Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer informs me they have a bulletin on these tires. On cold mornings, it's a very rough ride till the tires warm up. Anyone else have this problem? It's on the V6 equipped with Dunlops.

· Registered
113 Posts
It hasn't been consistenly cold, but most recently in the mid twenties in the AM of late. I haven't noticed any difference, but the air suspension may play a role in that. Maybe someone with the steel susp. has experienced this as well.

· Registered
118 Posts
cangelus said:
My dealer informs me they have a bulletin on these tires. On cold mornings, it's a very rough ride till the tires warm up. Anyone else have this problem?
Yes, I have. It normally takes about 10 miles or so before it goes away. It was something that I was going to mention to the dealer the next time that I am there. Still waiting for a new speaker - 30 days so far and counting.

· Registered
866 Posts
SUVW said:
My dealer informs me they have a bulletin on these tires. On cold mornings, it's a very rough ride till the tires warm up. Anyone else have this problem? It's on the V6 equipped with Dunlops.
I have a V6 with the Dunlops. I haven't noticed any problem in the cold. What pressure do you run your tires at?

· Registered
17 Posts
V6 Dunlop

Yes...I have noticed this. Most recently I left my car for a week outdoors at the airport. It took a good 10 minutes of driving for things to settle down. Not a serious vibration, but one that's felt nonetheless. I'm going to ask my dealer about it. Seems that I've seen somewhere on this site that some dealers were replacing the Dunlops with Pirelli's.

· Registered
161 Posts
I too experience the Dunlop tire vibrations that go away as they warm up. But i figure it was a fair tradeoff for the excellent traction my TReg gets when it leaves the asphalt.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think for 40 grand we should have to settle for a trade-off. It's been too long. Some engineer should take a couple of days, figure it out, and fix it for us.

I would think that if Motor Trend indicated the following: PROS: Great traction. CONS: Really rough ride at 40 mph in cold weather....

And wrote VW and said... we're going to publish this unless you know of the problem and can show us you've handled it....THEY'D FIX IT FAST!

Agree?

C~

· Registered
161 Posts
True, i agree SUVW. This is my first SUV/Truck so i just thought it was part of the territory.
:-#

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently had the V6 driveshaft replaced with a V8 driveshaft when a major grinding noise cropped up... that seems to have taken care of this 40-60mph vibration/rough ride in colder weather. Let's hope nothing changes.

· Registered
11 Posts
Dunlop ride

I have the V6 with Dunlop's, at 36psi.
Its been between 20 and 35F and haven't noticed rough tires yet.
I did notice after freezing rain/snow , very icy roads that the traction
was excellent! Not any slip or slide driving up to 70 mph on pure ice!
I do drive careful and do not swerve or jump on the brakes as I'm a long time native of winter driving conditions here in Montana.
But I have to say the traction is terrific, if it has something to do with the tires rather than the 4Motion I'm not sure. The tires are really wide, 255, so that has to help as well. I've heard radials with mostly nylon cords are prone to cold flat spots from letting hot tires get cold overnight and that steel cords are better on this.

Leo from Montana
68 bug, (sold)
69 bug
98 Mustang GT (sold)
00 Ford F250 V10

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting to note the number of views this post has had. I can only assume that no one would be reading it if they didn't have the problem.

So far, after a couple of weeks, mine's still smooth. Fingers are crossed.

· Registered
8 Posts
vibratin

I have a v6 toureg we had the same vibration on cold days it may be from the tires but they had a recall on the v6 drive shafts this causes bad vibration at the speeds your talking about especiall on cold days, you should look in that to. we had our drive shaft replaced now on cold days there is little to no vibration.

· Registered
48 Posts
We have a little vibration with the Dunlops between 45 and 60 on cold days (0-35 F) , but it goes away after 3-4 minutes of drive time. By the way, Michelle, "cold" days in Virginia? :)

· Registered
133 Posts
i guess i should ask what is considered cold...i am from california originally, so it is cold a lot here to me...but we've had some cold weather here...i swear!

· Registered
48 Posts
Not to "stir the pot", but in the last month or so I have begun to think that the Dunlops on my vehicle are not the problem, or at least not much of the problem, because at about 6,500 miles I started to notice a pretty significant vibration between 40 mph and 60 mph which does not really ever go away. I have been reading threads on similar reports, which attribute the vibration to either a prop shaft or stepper motor defect. Some of those threads report elimination of the vibration by replacement of the V-6 prop shaft with a V-8 shaft, and/or replacement of the stepper motor. I plan to have the dealer look at this at the 10,000 mile mark, when they hopefully will also have the replacement CD player available.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My vibration disappeared completely when they replaced the driveshaft with the V8 version. This service was done after a major grinding noise joined the vibration problem. All were gone after this remedy.

Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.