Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 V10 in at the dealership on extended 3rd party warranty to replace the water pump and fuel pump, vacuum lines and a few other things. While the engine is out, I have the opportunity to replace a few other things proactively on my own dime.

What do you suggest? I recall hearing thermostat, sensors (O2?), what all can only be fixed with the engine out that I might consider attending to before it breaks?

Thank you!

Will advise as the repairs progress.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Both O2 sensors, both DPF pressure sensors, the E clips on the turbo vane linkage. Also ask to take a look at the engine / trans while it is out and look for any signs of pending oil leaks around the turbos and the fuel pumps on the back of the heads.

I just had the power steering pump replaced under warranty which required dropping the engine and paid to have all the above listed parts replaced. The dealer was really good about it and allowed me to provide the parts, which I was able to get significantly below what the dealer wanted for them. They also did not charge me any labor for installing them which should give you an idea how long it took them to actually swap them out. My guess is about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy! The DPFs are $1000/side, even with discount?! Wow. I have 70K mi, when do they recommend replacement?!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have a part # for the Eclips? The parts folks had no idea what I was talking about. Thank you!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Holy! The DPFs are $1000/side, even with discount?! Wow. I have 70K mi, when do they recommend replacement?!
Not the DPF's, you can access those without dropping the engine, the DPF sensors. From ECS and they are $77 Volkswagen Touareg 1 TDI > Engine > Emission > ES#286682 Diesel Particle Filter Sensor - 07Z906051A . The DPF sensors are mounted on top of the trans for some reason. I had a problem with one of mine at about 55K miles and VW would not fix it as a part of the CPO warranty. The sensors are one of the things that triggers a DPF regeneration and because I had a bad sensor my Treg would regen all the time. PITA and with the engine light on would not pass local inspection for registration.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
While the engine is out, cut a large hole in the bulkhead so you can access things later!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL. I can complain, can't I? I'll still pay it, but I'll complain.

Every time I drive 200 miles in that thing, the cost is barely a memory...outrageous vehicle.

·
Learner
4,847 Posts
Tandem pumps, o2 sensors, rocker cover n other gaskets. If you really want to go further with this then starter motor, compressor, alternator....
Especially turbos, even if they have been replaced already- check for leaks around them

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to dealer, to replace the clip, you must replace the entire turbo, no other way around it. Am I at the wrong dealer?!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
have the O2 sensor bungs welded on another angle of the exhaust so they can be accessed in future without difficulty.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
According to dealer, to replace the clip, you must replace the entire turbo, no other way around it. Am I at the wrong dealer?!
Wrong, clip oly connects a linkage to the turbo. Oh and by the way, I'm coming to your place when my DPFs need replacing. Only $1000 each sounds a bargain. Been quoted over $4500 each x 2. John

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts

There is a post on this site which details the clip replacement. Total cost is less than $10.00

Do a search and you'll be able to find the write up.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Yes,a thread by VeeTen 11/29/2011 titled "two turbos are better than one"
Clip # 07Z-145-441.
The service manual says to "lube servo motor rods" every 20,000 miles for the V10, but doesn't say what kind of lube to use.I have been using Boeshield & no issues yet.I would think that this would be a good thing to do if living in the snow belt as the corrosion could cause the clip to fail early.

·
Registered
144 Posts
how are you accessing the rods to lubricate? i have not been under the vehicle to look yet but from what i've read they are hard to even see...

·
Official CT Ricer!
1,453 Posts
I contemplated doing the O2 sensors but decided against it as they can now be disabled through a tune and not have to worry about them at all...EVER! Same deal with the DPF stuff. Can be gutted and disabled at a shop.Most other parts are going to be expensive anyway. So I wouldn't recommend them anyway. Would be cheaper to invest in extending the warranty than getting them replaced on your dime and get only 1 yr warranty on them.

·
Official CT Ricer!
1,453 Posts
Or if you wanna get crazy, import a V6 TDI motor + transmission from Europe for that year if possible and recoup costs by selling the V10.

MIND = kaboom

1 - 20 of 38 Posts