch the accelerator off the line.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I average 16.5 MPG combined city/highway in my 2008 V8 but this tank I'm getting 18.4 MPG combined.

image-2801339337.jpg

Not bad for a 5300 lb SUV with 350 HP driving all 4 wheels with 4.56 gearing.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The wife wants a Touareg so we have been looking at 04,05,06. Which engine has the least issues??
She wants the V6 for better mpg and im leaning towards the V8 for future towing capacity.
I can pretty much do all my own work so im not worried about little things, but I don't want something that's constantly needing repairs... Just went through that with my F250 with the 6.0.
What ever we get will get a complete fluid change-oil,tranny,diff's
Thanks.
Buy the V6 if 0-60 in 9.2 seconds is acceptable. The difference in gas mileage is negligible between the v6 &v8. The v6 is underpowered for the weight of the vehicle. Having said that have gotten mine up to 130mph. Once up to speed further acceleration is pretty responsive. Would still prefer the v8 engine seems to have less issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have the V6 3.6 ltrs it's not underpowered at all! I don't know if the 3.6 is delivered in the states as well?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I don't hang about in my 3.2 and, even with 140K on the clock, I can turn in 0-60 in under 9 seconds.

The 3.6 and the 4.2 will obviously knock a second or a bit more off that but do you drive Harry Flatters all the time?

As for MPG I get an average of around 18 out of the slighter more generous Imperial gallon.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I wouldn't buy an 04-06 V6. They are 3.2L version and the vehicle is underpowered. If you are looking V6 go 07+ as they moved to the 3.6L engine.

07+ V8 also has timing chains instead of belts, this saves the cost of belt replacement.

I'll be honest with you, for the price difference in the vehicles I'd go 07+ all the way...
As Nick says, avoid the 3.2L V6. I've got the 3.6, which i bought figuring I'd appreciate 1-3MPG better. Pfft. The mileage sucks either way. Don't make your decision based on mileage. I will say that the 3.6 is a pretty bullet proof motor (knock on wood) and sounds terrific. But it lacks the growl of a V8.

You can't go wrong with either the 3.6 or the 4.2 - it really comes down to price, content, condition and color. You won't find a lot of decked out 3.6's (Leather, HID's, Navi, Air Suspension, etc). While you won't find a lot of stripped down V8's.

Good luck with your search. My next one (in the next few months) will be a TDI, but I'll miss the snarl of a gas engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate everyone's responses. We ended up getting a 06 with the V8.
We looked at some 07's but this one was damn near factory showroom perfect. The interior looked as though it had never even been sat in, nothing missing, no engine noises,no smoke,ect...The only thing wrong is the LCD display is faded but ive already located and new one and will be replacing it soon. PO just bought a new Bentley and I was able to talk him down to 7K cash.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
How about some photos?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
15 Participants
noobytoogy
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing