Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New to the forum and new to touaregs. I just purchased my first touareg, 2006 V10 tdi. I love it, and everything was running beautifully at first. Then a couple things started to go wrong. Noises from the front quarter panel and a vibration noise when you had your foot on the brake pedal which would stop when you released the brake.

I had trouble locating a mechanic that even touch this v10 tdi, let alone a touareg. I was forced to take it to the VW dealer for a diagnostic and then they basically told me it was the air suspension pump from the front quarter panel and the alternator bushing for the brakes that needed to be replaced. They wanted to charge $3K to fix it (replace suspension pump and entire alternator), but since it was still drivable I decided to hold off and find a cheaper mechanic/shop to switch out the parts. But then after a week or 2 something else happened....

I was driving around la and I noticed the engine light went on and I couldn't accelerate. After a little quiock research on the iphone and a gas station I realized that my car was in limp mode. After calling over 10 shops around LA, I still couldn't find someone that would openly work on the V10 or look at the touareg, I had to take it to the dealership again for a diagnostic.

Long story short, they said I had a problem with the module/turbo (one side only, the right side), and I guess after further investigation they said the entire turbo had to be replaced. They said they could only do this by taking out the trans and the engine, and that it would cost me $7K.

So basically my questions are:

Do I actually have to take out the engine and transmission in order to access the turbo? (or is it possible to take off the front suspension/fender to access it?)

Should it cost this much?

Does anyone know of anyone that is willing and able to work on a v10 tdi in the los angeles area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not spend the same price to fix the car as I bought it for.

Thanks, Simon

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello,
New to the forum and new to touaregs. I just purchased my first touareg, 2006 V10 tdi. I love it, and everything was running beautifully at first. Then a couple things started to go wrong. Noises from the front quarter panel and a vibration noise when you had your foot on the brake pedal which would stop when you released the brake. Welcome to the forum! Here you will find a ton of information for the Touaregs.

I had trouble locating a mechanic that even touch this v10 tdi, let alone a touareg. I was forced to take it to the VW dealer for a diagnostic and then they basically told me it was the air suspension pump from the front quarter panel and the alternator bushing for the brakes that needed to be replaced. They wanted to charge $3K to fix it (replace suspension pump and entire alternator), but since it was still drivable I decided to hold off and find a cheaper mechanic/shop to switch out the parts. But then after a week or 2 something else happened....

I was driving around la and I noticed the engine light went on and I couldn't accelerate. After a little quiock research on the iphone and a gas station I realized that my car was in limp mode. After calling over 10 shops around LA, I still couldn't find someone that would openly work on the V10 or look at the touareg, I had to take it to the dealership again for a diagnostic. In order to properly diagnose your vehicle, you will need to get it scanned via VCDS. Owning one of these is practically mandatory to saving money on repairs.

Long story short, they said I had a problem with the module/turbo (one side only, the right side), and I guess after further investigation they said the entire turbo had to be replaced. They said they could only do this by taking out the trans and the engine, and that it would cost me $7K.

So basically my questions are:

Do I actually have to take out the engine and transmission in order to access the turbo? (or is it possible to take off the front suspension/fender to access it?) Yes, to replace a turbo the engine/transmission has to be removed. Trust me, I've done it before, and more than once...

Should it cost this much?

Does anyone know of anyone that is willing and able to work on a v10 tdi in the los angeles area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not spend the same price to fix the car as I bought it for.

Thanks, Simon

I'm sure that others will chime in with responses to the other items, but I wanted to at least answer some of the questions that you had in RED.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm at a troubling point with my touareg. I can't seem to find an independent mechanic willing to work on the V10. they either don't want to open a can of worms while working on the car, or are not experienced enough to do the job.

I just talked to the VW dealer in the LA valley. I only need to replace one turbo right now but I figure I might as well do both if the engine is out. Dealer quoted me at $11k for 2 turbos and filters and labor. I bought the car for $10k so putting 11k into it doesn't make sense.

I'm on the verge of selling the car (maybe get the v8 or something). I don't want to sell it because I love it, but putting that much money into isn't practical. I'd love to find a local mechanic to work on this project or figure a way to make it workout. Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm at a troubling point with my touareg. I can't seem to find an independent mechanic willing to work on the V10. they either don't want to open a can of worms while working on the car, or are not experienced enough to do the job.

I just talked to the VW dealer in the LA valley. I only need to replace one turbo right now but I figure I might as well do both if the engine is out. Dealer quoted me at $11k for 2 turbos and filters and labor. I bought the car for $10k so putting 11k into it doesn't make sense.

I'm on the verge of selling the car (maybe get the v8 or something). I don't want to sell it because I love it, but putting that much money into isn't practical. I'd love to find a local mechanic to work on this project or figure a way to make it workout. Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.
I feel your pain! I currently have a V8 in a no start situation and I'm trying to find an independent mechanic in the West L.A/Valley to look at it. I went to Ocean Auto (Home - Ocean Auto Care) that specialize on VW's but the owner was honest enough to tell me that he won't touch a Touareg with a 10 ft pole. However, he did recommend Wild Rose Auto (https://www.yelp.com/biz/wild-rose-motors-whittier) who is meant to be a VW TDI wizard. So you may want to check there, even though it is in Whittier. Best of luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already tried ocean. he doesn't want to touch the thing.

Wild Rose said it's possible to do, but that the dealer might be better qualified and quicker.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just dropped my engine out on Friday for the second time in a few months, if you can get it up to me in Southern Utah, I would do it. I'm not exactly in the LA area though, so not very convenient for you...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just dropped my engine out on Friday for the second time in a few months, if you can get it up to me in Southern Utah, I would do it. I'm not exactly in the LA area though, so not very convenient for you...
Thanks for the feedback. I'd PM you but I dont have enough posts yet :(

I'm just about willing to do anything to get this running properly, I'd rather not get rid of the car since I just got it. I'd honestly be willing to send over the car to you from LA. Probably wouldn't cost that much on a truck, and if it saves me an arm and a leg then I'd be more than willing.
The car needs a couple other things too.
@04V10 is it possible to PM me your number or email?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts