Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is in the wrong section. Admin please move it ?.
I want to use a v10 and some of the transmission in an off road race car. Will be rear mounted with gearbox pointing forwards, possibly connected to a remote transfer box. Shafts to two locking rear diffs, one fitted in the front of the car.
Mechanically I can do it, electrically I might struggle. Anybody done anything remotely similar, or even just run the engine without the car?

·
Administrator
4,299 Posts
I'd love to see such a beast if it were made. You are right, getting all of the necessary modules and wiring collected and moved would be an interesting challenge. You'll probably need to bring the CAN gateway module along too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes blownvette will point you in right direction but consider also the wheel direction of rotation if you turn the whole drive train around 180deg under the body (and then into a new body) , she will have 6 speeds going backwards and one forwards unless somehow this is mechanically reversed.

Pete.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have two ways to do it,
1 keep all the standard trans, ( will turn wrong way as said above), but use locking diffs from an Audi car as they turn opposite to most others. Mechanically and electrically by far the easiest option. Only problem might be, will the diffs stand the torque?
2 use gearbox but not transfer box. Make a shaft to connect to a remote reverse rotation transfer, then to locking Touareg diffs. Electrically complicated, for me anyway. A bit more to do mechanically, make up shafts and swap ratio in the diffs etc.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I admire your determination to proceed against the tide of these issues to overcome.

Keen to hear how this proceeds.

Pete

·
Registered
108 Posts
Flipped diffs? Depending on oiling etc.... Hmmm. I'm used to solid axle stuff and I know you are talking 4whl independent. And some diffs are much weaker on the "coast" side too so there is that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No not flipped ones. The diffs from most of the older (90s) Audi cars turn opposite to nearly everything else. Newer ones might be the same, but I dont have any to look at. Dont know if you can tell from the pic, but the pinion runs on the other side of the crown wheel, so turns opposite way. Pic is Audi, Touareg and Shogun.
My main problem at the minute is the transfer box control unit. I have read that it is master for the rear locker. So if I take off the transfer box will the rear one still work, and I want it to work in high.

·
Registered
2004, V10, AYH
73 Posts
I seem to remember reading about someone that got a rear diff lock working with their own manual stepper motor controller to drive the electric motor to lock the diff.
I don't remember which forum I read it on though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From my experience road car diffs will not last. The problem with off-road racing is the momentum of the large wheels and the shock loads shatters the diffs. I run an Audi V8 through a Fortin box and it lasts. The Audi diff lasted about 10 miles. Some of the guys in South Africa have also tried modified auto boxes on a front engine setup. Not reliable. Before the Fortin setup I had a Transaxle Engineering transaxle. Magic setup and very forgiving bat you have to use chrome moly gears and kevlar plates, also a huge oil cooler as the 3 speed box generates a LOT of heat. You can go 4x4 with Fortin and their new sequential box is fantastic

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kind of knew that the Audi diff might not be up to it. Just hoped somebody had used some and found them OK. Be a lot easier that way, but hey why go the easy/ cheap route when difficult/expensive is available. So next job is find some cash for a diff controller.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah.....I tend to agree - but he might have a big enough "car" diff to to hold up, given the tow rating they give the Touareg (I could'a SWORE when the V10 first arrived they claimed 10K rating - but I've never been able to find it. Regardless..), they are fairly large, and the V10 may be less jarring than a higher hp engine. I'm thinking perhaps it will be like when Farrow(?) stuck a Harley in a dirt bike chassis for the Baja 1000 (umm...maybe 25 years ago? 30 :D*ha! 1986! ) - they brought LOTS of extra rear tires, thinking the big twin would shred them - but nope. As I recall - they swapped one because they brought 20.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will give the Touareg diffs a go. My car is not heavy and tyres not big so hopefully it will spin rather than have sudden shocks with grip. Will mean taking a lot of diffs apart and build into the one I want.
I think I want a v6 crown wheel and pinion ( 4.56 : 1 ), in a locking housing with v10 shafts. We will see!

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you work out the ratios start from a 31” tire. Anything bigger and you will have issues. The class my car is in is only 1.2t and I used to run 35” tires with the Transaxle Engineering setup. With the Fortin I’ve dropped to 33” but only because of the diff ratio. 100 -110mph in top is what you should be looking at. The shock loads comes from the wheels lifting and landing. Also, go without diff locks. You get much better control with a cut-brake.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You could always use gear reducing hubs like the Hummers use (not sure if these have idler gears or not). Or you could find the diff they use on the 6 wheel pickup trucks. One of the diffs has to be setup to accept a reverse rotation drive shaft so they can run a drive shaft from the front differential to the rear (just like semi trucks do).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DionB , looked at the Fortin trans..... cost more than my whole car! Need 4x4 and a locker or ATB diffs for the mud. Would prefer ATB actually as it does everything by itself, no electrics to worry about. Did wonder if a Quaife out of a Porsche might fit.
NTDI, already have rolling shell of the car so not changing that. Also need easy to get parts. Hummer and 6x6 are not common over here. Good ideas though.
Locker controls coming from another forum member so will see how that fits the plan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine also rear engine. I hear you on the costs of the box. The box and then the shocks are the most expensive parts as far as purchase price and maintenance is concerned. Excluding tyres which have an average life of about 400 miles when driven in anger.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
What does a v10 LB weigh?
I love the idea but you will face some serious challenges!
best luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts